Big Boys Club

• Start date
  • Replies 2,806 Comments
  • Views 91,540 Views
Oh yeah, look at that, I still have a wife.

20211029_200228.jpg

20211029_212150.jpg

First Intermediate class tonight at the track. Got my ass handed to me in a 15-lap "scratch race". (Not sure why it's called a "scratch" race - basically, it's a mass start and you get one "in" lap then you race for the predetermined # of laps and the first to cross the finish line wins. It's a regular fokkin race.)

I finished second to last in the slow group, but in my defense several members of the slow group didn't even take the start as they were too exhausted from the previous drills.I finished the whole thing without a problem, just not very quickly.

Also, we were warned during Beginner class that a lot of actual racers flock to Intermediate and Advanced classes because the velodrome is still not fully reopened and the more serious racers don't have enough dedicated track time.

Shit, one of the girls in my "slow" group revealed that she was training for national championships. She lapped me twice.

"Slow" at the track means 50km/h (just over 30mph).

:potato:

:clapper: that is kinda interesting stuff Matty. I didn't realize the track had such a sharp slope

It's 42 degrees in the corners (84% grade 😳). The first time you take a corner all the way up by the rail is quite intimidating, but there's really nothing to it. The banking is the same whether you're at the bottom or top of the track. Just don't stop pedaling. 🤝

Last edited:
Me: "I'm never gonna ride my brake-less fixie outside the velodrome, that's for dumb hipsters with a deathwish."

Also me:
20211101_104822.jpg

The main difference with riding a regular bike is that you need to scan farther ahead for potential hazards. It's fine. Going downhill is tricky - uphill is surprisingly not an issue despite the big gear, because the bike is so light and efficient.

20211101_134837.jpg
20211101_135456.jpg
20211101_135506.jpg
20211101_135526.jpg

Beginning and end of my fixie career

:lol:

Long story short, the rear cog unscrewed itself and the chain came off during a descent, so I had to crash on purpose before reaching a major artery at warp speed. I'm a tard. A few scrapes is all, and the bike is mostly fine.

Turns out only one side of my "flip flop hub" is meant to be used, the other side has no lockring to prevent the cog from unscrewing itself when you apply back pressure.

#themoreyouknow

🤦

Who would of thought you could get into a bike crash on a bike with no brakes?

Glad you are not seriously injured, Matty.

I would Zelle $50 to anyone who could obtain surveillance footage of Matty ditching his bike on purpose. T’would make for deluxe cinema

:yeahsure:

I did go over the handlebars earlier this summer, but that was at a very low speed.

This was more of a proper pucker moment, to put it mildly. I remember the pedals suddenly going loose and my brain going into hyper-drive. I had two choices - either keep rolling downhill around this blind corner that leads to a major street (Lakeshore Blvd) and hope my light is green or pick a spot and lay 'er down immediately. I ended up hugging a guardrail and then just throwing myself at it. I did a somersault and my helmet and right shoulder hit the pavement first.

One option I failed to consider was to unclip one foot and put it on my back tire to slow it down, but that wouldn't have stopped me before reaching Lakeshore, it happened on an 8-10% grade descent.

I think I reacted well, all things considered.

This is where I crashed: 11 Colborne Lodge Dr

I did go over the handlebars earlier this summer, but that was at a very low speed.

This was more of a proper pucker moment, to put it mildly. I remember the pedals suddenly going loose and my brain going into hyper-drive. I had two choices - either keep rolling downhill around this blind corner that leads to a major street (Lakeshore Blvd) and hope my light is green or pick a spot and lay 'er down immediately. I ended up hugging a guardrail and then just throwing myself at it. I did a somersault and my helmet and right shoulder hit the pavement first.

One option I failed to consider was to unclip one foot and put it on my back tire to slow it down, but that wouldn't have stopped me before reaching Lakeshore, it happened on an 8-10% grade descent.

I think I reacted well, all things considered.

This is where I crashed: 11 Colborne Lodge Dr
You’re really lucky you didn’t snap your clavicle.

You 100% did the right thing. What a moment that must have been as you intentionally slammed into the guardrail!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee