Big Nerds Club

• Start date
  • Replies 73 Comments
  • Views 1,504 Views
I only play blitz(a three minute timed game) I am wondering is there some kind of cheat code at Chess.com.I have lost lots of games where my opponent has like 10 seconds left and I have a minute but he keeps moving and the time seems to either run very slowly for them or stop.Happens often
Under settings, go to "Live Chess" and turn on "Enable Premoves"

This allows you to pre-move a piece on your opponents turn. So when it's your turn, your opponent has already locked in their next move, so it happens instantly with little or no time off the clock.

Useful in the endgame but also in standard play too. Like for example if you move a bishop out and it is protected by a pawn, you can pre-move that pawn to re-capture the protected bishop. If the opponent doesn't take, the pre-move is cancelled since it's an impossible move. But if they do, you insta-take back and waste zero time.

I used to play 3m all the time but started playing 1m a few months ago, pre-moving is essential there 😂

@tullamore i wouldn't recommend it from a pure return perspective. If you don't get enjoyment out of play it's got a decent chance of paying back zero.

@Vegas Dave the beta boosters are still in stock at Team Covenant, selling at MSRP. They're out of stock everywhere else but it's unclear if makers will reprint beta. If they reprint boosters prices will drop but it's a good sign that demand was strong. Most are hoping they have enough they held back to get through the first expansion (planned for this year) and then the print an unlimited set identical to beta but separate from a collectors perspective.

If you do get in and want to play I'm down to set up some games on tabletop simulator. If the player base doesn't grow its dead in the water.

IMG_5530.jpeg

Wasn't expecting any bonus at work but got a small one so I treated myself to one more box of Sorcery cards. I had opened two other boxes (they're $150/ea). My first pack and I pulled the most coveted rare (they call it unique) of the set as a foil. Worth a cool 1k.

Sell now or hold until it goes to 0 or 50,000?

HODL

Don't do like me with Bitcoin

I coulda been somebody, I coulda been a contender

Any nerdy fiction book recommendations ya'll have? Got the sudden urge to read a ton of books and then try writing one. Doesn't have to be nerdy, anything you like (just looking for fiction over non-fiction).

I would recommend books, but I’m certain that you don’t want THAT kind.

I was gonna say the same thing as Teela.

That said, you should read the classics. Dostoevsky gets my vote if you've never read him. Maybe start with The Gambler.

As a university prof would say, there are no new answers to be found in modern lit, everything was covered in the classics. :handshake:

I would recommend books, but I’m certain that you don’t want THAT kind.
I actually do! I really want to start writing fiction, but before I do I want to read a whole bunch of it in different genres. Romance and Romantasy are the hottest categories by far, no clue how I'll feel about them or if I can write them, but I want to read a few to see. So if you have favorites, please share!

As a university prof would say, there are no new answers to be found in modern lit, everything was covered in the classics. :handshake:
Count of Monte Cristo is still my all time favorite, though I only read the abridged version in school. Going to finally read the unabridged version for sure. Already have Pride and Prejudice and Moby Dick on the list. What are the must-reads among the classics in your opinion?

Oh man. As far as American lit goes, I'm a big fan of Jack Kerouac (I named my son after him, i.e. his actual birth name) but On the Road is not exactly an easy read. But yeah, that's one.

Faulkner's As I Lay Dying is amazingly dark. Quick intense read.

Dostoevsky's whole body of work is riveting. My favorite is The Idiot. Massive brick though.

For some lighter fantasy action, one of my all-time faves is The Talisman, a collab between Stephen King and Peter Straub. I think someone is working on a movie adaptation right now, I'm very much looking forward to that.

I have hundreds more in the tank. From 1996 to 2001 I did nothing but read classic lit and play my guitar.

Oh man. As far as American lit goes, I'm a big fan of Jack Kerouac (I named my son after him, i.e. his actual birth name) but On the Road is not exactly an easy read. But yeah, that's one.

Faulkner's As I Lay Dying is amazingly dark. Quick intense read.

Dostoevsky's whole body of work is riveting. My favorite is The Idiot. Massive brick though.

For some lighter fantasy action, one of my all-time faves is The Talisman, a collab between Stephen King and Peter Straub. I think someone is working on a movie adaptation right now, I'm very much looking forward to that.

I have hundreds more in the tank. From 1996 to 2001 I did nothing but read classic lit and play my guitar.
Thanks for these! As I Lay Dying sounds like a perfect change of pace to a lot of the other things on my list.

I plan to move on to denser books later, but right now I just want to absorb as many different genres/styles/authors as possible with shorter ones. Do you have other quick reads in the tank you'd recommend?

I actually do! I really want to start writing fiction, but before I do I want to read a whole bunch of it in different genres. Romance and Romantasy are the hottest categories by far, no clue how I'll feel about them or if I can write them, but I want to read a few to see. So if you have favorites, please share!
Some of the hottest romantsy type books are A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR) and Fourth Wing. I haven’t read Fourth Wing yet, but my friends told me that it’s better than ACOTAR.