Got a question. Kinda techyish

• Start date
  • Replies 542 Comments
  • Views 33,131 Views
wtf made me open this thread

Google Search is about to go offline in Australia, Australia passed a law that says that Google must pay all those crappy news sites for linking to them, not for excerpts of news but mere links to them, and not just a direct payment but a revenue share, Google says hell naw and is bluffing to pull Google Search from all Australians like an all mighty God's Wrath, the Aussie politicians are calling the bluff, and soon Australia will be sans Google, who will win who will lose in the next episode of Got a question. Kinda techyish thread

Google Search is about to go offline in Australia, Australia passed a law that says that Google must pay all those crappy news sites for linking to them, not for excerpts of news but mere links to them, and not just a direct payment but a revenue share, Google says hell naw and is bluffing to pull Google Search from all Australians like an all mighty God's Wrath, the Aussie politicians are calling the bluff, and soon Australia will be sans Google, who will win who will lose in the next episode of Got a question. Kinda techyish thread
So all Aussies have to do to circumvent the ban is use a VPN and visit google.com

Bing.com is stoked
Too bad Bing is garbage. Pre-google there were a bunch of search engines, Yahoo, Lycos, Metacrawler etc etc etc, google just blew past them in terms of ability and here we are. I don't understand how nobody has been able to replicate googles search engine success.

Real men use Excite

Excite_logo.png

Nice, what package is that?

I also use Authy
I was using Authy and Google authenticator then I learned Authy can be used anywhere Google Authenticator is used, I always thought they operated differently. So I keep Authy on my phone and on my PC as a backup. I no longer use Google Authenticator as Authy is miles better.

The icons I'm using I got from here:

If you have gnome-tweaks installed all you have to do is download whatever icons you want and unpzk/unzip them into a folder in your home directory called ".icons" you must have the period at the front of the folder name as this tells linux its a hidden folder.

Open tweaks and select the icon pack from the dropdown list, tweaks will detect everything you put in the ".icons" folder.

2021-02-17_23-18.png

2021-02-17_23-19.png

Ok, so I have image files of my PopOS and Arch Linux installs that I can switch between. At first I didn't understand why Arch was so popular.
Pop!OS is definitely easier to get setup initially. Once the installs are done is when Arch really pulls away. You install "yay" which is an AUR helper and installing a program is as simple as typing a command into the terminal.

For example:

yay -S chrome

thats all it takes to install google chrome. sweet.

I'm going to stick with arch for the forseeable future. so many customizations to choose from.

Screenshot from 2021-02-19 00-29-18.png

Last edited:
That color scheme looks good

With any Debian based distro like Ubuntu and Pop you can do sudo apt install whatever and do the same

That color scheme looks good

With any Debian based distro like Ubuntu and Pop you can do sudo apt install whatever and do the same
Yes but the packages sometimes require dependencies and yay takes care of that. Also, many of the packages I've used in debian/ubuntu distros are flaky compared to the arch versions. The only bad thing about arch compared to ubuntu/pop is the installation process. In pop its extremely easy. But after the install is where arch is best. IMO, WAL. The PoP package installer is not very good. It can be very slow and there are usually issues when adding ppa's etc. I'm not a command line junkie as I don't really like typing but its easy enough to keep a text file with a bunch of commands on it and just copy/paste what you need in to the terminal and hit enter. I now prefer using the command line for installing/removing programs as it works best. Especially for removing software, it never hangs or fails like the GUI software installers do.

I've installed arch once via the command line, slow as fuck and I don't see any reason to do an install via text. It should have a GUI.
Having said that there are scripts that make installing arch much faster/easier and I personally use archfi.

Last edited: