More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 296,241 Views
Casp, no wonder, look at these numbers .... plus you know native Floridians are slowed paced people!

Last week, 3.8 million calls were made to the department, 50% more than all of last year. More than 520,000 Floridians have applied for unemployment since March 15, compared to 326,000 in all of last year.

Casp, the problem is that the gov wasn't adequately prepared to handle the crisis! Just like Trump! Twice as many calls in 1 week compared to all last year, almost twice as many application in 1st Q compared to all of last year! No problem, DeSantis should have mobilized the National Guard! They can answer phones, right? :dunno: Some other posters residing in the areas of Toronto, Cali, Chicago, they can probably explain to you what the gov should have done better than me! :yes:

are they making yall use mask?

No. They are offering masks. Only a handful are using them.

There are hand sanitizer stations all over the place. We are doing regular, deep, intensive cleaning of our machines and work stations using special hospital grade squirty stuff. As I said, they are taking our temperatures before our shifts.

There are no more big meeting/huddles. They have re-layed-out the lunchroom for social distancing.

I can certainly see a lot of places where things could go wrong but I guess we are hoping for the best.

Took me 2+ days of constant hanging around the computer to get my claim#! Guess it's going quite awhile to get a check! FLA pays jack squat compared to NJ anyway! And of course while not getting through on the unemployment site, I was POWER-POSTING here!
:obviously:

Yeah if you were approved, that’s the first step. It’s a complete mess

I guessed there are 150 people working at my facility. I found out today the number is 344.

Also, I thought we had 3 positive Covid cases in the company - all at one branch. I found out today the number is 15 (spread over 4 branches.)

Casp, got my $275 from FLA today! Surprised I got it this quickly!

I actually am one of the really lucky ones Monkey. I got my first $275 on the 31st and got $550 yesterday.

I just know you and I are the minority on all this

I overhead one co-worker scolding another today for singing.

I was in agreement (with the scolder). I've had that idiot singing around me before and it's just like, shut up.

It's one thing to sing. I sing. Quite often actually. But don't do it when people are in hearing range. Life is hard enough.

Then it occurred to me that scolder is an annoying whistler/bird-caller guy. That's who was scolding the singer.

Ah life's rich tapestry.

Every morning when I go into work, they take my temperature. They hold a thermometer up to your forehead and get a reading.

It always reminds me of this:

V36756_landscape_GE-1434123050321-750x545.jpg

Working from home, like many. I definitely prefer it. I'm going to suggest this to be permanent once this is over (hoping it's the end of May here in Illinois). I doubt very much I can pull it off though, as my boss is retiring this year. At least, that was his plan pre-pandemic. My guess is he stays another year at least - hoping that 401k gets a boost.

What's a good retirement gift for your mother? Next week she's hanging 'em up after 42 years. I was thinking a weekend getaway at first, maybe somewhere in Michigan, but that's obviously not a great gift at the moment.

Kentucky Derby is the theme of tonight's Zoom happy hour... not sure these folks know what they're getting into...

When the shit hit the fan, I really thought our business would slow down. I figgered we would just be supplying essential services - which must only be a fraction of our customer base - therefore we would only have a fraction of the work.

I even imagined I might be able to stay at home for a couple months at two-thirds pay or whatever.

Nope. Busy as hell. We have set records for lines shipped and we had a record day for sales (dollars) in Canada a few days ago.

Wrong again, me.

I thought for sure my business would drop off to zero when the pandemic started but it's been non-stop. Had to reup on a bunch of Uline stuff including boxes, bubble mailers and bubble wrap.

Trinket shipping is not a bad place to be right now.

I just went to pick something up at Purolator. I had great fear as I drove there that I would be stuck in a long line. I imagined myself waiting for an hour.

Perhaps that's because the Customer Pick-up Dept where I work is so busy. They recently doubled the record from before the pandemic for walk-in customers in a day.

Anyway Purolator ---> not a single person. Zero wait.