I bought a pineapple

• Start date
  • Replies 194 Comments
  • Views 6,864 Views
I think for most fruit, pineapple included, smell is the #1 indicator of ripeness. Could be wrong tho.

As far as price, my whole large pineapple was 4 bucks.

As I believe I alluded to earlier, that is a more $$$ than cans. I think I underestimated the difference tho.

Well, it's hard to say, cans are a very exact number of grams - whereas I only approximate the size of my serving of fresh.

Basically 2 cans = 3 servings = 1 pineapple.

I can get those cans for a buck each on sale. If I am a smart shopper I would stock up and never buy more until they are on sale again.

So 2 bucks worth of cans gives you the same amount as $4 of fresh. Twice as cheap/expensive.

Aktually.

Also, I have been trying to more-or-less imitate the cutting technique of the guy in the vid up there. That is like a novice skier going straight to the black diamond run.

There are other ways that are more my speed. Various methods of halving/quartering. You can also start by skinning the pineapple in strips - more in keeping with my level of clumsiness - then remove the eyes which are always neatly, diagonally lined up - then do your halving/quartering/whatever.

Just finishing up a good hunk right now. Delicious.

I still have some cans around. It will be interesting to try one of those and see if I am exaggerating the difference in my mind or wut.

Oh man I got some big fresh-pineapple-related plans this weekend.

Boy howdy.

Does seem weird, a whole pineapple being twice as expensive as a bunch of processed packaged pineapple.

I did the twice-as-expensive math last weekend working with a 4 dollar fresh pineapple. Pineapple I just bought was 5.

On a barely-related note, after googling, it appears that there is a Pineappleman superhero.

Was hoping that might be available to me but it looks not.

Maybe the answer is in here already, but how long do you figure fresh pineapple is good for? I bought some that resembleds that in the video above but it has been over a week I think. I guess it won't make me sick...not sure how it will taste.

Not sure. I've only tried a couple so far and I finished them in 3 or 4 days. They were still good as new at the end.

I feel sure a week would be no problem.

Gut feeling: if it is refrigerated and stored in some kind of thing and not just sitting wide open a plate --> a decent jog more than a week.

HO
LEE
FOKKENSHIT

Grilled fresh pineapple with brown sugar and cinammon

ecstasy_by_photoport-d4olgdb.jpg

Ah.

I was planning tomorrow to have hamburgers with some grilled pineapple and bacon. That was recommended to me.

I guess I'll go with it but damn, that grilled pineapple is a MASSIVE flavor explosion. Seems like it would overpower a burger.

Gotta go with a thin slice, I'm thinking.

Bought some orange-pineapple juice today. I liked it.

And just now I took some of that leftover grilled pineapple and cut it into little pieces and put it on some premium Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream.

O man that was good. Groin-grabbingly good.

Went with the Hawaiian burgers - had an orgasm - really nothing else to say.