• Replies 35 Comments
  • Views 4,884 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Looks like the big new release this week is Super 8. I just watched three reviews of it and they were all pretty positive. Based on how they were positive, I feel uncertain if it will be for me.

It was described unanimously as an homage to Stephen Spielberg which could be a problem for me right there. As much as I like Schindler's List and a few others by Spielberg, I am not crazy about his crowdpleaser kind of stuff - and that's what this is being compared to. I'm sure it's an above average summer blockbuster but, even though I thought writer/director J.J. Abrams showed some promise with Star Trek, I don't feel any urgency to run out and see Super 8.

But as I say, the reviewers were all pretty enthusiastic.

For myself in the last week:

The King's Speech -I finally got to see this most recent Best Picture Oscar winner. What a rare pleasure to just sit and watch a movie and thoroughly enjoy everything about it start to finish. Good absorbing story against an interesting historical backdrop. Great performances. Great soundtrack. Loved it. 8.6 out of 10.

Prime Suspect (Seasons 1-7) - Before Helen Mirren was winning Oscars and Emmys portraying various monarchs named Elizabeth, she was Inspector/Superintendent Jane Tennison in Prime Suspect. I watched the entire run of it - which was basically like 7 short mini-series which were produced over a period of ~15 years - over the last couple months. My verdict is: it's okay. It's a basic police procedures show, a notch above Law and Order by virtue of being more gritty and realistic. I could get into a deep analysis of it but I don't know how interested anyone is. Although each series stands alone and some of them have different writers and directors, I found them all pretty comparable in quality and I come up with a composite rating of 6.1 out of 10.

Apparently there is an American version being made with Maria Bello in the lead role.

8.6 seems kind of low for 'Loving' it.

What are your top ten 10's, muddy.

Really want to cancel my cable but can't. Big waste of money for me.

8.6 seems kind of low for 'Loving' it.

What are your top ten 10's, muddy.

8.6 is very high for me. I am a grumpy rater. I only have 3 movies rated 10.

Godfather
Godfather 2
Pulp Fiction

If I had to fill out a top 10 using 9's, I guess I would do

Schindler's List
The Silence of the Lambs
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan
No Country For Old Men
Charlie Wilson's War

8.6 for the The King's Speech rounds off as 9 at imdb. It's not far down the list. I don't have a ton more 9's on there.

Not a very impressive week of movie watching at our place.

The Sorceror's Apprentice - We thought this could be another great opportunity for Nick Cage on-screen silliness. We were wrong. This movie sucked and I was passed out on the couch less than an hour in. Cage looked pretty funny though. Still love that guy.

the-sorcerers-apprentice-nicolas-cage-alfred-molina.jpg

Biutiful - Had high hopes for this Spanish subtitled film starring Javier Bardem, who always impresses. It was okay. Nothing spectacular. Grim storyline. Another wonderfully depressing performance from Bardem. Some stirring imagery. But overall, it was just alright for me, dawg. Can't wait for the dead owls and ponytails, though.

The Losers - Was hoping for 'Smokin' Aces' and ended up with a poor man's 'The Rundown.' Fail. Even Zoe Saldana shooting guns in lingerie couldn't save this dopey venture.

Zoe-Saldana-the-losers-300x199.jpg

The Traveler - HAHAHAHAHHA.....Fat Val Kilmer, the cast of Super Troopers and a couple buckets of pig guts come together to make the most predictable "horror" movie I've ever seen. WTF happened to Val Kilmer??? Can we put this up for discussion?

Val%20Kilmer.jpg

Breaking Bad: Season Two - Only one disc left (last three episodes) to finish off the season. I'm on the edge of my seat. I can't stress enough how awesome this show is.

breaking-bad5.jpg

I actually liked Biutiful. Since I'm not very familiar with Spanish culture, I'm guessing a lot of what was misunderstood had a lot to do with symbolism that escaped me. I'd love to watch the movie with Juror to get his opinion.

Fat Val Kilmer has vicodin head. Is it possible for the human skull to grow from pain pills? Example - Matthew Perry:

matthew_perry_01.jpg

matthew_perry.jpg

I <3 Breaking Bad and I am very disappointed that I waited so long to watch it.
tumblr_ljgob3LP9p1qco173o1_400.jpg

ANd excellent addition to the show this season. I hope he sticks around.
blog_breakingbad_odenkirk_100326.jpg

Last edited:
Breaking Bad Season 3 is out on DVD and my pool buddy has it and it will be coming my way soon. :up:

Problem is, if it's like the other seasons, I will feel compelled to watch episode after episode and I'll be done in about 3 days.

Why are you calling the guy from Friends, Val Kilmer?

Why are you calling the guy from Friends, Val Kilmer?

I'm not. Just showing that people with vicodin head have an issue with their skulls increasing in size. But I do see why you thought that. Thank you for allowing me to elaborate.

WTF happened to Val Kilmer??? Can we put this up for discussion?

Val%20Kilmer.jpg

From those pics, it looks like he's about halfway to becoming Roger Ebert.

roger-ebert-jaw-cancer-photo-esquire-0310-lg.jpg

Good call on Breaking Bad. I had watched a few way back, it's awesome.

When I finish Sons of Anarchy which I rate 8.5/10 (would be higher but some of Season 2 bored me, though Season 2 was saved by the last couple episodes definitely) I will be starting Breaking Bad over.

I actually liked Biutiful. Since I'm not very familiar with Spanish culture, I'm guessing a lot of what was misunderstood had a lot to do with symbolism that escaped me. I'd love to watch the movie with Juror to get his opinion.

I actually saw Biutiful. I thought it was so so, nothing special. Low income Spanish guy hustles and try to do good with family and the people he hustles with. While at the same time having some clairvoyant ability. Good luck, bad luck, he gets fucked, it did nothing for me. You see those news stories everyday. I like that director too so I was expecting something better. It did kind of capture the reality of immigrant life in Spain, that was nice. But other stuff was unnecessary, gay china lovers, gay china lovers killing, bipolar wife and bro. Blah, trying too hard. 4 out of 10 Matty Rains.

I forgot all about the gay chinese lovers. Now that you mention it, you're right. It was like, why? What was the point of all that then? It really had nothing to do 'bout nuthin'.

I just can not stomach looking at Roger Ebert anymore. He is way too cartoonish to be a human.

I agree on the King's Speech. Great flick. I will give it a 8.5 only because every movie I see with Geoffrey Rush I expect him to smear feces on a wall and he didn't deliver. I have some films coming up that should be good. True Grit and Black Swan. Still can't believe it's taken me this long to watch an Aronofsky film.

WTH??? That was horrifying :muddy: