Big Nerds Club

• Start date
  • Replies 73 Comments
  • Views 1,528 Views
D&D is an absolute blast. Just ran a campaign on zoom during pandemic, my first time playing.

Basically an open world roleplaying game where you can attempt to do basically anything. The Dungeon Master runs the game and instructs you on what you need to roll to succeed.

You meet an old man in the bar. You could talk to him, attack him, attempt to pickpocket him, whatever. When you declare your action the DM sets a difficulty bar and you roll for it. Same in combat, you have to roll for attacks etc.

The random chance makes it awesome. A shitty plan can work with some great rolls and a great plan might fail with some bad ones. Like life.

Already thinking of the possibilities in my head. "You enter the riverbank and hear a hideous noise. Your best guess is that it's a gurgling fart. As you approach, you see him; Scommer the Troll Thief. How do you proceed?"

• LOL
Reactions: IAG
Both kids have been really into Pokemon for a year. We have tons of cards - I don't really get it, but they seem to enjoy battling.

D&D is an absolute blast. Just ran a campaign on zoom during pandemic, my first time playing.

Basically an open world roleplaying game where you can attempt to do basically anything. The Dungeon Master runs the game and instructs you on what you need to roll to succeed.

You meet an old man in the bar. You could talk to him, attack him, attempt to pickpocket him, whatever. When you declare your action the DM sets a difficulty bar and you roll for it. Same in combat, you have to roll for attacks etc.

The random chance makes it awesome. A shitty plan can work with some great rolls and a great plan might fail with some bad ones. Like life.

Already thinking of the possibilities in my head. "You enter the riverbank and hear a hideous noise. Your best guess is that it's a gurgling fart. As you approach, you see him; Scommer the Troll Thief. How do you proceed?"
I wasn't getting it at all until Scommer farted, now I can picture the whole scene

Little did I know that one of my best buds is pretty big into MTG. We both started playing the digital version (MTG Arena) at the same time and we're hooked. Much more convenient and faster to play the video game than the original card game.

There are world championships of this shiz. Unreal.

World of Warcraft Hearthstone is fun too. It's crazy quick and there's tons of layers of play/strategy.

MTG Arena is fokking crack

I still read about MTG quite a bit, on Reddit and shit, but yeah I haven't actually played in a while.

Playing chess (Chess.com and Lichess apps) these days.

And I still solve the 3x3 Rubik's cube near-daily, usually in the morning. 4-5 quick solves while kiddo is getting ready for school.

all types of rubik cubes

Bluetooth speaker w/analog radio dial yeah. Sounds pretty good (for a mono speaker.)

Boys, we're buying into Sorcery Contested Realm. Like MTG with dimensional component (play board) as well. Not yet sold out so they've pledged only 1 expansion per year. Artists retain the copyright to the drawings.

Definitely targeting aging millennial/genx that want that high from the OG Magic days and have some disposable income.

1300-1400 Blitz rating for me,can’t get over the hump