Let's assume for a minute that...

• Start date
  • Replies 38 Comments
  • Views 4,226 Views
I think it shows us again how badly we are in need of heroes. Is it the media that feeds this desire of ours or do we truly need reassurance that good and right things still happen to ordinary people in this world so we keep on going and hoping for good things to happen in our little lives?
Shyamalan plays with that thought in his movies (Unbreakable, Lady in the Water) and we watch them because they make us feel good. The weak bookworm who attempts to be a writer becomes a savior for the whole apartment complex. An unfaithful husband who feels miserable around his wife discovers he has magical powers and uses them for the better and not for the worse thus redefining himself. We dig stories like that. We wait for something extraordinary to happen in our lives. We want to feel how those miners feel probably right this second.

I don't think the media feeds our desires as much as it creates them. In a culture where people are well isolated it's pretty effective to create an illusion of significance to almost anything.

Turn off the fokken TV and dedicate more of your free time to posting. Is what I recommend.

The talk of book and movie deals makes me chuckle.

There were cameras down there almost immediately. We all saw what happened (if you watched, I did not, don't care).

Even then, Uh, you were underground. All hell broke loose. You played cards for 70 days and got out. Whoopee.

Love,
Amby 2

Bread and Boner tie for wins in this thread

For different reasons

Now let me borrow your wife

You have to fight Stevie for her, CB.

The talk of book and movie deals makes me chuckle.

There were cameras down there almost immediately. We all saw what happened (if you watched, I did not, don't care).

Even then, Uh, you were underground. All hell broke loose. You played cards for 70 days and got out. Whoopee.

Love,
Amby 2
:thankyou:
:greencheck:

Shyamalan plays with that thought in his movies (Unbreakable, Lady in the Water) and we watch them because they make us feel good.

Really?

Really.

No seriously.

First thing I would do is get on the horn to every single person I know....

Boner,

1960 called. They want their phrase back.

Some of these I do just for me.

During the miners' ordeal, Jose Henriquez, a 55-year-old evangelical Christian, emerged as their spiritual leader and helped convert many of the others to a deeper faith, said the Rev. Javier Soto, a pastor and family friend.

"He told the men that their rescue is a signal from God that he has Chile on his mind, and in great esteem," Soto said. "He convinced them that they aren't the same as they were before the accident, that [they] are messengers of God's consolation to Chile" after the February earthquake that killed hundreds of Chileans.

That God's a hard one to figure out.

Fuckin' God. Wow.

Really?

Really.

No seriously.

I saw this and left it alone. It wasn't easy, but I did.

You're such a bitch.

MrX
That God's a hard one to figure out.

I would have been so pissed off if I was stuck down there for 70 days with someone that was trying to convert me to their religion. I would have probably shovelfucked him weeks ago.