Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 942,557 Views
It's one of those things. If I rated movies based on cinematic values and the creative people doing what they set out to do, I would give it a much better rating. You look at RT, and that shit is up there - with both critics and audiences. I mean, I would never rate it that high - it really is quite stupid - but a lot of people be liking it a lot.

But I rate movies based on how they work for me so ---> :down:

Here's something good

The Big Sick (2017)

Very good, thoughtful true story. Movie-wise, I guess you classify it as a rom-com - and therefore it becomes one of the best romcoms in quite awhile. A lot of laughs in there and the love story is good. On a side-note, I bloody hate the Pakistani racists; they, and certain Indians and whatnot, always seem to get a pass with their behavior like every other race is not good enough to marry their children. The disappointed mother is shown as almost sympathetic instead of the odious racist that she would be if she was a white American mother who was going to disown her son for being in love with a Pakistani. But whatever. As far as this movie goes, it is just part of the deal. It happened. That aside, there are a few missteps along the way but it comes together really well. I love Zoe Kazan. 8.1 out of 10

TheBigSick.jpg

She's hot in an obsure hipster sort of way

This derka derka guy is really Trending this month!!

Time for him to retire now.

Season 3 was only 6 episodes.

Sad way to end a great series.

MrX
Okay, I've got to talk about Red Oaks.

I'm pretty sure this is the best television show I've seen since Sopranos, but it might be hard to explain why it's so good. It's just one of the most competent things I've seen.

The show revolves around the lives of the kids working at a New Jersey country club in the mid 80s. Some of the club members and some parents also play important roles. There's no overriding theme, and nothing too out of the ordinary happens (well, maybe one thing).

The performances are all great. There are no throwaway characters. Everyone is real and given some depth, which really stands out in a show that initially feels like it's going to be a send-up of 80s stereotypes. Quite a few times a character has surprised me and made me realize something unexpected about them with nothing but a look that you could have missed. Tons of heart in this thing, but it doesn't need to prove it to you.

Oh, and the 80s stuff works so well because it's just there. There's not much self-aware "look at how silly this was" nor any overly sentimental notion about the time.

I'm almost through with season 2. I don't know if there will be more seasons. It's going to ruin a lot of other shows for me by how poorly they compare.

Oh, and it's very funny. That doesn't hurt, but I'd love it even if it weren't.

red-oaks-tv-review-amazon-2.jpg

Is Red Oaks worth a subscription to Amazon Studios? We only have Netflix.

I'm not familiar with Amazon studios. I think I'm only able to watch because I have Prime.

Do you not have Prime?

You should have Prime, Tron.

To answer your question: Yes.

Not worth it just for Red Oaks but yeah a Prime membership is a bit of a no-brainer. (That said, Amazon is quickly turning into Mr Robots Evil Corp.)

Amazon scares the ever loving shit outta me, ya know?

For those who like Curb Your Enthusiasm, I gotta say the 1st two episodes were kinda meh, but the next two pretty pretty good :up:

Just make sure you don't say your social security out loud or masturbate around Alexa..

If you have sex with your girl RIGHT NEXT to Alexa and your girl is a talker its almost like having a threesome. Except the part where two women are naked right next to you.

ATTN MR X:

Have you seen The Bad Batch?

If not, it's right up your alley.

imdb.com knows too much. It's like when you google something and ads for the exact thing suddenly show up on Facebook - and I'm all like, 'dude, get out of my system.' But this is even weirder.

To explain: I keep a movie/TV spreadsheet. One of the pages is stuff I want to see. I jot down titles as I am checking out reviews or otherwise hearing recommendations so I don't forget.

So fine. I was checking one of those movies out on imdb and I noticed - now get this - in that section for people who like this also like . . . - all 6 movies are on my "movies to watch" list.

That is not a long list. There like 12 titles on there at any given time. They are not blockbusters - they are on the obscure side. All different genres.

I mean sure, I have looked them all up on imdb at different times - but that's in between looking up 800 other things. But there they are, all lumped together, just for me.

The fuck? imdb is reading my Excel spreadsheet?