More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,713 Comments
  • Views 301,006 Views
I might be able to help you out with a loan with agreeable terms.

Text it dawg

No but seriously man, 60 bucks, I think they were?? Something like that??

There are some store brand substitutes for half the price but naw.

Yeah I probably bought them at the worst possible place in the world.

I am seriously considering being on time for my first day tomorrow.

Nah, they'll think you're more important if you show up a half hour late and tell them you had to get a quick jog in first. The whole interview process was pretty stressful.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

I guess you could say that every day but today is, like, toadally.

Away I go! Ride 'em cowboy!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

If we see a reduction in daytime posting I will reluctantly understand.

I do expect this to be countered with an increase in healthy night time whining, however.

Housepicks and FW wouldn't forgive you otherwise.

FW has seemed extra bitter lately.

Summer Scrooge.

I would like updates, Muddy. Pronto.

Who me? Well . . .

I would guess that my daytime posting will indeed undergo a reduction. I sense this is the kind of mega-corporate organization that would have many categories of sites blocked and maybe gamelive would be affected?

I really do have to get a smartphone tho. Like, seriously - and soon. Then maybe I could check in during my lunch anyway. Of course there are a lot of other reasons to get one. It's kind of ridiculous, not having one.

Anyway, first day was good. All classroom/boardroom stuff. Orientation and theory on equipment and safety leading towards various certifications that will come. There was a big test at the end which I'm sure I aced.

5 of us started today. We'll head off and start actual working tomorrow. Fair to say, I am the old dude of the crowd.

Anyway, great company. That's all there is to it. Impressive, unbelievable. It's like, where have you been all my life? Oh well, I'm there now so I am focused on not blowing it.

One thing I am positive of is there will be loads of opportunity for overtime. The company is moving in ~8 months which is having two effects: one: there is an increase in turnover because some people can't/won't make the move - therefore more O/T; and two: the actual move will be extra work - and a huge amount of it - therefore more O/T.

O/T is major megabux and if I want to make twice the money next year as last, I'm sure I could - and then some. And I can quickly make myself extremely visible and valuable which is a good thing. But I do want to have a life too. So I'll have to figure out how to balance all that.

Good problem to have.

Is the whole place relocating? How will this affect you - Will you be moving with the company?

I have been in the same poker room since 5 pm yesterday and have lost $73. And Muddy thought HE was being productive.

Only 15 hours to make $72 :inyourface:
Was down almost $600 though

:ohmy:

Muddy is tucking right now :lmao:

Is the whole place relocating? How will this affect you - Will you be moving with the company?

Yes the whole place - actually two facilities fairly close together in Brampton, ON - are relocating in early 2017 - moving into one place which is about twice the size of the two combined. That is in Milton, ON FWIW.

This was made very clear from step 1 of the interview process.

I will probably move. I could commute to the new place from here - I guess it would be about 50 minutes each way - but I hope to find a place inside 10 minutes away. Slightly unfortunate because I really I do like this building where I live, but I feel like I am too old to be spending that much of my life in a car in traffic. There is nothing really tying me down here. Jenny may move too but that is another discussion.

I'll probably start looking as soon as I feel secure in the job. Maybe as soon as a week or two. The commute from the future building to the current building is less than my current commute - if you get my meaning - so I can do that any time.

Priority on finding a place where I can BBQ.

:handshake: