Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 943,228 Views
I agree that it will take the general public some time to 'get' the twins thing.

The 70's Pimp conversation is a fascinating one that deserves more attention.

Surprised that there hasn't been more recent film/series/documentary focus on the subject.

So what did we think about the new Mr.Robot episode?

Significant rating change.

After a second viewing, upping La La Land (2016) from 7.2 to 9

I don't know why it is, but it can take awhile for me to get used to music. I am often impatient listening to it for the first time. Anyway, I have gotten to know the music of La La Land and it is part of me now. I had an initial complaint that the movie was too talky through the middle but I didn't think so this time. I thought it was what it had to be. It's a solid, viable story that integrates its Hollywood setting perfectly. There are moments of visual inspiration throughout and the final 10 minutes is off-the-charts. Emma Stone is impossibly appealing.

I foresee yearly rewatches for the rest of my life. 9 out of 10

Well shit. I never thought Id feel any urge to watch that shiz.

There's a fair chance you wouldn't like it. It's not for everyone. It's a very conventional musical. You should know whether you are susceptible to those or not. I am (susceptible) - a good musical can get right under my skin - but I feel like you have indicated in the past that you are not.

Last edited:
So what did we think about the new Mr.Robot episode?

this scene is what makes this show great

Darlene's right.
I can't trust them.
This was too easy.
But at least I stopped them for now.
I can go home knowing that.
But was she right about me? Am I sticking my head in the sand? Did my revolution just bury our minds, instead of freeing them? Encrypting Evil Corp's data was meant to empower us.
Instead, it left us powerless, scaring us into even more submission.
I am not going to get rid of the invisible hand.
Turned it into a fist that punched us in the dick.
And like a botnet, the fear I created is spreading so fast, it's practically airborne.
It's swallowed us whole, digested us, and now we're stuck in its asshole, waiting to be dumped out.
And while we're here, they're having their way with us.
They packaged a fight into product.
Turned our dissent into intellectual property.
Televising our revolution with commercial breaks.
They backdoored into our minds and robbed our truth, refurbished the facts, then marked up the price.
This is what they do.
It's what they're good at.
This is their greatest trick.
To try and bring the truth.
They're trying to take that away.
And now they're moving to the next step.
Yeah, next step.
You know what the next step is? Lobotomizing us into their virtual reality horror show.
Why? So they can take away your power, and I am not talking about your electricity.
And this all started because I tried to hide from society.
Remember? Fuck society.
Yeah, well, I fucked society, all right.
I reset it to zero, and if I don't do anything about it, it will continue to grow in this malignant way.
And that's what I'm afraid of the most.
This dark future that I set into motion.
Who knows what could come from this? Thank you, thank you very much.
What if instead of fighting back, we caved, gave away our privacy for security, exchanged dignity for safety, and traded revolution for repression? What if we choose weakness over strength? These are not the people that made our country great.
These are the people that are destroying our country.
They'll even have us build our own prison.
This is what they wanted all along.
For us to buy in on our worst selves.
And I just made it easier for them.
I didn't start a revolution.
I just made us docile enough for their slaughtering.
And I can stand here and blame Evil Corp and every other conglomerate out there for taking advantage of us, blame the FBI, NSA, CIA, for letting them get away with this, blame all the world's leaders for aiding and abetting them, blame Adam Smith for inventing modern-day capitalism in the first fucking place.
Blame money for dividing us, blame us for letting it.
But none of that's true.
The truth is I'm the one to blame.
I'm the problem.
This was my fault.
All of it.
I did this.
Fuck me.

:clap:

reminded me of what happened in february of this year in the city of Salvador in the state of Bahia in Brazil when all of the police personnel went into a forced strike paralyzing the city, 153 murders in 10 days, almost all commerce closed, commutes not running, hospitals without attendants, hundreds of ATMs blown up, it was estimated a lost of $200 million dollars in lost productivity, analyst were surprise how quickly a metropolitan area of 3 million felt into chaos so fast, it was almost an anarchy dream, gave a whole new meaning to the term 'fuck the police' to many, i really like this line 'This is what they wanted all along. For us to buy in on our worst selves' shot at the current climate in America

Inside LLewyn Davis (2013) too - it got better on rewatching. Did I say this already?

Like La La Land, a greater familiarity with the music made a big difference.

But more to the point, I was fairly dismissive of it on first viewing but it is actually a really solid movie start-to-finish. Unfortunately it is in a category of movie which is not my favorite category: character studies of losers/douchebags/shitheads. But within that category, it really is one of the best.

He's a dick but he gets punched in the head in the end so it's okay. :handshake:

But no, it's astute as hell; it hits pretty close to home for me in some ways; there is a lot to think about post-viewing. If I have a complaint about it, it's that there is some trademark quirky Coen stuff in it that feels forced and out of place. Probably could have skipped that stuff for this particular movie.

Not a super radical upgrade; I didn't totally hate it on first viewing and it is still, as I say, not a category of movie that will ever lend itself to a lot of rewatching for me - but up from 6.4 to 7.2

It's pretty great. Hoping to see it rise in to the 8s after your next viewing.

Has anyone seen Mother! yet? Best thing I've seen in 2017, pretty sure.

mother-movie-darren-aronofksy-ed-harris.png

Last edited:
Not me. Everything I've heard, it is squarely in the not-for-me category.

Not me. Everything I've heard, it is squarely in the not-for-me category.

Hmmmm. I'm going to have to insist that you see it when it's convenient/free for you to do so.

Yep, I'm insisting. I don't ask for much, so, you know, do it.

I don't think muddy is the horror psychological thriller type

MrX
Hmmmm. I'm going to have to insist that you see it when it's convenient/free for you to do so.

Yep, I'm insisting. I don't ask for much, so, you know, do it.

Who me?

No offense but it's unlikely. Apart from my general avoidance of Jennifer Lawrence, Mother! just sounds like a major, zit-squeezy self-indulgence on the part of Aranofsky. I'm not meaning to be harsh; that's what I hear both from people who like it and who don't. That's not my thing at all.

Well that was fucking weird. I watched the movie Maudie (2016) - (which I thought was pretty good) - (Sally Hawkins is a treasure) - (rating 7.4 out of 10) - but the point is, I went through the whole damn thing thinking the one supporting character was played by Brenda Blethyn. I was positive. I have seen Brenda Blethyn in plenty of stuff and I know Brenda Blethyn.

But it wasn't. It was Gabrielle Rose.

The fok?

iu
iu

:dunno:

Have been checking out a few flics during my week off

Fruitvale Station (2016) - It's a good and infuriating depiction of yet another gross American injustice. A few problems but 7.4 out of 10

Dave Made a Maze (2017) - Cute little concept that was amusing at first but it didn't really go anywhere and then it got tedious. Ultimately just seemed like a pointless self-indulgence. Amateurish. 4.4 out of 10

Okja (2016) - It's rated highly but just a dog's breakfast to me. Contrived, heavy-handed, all over the place. I think it's attempting some kind of social message - maybe several - but it's just completely muddled. Embarrassing performance by Jake Gyllenhaal who should stay away from comedy. Tilda Swinton is not much better. 3.1 out of 10.

Logan Lucky (2017) - Steven Soderbergh returns to the movies - with another caper flick. For me, it comes out a notch below Out of Sight or Oceans 11. There are some laughs and it's kinda fun, but there are also a bunch of weird loose bits hanging off this film. But I enjoyed it. 6.9 out of 10

Marjorie Prime (2017) - Thoughtful, well-acted piece set in the near future when there has been advancement in AI, about complicated relationships and the nature of memory. Some really astute dialogue in there. Nothing really happens - it is just stuff to think about and feel your feelings. It's good. 7.3 out of 10

The Hero (2017) - I don't know for a fact it was written for Sam Elliott, but it seems that way. Sam Elliott is an enjoyable actor and he's pretty good in this - but it's a mediocre movie. Old guy dealing with mortality, trying to repair mistakes of the past especially with family yada yada. Whole lotta staring off in the distance at waves. I like Sam - how do you not like Sam? - but gotta go thumbs down. 4.9 out of 10

It (2017) - It's stupid

3.3 out of 10

I still wanna see it/It.