Movies/TV discussion - June 13, 2011

• Start date
  • Replies 35 Comments
  • Views 4,905 Views
Men of a Certain Age is actually one of the best shows I have seen on TBS in a long time. I love what a mess the Quantum Leap guy is. Good shit.

True Grit (2010)

TrueGrit.mi_embedded.prod_affiliate.8.jpg

I am a huge fan of everything Coen brothers and this was no exception. Very entertaining, thought sometimes I could not figure out WTF Rooster Cogburn was saying and at times he sounded very much like Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade, mmm hmmm. Hailee Steinfeld stole the movie and I am interested to see her future work, she nailed the part of a brash young girl hellbent on exacting revenge on her father's murderer. Quick, smart, and knew exactly what it was.

8.4 out of 10

I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)

I-Love-You-Phillip-Morris_320.jpg

Okay. This movie blew me away. Not that it's the greatest movie ever made or anything, but it was hilarious. It hits a point (like most outrageous comedies) where about 3/4 of the way through they try to make it into an actual movie or lean towards drama. I am not sure why this is so common, but I see it a lot. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor are unreal as...well...don't want to give anything away. Just go rent it. Cougar seal of approval. Very high marks for a comedy.

8 out of 10

Tron: Legacy (2010)

2rgkoxl.jpg

Was pretty hesitant to rent this one, but it was free from the video store so I figured why not? It's not that it's a bad film or that it doesn't keep you interested. It does. It's just that there were points where I didn't really care what happened. There should have been more Olivia Wilde as well. Yummy. Probably worth watching if you are bored on a Saturday and it's on TV. Daft Punk did the soundtrack, and that was decent. Went with the movie pretty well.

6 out of 10

Hopefully for Hailee Steinfeld, her post True Grit career goes better than chicky-poo who played that role in the original.

I am waiting for zip.ca to send me that. Hopefully it comes soon. There is a basic flaw in the zip.ca system. They don't send you what you have been waiting for the longest; they send you whatever on your list they feel like, probably whatever there is the least overall demand for. I am always hesitant to stick some oldie that I feel like reviewing on my list because I know they will leapfrog it over everything else and keep me waiting longer for new releases I really want.

Anyway, hopefully soon for True Grit.

PS I lost The Traveler (shitty Fat Val Kilmer movie) somewhere this morning. Think I accidentally put it in my dumpster and now it is gone.

WTF is Blockbuster going to charge me for that POS film?!?!?!?!?!

PS I lost The Traveler (shitty Fat Val Kilmer movie) somewhere this morning. Think I accidentally put it in my dumpster and now it is gone.

WTF is Blockbuster going to charge me for that POS film?!?!?!?!?!

I worked there in my youth, and if I had to guess I would say around $119. The more obscure a new release is, the more it usually costs.

Cost me $16 bucks. And that made me irate. I'm an idiot.

I knew I was forgetting something.

The Experiment - Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker lend Oscar-winning talent to a movie that really needed one more. There was a fat nerdy guy that you just KNOW the director tried to get Philip Seymour Hoffman to play. But alas, PSH passed and they killed off the dork ASAP.

I enjoyed certain aspects of this, although rather far-fetched at times, but that was to be expected I guess. The ending was almost like they realized that they were out of money and threw something together quickly. Just terrible ending.

I will say that Whitaker excels in his more sinister roles (The Last King of Scotland, The Experiment, Season Five of The Shield). He does not impress when he goes for 'concerned guy in dramatic role' (Vantage Point, Street Kings, Ghost Dog). Although his comedic efforts hold a special place with me (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Bloodsport, Panic Room).

DAMONE: How ya doing! That car looks great, Charles!

damone.jpg

JEFFERSON: Don't... fuck... with... it.

forest_whitaker_battlefield_earth_001.jpg

DAMONE: Shit, that's my man.

images

Damone is probably the most underrated sidekick of all time.

BLACK SWAN

Mobile posting here so no pics. I was a bit skeptical as ballet dancing doesn't interest me in the least. But Aronofski is one of my favorite directors so I had to check it out. Phenomenal performance by Portman. My take on the film is that she mentally projected all the sinister more psychedelic aspects if the film in order to become the black swan. No idea if that is right, and probably subject to interpretation but I felt she had less interest in her well being and would do whatever it took to be perfect in the role. She knew she couldn't be the black swan on her own.

8.9 out of 10

I worked there in my youth, and if I had to guess I would say around $119. The more obscure a new release is, the more it usually costs.

the old blockbuster rental coupon scam

My take on the film is that she mentally projected all the sinister more psychedelic aspects if the film in order to become the black swan. No idea if that is right, and probably subject to interpretation but I felt she had less interest in her well being and would do whatever it took to be perfect in the role. She knew she couldn't be the black swan on her own.

I don't think she knew shit. Rest of your interpretation is pretty much spot-on IMO. She was mentally obsessed by the role and didn't quite know how to be the evil flipside of herself, result of a perfectionist/overbearing/emotionally-abusive mother.

Great great flick.

Bread I watched The Experiment last night on On Demand.

Like you I was a little let down with the ending. There was a powerful message to be delivered there but they failed to do so.
I did like the premise though and it would make for decent real experiment.

As you can see I suck at reviews I was more impressed that I finally recognized something being reviewed.

Wally wasn't that ending horrible?!?!

For a split second I thought the tables of authority were going to be changed and I was like "OK lessgo."

But no. That was it. Nothing. Blah.

the old blockbuster rental coupon scam

Ah, The good ol days. A white 86 Z28 with maroon interior and t-tops, a GF that looked like a fukkin starlet and money to burn.

On...well...pot. All I did was smoke that shit.

Scam was solid up till the private detectives from Florida, the paddywagon, and holding cell.

Other than that, it was bitchin.

Ah, The good ol days. A white 86 Z28 with maroon interior and t-tops, a GF that looked like a fukkin starlet and money to burn.

On...well...pot. All I did was smoke that shit.

Scam was solid up till the private detectives from Florida, the paddywagon, and holding cell.

Other than that, it was bitchin.

live and learn and plan the big one