• Replies 73 Comments
  • Views 1,492 Views

Matty

Bringing Sexy Back
Since
Jan 26, 2010
Score
Tokens
Post your TCG (MTG, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!) content here.

JL got into Pokemon TCG at school after kids kept giving him cards to get him started. I played a few games against him, fun stuff but a bit simplistic. That lead me to buying a whole bunch of dollar-store MTG packs, but after doing some research, it looks like building a playable deck of MTG is a lot more complicated than Pokemon. The dollar store packs had almost no lands and no legendary creatures, mostly common creatures and spells.

So what's the best way to build a deck for a noob? Should I get one of those Arena starter kits, buy single cards to complement my dollar store haul, or else?

I just read the link above and it looks like I might just need to buy land cards in bulk. That's mostly what I'm missing, I think?

Ah jeez :facepalm You give somebody poster of the month, and they think they can just post anything

• LOL
Reactions: IAG
*Poster of the Year

Don't hate the card playa, hate the card game

• LOL
Reactions: IAG
This'll have to do.

magic the gathering arena starter kit

i disagree - these are important things.

you did the right thing matty - then jl can build a deck from there

same with pokemon - start with the basic sets then go from there

this way you are not wasting money as his interest fades

MrX
Rogue, how do you block a whole thread so you never see it again?
I used to be like you. I made fun of Magic nerds back in high school.

Hopefully I don't end up like this.

magic the gathering rage

i disagree - these are important things.

you did the right thing matty - then jl can build a deck from there

same with pokemon - start with the basic sets then go from there

this way you are not wasting money as his interest fades
Cheers kato-san. JL and I just opened the kit, seems to be the perfect complement to the dollar store stuff. Tons of land cards. Yay!

JL has like 500 random Pokemon cards just off opening packs. The game is simple enough that we can build tons of decks off of his collection.

And on the bright side, I have 358 days to recover some of my GL posting reputation.

i like the book of boba fett on disney+ so far

I sold most of mine but my mom recently cleaned out the attic and delivered a boat load of cards that my cousins left in the house when their parents divorced and my aunt moved to the USVI. A bunch of Shivan Dragons, Sengir Vampires, Serrah Angels, will o' the wisp and shit in there.

But yeah. We used to tell the noobs to put 20 total land in the deck. A tight deck prob only needed 13 back in the day but if you're just starting you want to be flush with lands.

When I played it was all red, all blue, black and blue, white and green.

Just hop on reddit. I'm sure those people don't fuck around.

Call me when we're playing gamelive Dungeons and Dragons.

I sold most of mine but my mom recently cleaned out the attic and delivered a boat load of cards that my cousins left in the house when their parents divorced and my aunt moved to the USVI. A bunch of Shivan Dragons, Sengir Vampires, Serrah Angels, will o' the wisp and shit in there.

But yeah. We used to tell the noobs to put 20 total land in the deck. A tight deck prob only needed 13 back in the day but if you're just starting you want to be flush with lands.

When I played it was all red, all blue, black and blue, white and green.

Just hop on reddit. I'm sure those people don't fuck around.

Call me when we're playing gamelive Dungeons and Dragons.
Nice.

The two starter decks are red+blue and green+black. I'll try a couple games with JL this weekend. Still need to practice a bit on the online client to assimilate the basic rules.

It certainly beats Settlers of Catan. Fuck you MrX/Tron/McB/MrM 👍

• Cheers
Reactions: MrX