Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 949,255 Views
Twin Peaks The Return

It sure as shit isnt like anything Ive ever seen on TV. The downside is you have to deal with some very boring scenes to be there for the really good scenes.

Im going to watch the season finale this weekend.

Transparent Season 4 just started.

Anyone watch that show?

Tried it but let 'er go after about 4 or 5 episodes.

So there is a new Star Trek series. Star Trek Discovery. It has been going for a couple weeks so I am d/l-ing episode 1. So we'll see about that. See if they can suck me in again.

It's got to be better than The Orville.

Also, season 21 of South Park is underway. I've been watching that. It has lost some of the magic I used to feel with it, but there are some laughs in there.

Certainly it has maintained better than The Simpsons.

The Vietnam War

Documentary by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick.

I just felt so many different emotions watching this documentary. Im so glad I set a DVR reminder.

Its a 11 on the 10 scale.

Watching star trek enterprise, wife says "this dialogue is terrible. " WTF isn't that what star trek is about?

Episode 1 of The Deuce is phenomenal.

70's NYC = Best Decade/City ever

I just learned that there will NOT be a season 2 of Quarry. It's dun.

By virtually every metric (ratings, critical response) the show succeeded in all the ways a show needs to for a second season, but It is what it is. TVs tough and life is tougher, and like the titular character of the show, the series itself was ultimately the victim of a system that is relentlessly unforgiving.

There were several factors that contributed to the shows ultimate fate, but a regime change at HBO and a re-(re?)-branding at Cinemax were of particular significance. We attempted to find another home for the show but were unable to do so.

:down:

new Mr Robot next Wednesday

:guitar:

Love Mr.Robot

So Im kind of horny for this new Blade Runner film. My (white people) problem is............I cant remember a damn thing about the first Blade Runner. I know it was a sci-fi film. And Harrison Ford was in it. But beyond that- squadoosh.

Significant rating change alert!!!

I gave Interstellar (2014) a second viewing and increased my rating from 4.4 to 6.4. Not even sure what I was thinking with the 4.4. Must have been in a mood or some damn thing.

I don't love every inch of it but it's got some ideas; the F/X are incredible; I found the soundtrack music to be very effective.

There are some problems with contrived motivations that don't ring true. The McConaughey-in-the-black-hole bit looked very interesting but was a bit of an eyeroll conceptually. Unfortunately it has Anne Hathaway.

But it also has Jessica Chastain and it is watchable. 6.4 out of 10

I loved Interstellar, minus the 5-dimension alien nonsense.

Its a 9.1 Matty Rain type of thing for me, Matty Rain.

The soundtrack actually made me think I was loving it more. The music was all like, dude! Are you taking this in? DUDE!!!

But doing a post-viewing reassessment of what actually happened - when the music had no way in - I was a little more measured about it.

Nolan consulted heavily with astrophysicist Kip Thorne to make sure the science wasn't too far out. Admittedly, wormholes are nothing more than a hypothetical construct by Thorne.

I started reading his book about it - The Science of Interstellar - but I haven't got to the part where he (presumably) justifies the 5D alien nonsense.

I love Christopher Nolan in principle. He is smart. He doesn't aim for the lowest common denominator. He can weave an intricate plot.

I appreciate how he would rather attempt some pretentious eye-rolly point about how love might actually be a universal principle of physics and not just a simple emotion - rather than make a Transformers movie. He tries stuff. I'm on his side.

But I'm still waiting for him to make that next all-timer of a movie for me. He did Memento - but I'm still waiting for the next.

Which reminds me, I haven't seen Dunkirk.

ok matty I did breaking bad all the way to 5.8

I suppose to wait a whole year for 8 more episodes wtf

excellent show 8.5 matty rains, liked it more than the wire, these 2 shows closes thing i've seen to a latin novela

that's one thing I hate about american tv, make you wait a week for a new episode and whole year for a couple more episodes, shit is ridiculous, just show the whole story and get it over with like everywhere else, dumericans

if you love breaking bad you'd like rosario tijeras, long shot that you can track it down but, school girl turns hitman for a cartel in modern medellin, similar evolution as walter

Jesus fok pal! That's some intense TV watching.

Oh wow. Oh wow.

I guess I can see how people could prefer BB. It's a stellar show and a much more polished production than The Wire. But to me The Wire remains by far the most gripping, smartest TV show ever.

I'll try to find it. I like to hunt down obscure shit that no one cares about.

This is possibly my favorite movie scene ever. That Crispin Glover happens to be there sends it way over the top, right in the 5th dmiension. :bowdown:

Had to import the DVD from a mail-order shop in Poland.

Found and downloaded, along with an EN subtitle track. Will give it a try this week. :thankyou:

The whole series? 60 episodes? There's a movie by the same name, same story, but it's not that good.

Oh! I gots the movie.

bump from page 25 - 5 years ago

found it on netflix with english subs

https://www.netflix.com/title/70205713

all 60 episodes

:hattip:

I am not finding The Deuce to be super engaging. It's gritty which is generally good - but without a ton of aim. It's drifty.

I am not liking James Franco playing twins. Maybe a really great reason for that will be revealed later but for now, it just seems like a bad decision to me.

As far as David Simon projects, I would say it is better than Treme - but it is a long way from The Wire.