More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 299,034 Views
I think you meant to say full-serve gas stations.

No need for any tatted up grease monkeys at the self-serve ones.

Someone needs to take the money and start the pumps except for the stations where everything is automated.

Here's a question.

In filling out the tax set-up forms heading into a new job, you are allowed to enter an amount of extra tax to be deducted, basically so you are assured of a bit of a refund at tax time. Obviously it's not really a bonus - because you are paying extra on every pay - but it would kind of feel like one I guess.

Theory being that you would hardly miss the 20 bucks a week (or whatever) - but voila, at tax time, a thousand bucks coming your way.

But then a financial wiz would probably say, no, take that 20 bucks a week and do something interesting with it - like put it in something where he can keep a percentage.

So I'm a cynic too. We have established that.

Just wondering what people do for that. Do we even have anyone here in a position where that comes up? Not sure we do. Who are you people?

Well I am open to thoughts.

Why not take that extra whatever and throw it in some kind of savings. At work I have them take an extra $50 and put it in Canada Savings Bonds. I never missed it, and when it came time to move to Nova Scotia I had the money to pay for the move.

I've always had an extra 50 bucks deducted every paycheck. It's money I would otherwise spend on something frivolous anyway. Totally felt like a 1,300 bonus come tax time.

Using the past tense 'cause I'm not currently pulling a salary.

Yeah I set it up for a $40 extra deduction per pay which is bi-weekly.

~$1000 to the good at tax time.

That probably won't be straight refund since I expect to work a chunk of time-and-a-half which, if memory serves, comes back to bite you at tax time.

But whatever, a grand to the good.

Last day at in-between job today. I'm feeling pretty good to be getting out of there actually. The one guy that I'd be working extremely close to ALL THE TIME, is a bit OCD about some things and I imagine it would drive me nuts year in and year out. Fuss, fuss, fuss.

Mandatory belt.

At the new job too. As previously stated, no tats and shirt tucked in - and must wear a belt at all times. That is in writing.

I actually ordered a slightly loose size of pants which would require a belt anyway - so no problem - I am wearing a belt RIGHT NOW - but yeah, they obviously have some clear ideas on keeping things clean-cut and tidy.

Come to think of it, looking back on my many interviews, there was not a trace of facial hair to be found. No one has come out and said anything out loud about that, but maybe that is a preference too. Maybe it is a good thing I got rid of the mudstache.

ah, maybe they would have discriminated against you if you had a moustache. Like meh, he's not one of us. No huss no fuss but you're out on your ass. ..or not even in to begin with:sparesomecutter:

My dad used to whip my bare ass with a belt growing up

What an asshole, I only like that when women do it

So I got tomorrow off and I intend to get a haircut - shorter than I've been going with for the last considerable while - and figure out where a couple UPS packages of mine have gotten to and pick those up - and then try to decide what the hell I'm going to do about my RRSP.

I've got a package here about it. It's like a 30 page brochure. That shit is all totally greek to me - I don't know what it means - but I'm going to call the number and play dumb (which in this case is not playing) - and just make some kind of decision. Get the paperwork ready to bring in with me on Monday.

Is the plan.

Pray for me.

You get special UPS drop location?

Yap.

There is a variety store right across the road that is one - and apparently my stuff was there for a day or so - but I didn't know - and now I missed it - so they must have taken it back to a depot or something. I'll figure it out today.

It is the problem with living in an apartment building - and not being here to accept a shipment during the day - and not being settled in a workplace. Up until recently I would have just used my work address as the "ship to." But that has not been feasible for the last little bit.

Not sure if I mentioned it or not but there have been some changes in my work situation.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the address of the location?

The Man says jump, Muddy asks how high?

Reno is disappointed.

looks like Loshak has his moustache back. You;d think with all his talent the guy would be able to call the shots, not to mention do a better show than he does.

Sportin' some short hair here though, I tell you wut.

Old dude with extremely tidy short hair. Is who I am dealing with mirror-wise.

I'll tell you what else too - shopping today, I bought some Crest 3D White strips. 2 week treatment plan. Those things ain't cheap neither. But screw it.

Making an attempt though to spruce up the whole situation.

You might want to cut out the coffee to assist in whiteyness.

Yeah dude actually thanks for reminding me. I'm not that bad but had those on my list then forgot. I am with Muddy on the whole picture attempt, just like 4,000 or so beers behind him. :surrender:

You mean the white strips? Yeah I'm just glad I didn't have to take out a loan. They are letting me pay on an installment plan.

:handshake: