Ask Mudcat A Question

• Start date
  • Replies 364 Comments
  • Views 37,635 Views
I love vinegar on fries

but I feel like you only see that offered at like carnival, real fries, on the street kinda places.

chicken have balls :dunno: must be a delicacy

I recall the guy at the supermarket checkout seeing my box of chicken balls and saying, I didn't know chickens have balls. We chuckled together.

Most of the checkout workers are female so it was a uniquely male moment we had there.

I like to think we bonded a bit that day.

what was your all-time most heart breaking bad beat gambling loss?

Okay this is embarrassing but here goes.

A couple decades back when I had my first Bowmans phone account and I was just feeling my way along in the world of gambling and trying to develop angles, I fiddled with anti-middles. I didn't really know what I was doing but I thought I saw some promise there.

What I was focused on was MLB games, usually taking the home team -1.5 and the visiting team ML. I only played games with the highest totals (because they were the most likely not to be the dreaded 1 run home team victory) And I had set up parameters of how much of a straddle I needed to see.

I don't remember the exact numbers but I'd make something like 75 bucks on most games. But on those occasions where the home team won by exactly 1, I'd lose both bets which was something like -$450.

I was quite successful for awhile - until that fateful day. I had about 4 of these anti-middles and BOOM - I lost one - then another - then another. Couldn't believe it. Home teams winning by exactly 1 over and over. All the profit I had scratched and clawed together over a period of weeks - all my visions of this life I would be living on Easy Street because of my revolutionary anti-middles system - gone and then some in an hour.

There was one game left. It was in Colorado which had the wildest highest scoring games back then. It got to the bottom of the 9th and the visitors were leading 12-9. I was tracking this on TV because that's what you did back then. There was a channel that scrolled through the scores and you just had to keep checking it.

Furthermore, this was when I was with my ex and she didn't have any idea what was going on. I was keeping completely poker faced as these disastrous results rolled in one after another and I was dying inside.

The bottom of the 9th of my Colorado game seemed to last forever. I kept flipping over to the scores channel. Every time it was the same thing: 12-9 bottom 9th. Over and over. The ex was knitting away without a clue about my torment.

I remember the feeling like I had been hammered in the chest with a 2 by 4 when finally I saw it.

13 Final

There was no rally; no chance to mentally prepare myself. Grand slam - game over.

I have had much bigger dollar losses since then - and very impossibly stupid plays happen in games I was watching that cost me the cash - but I remember that so clearly.

Awesome bad beat story Muddy. I love bad beat stories. Not because they are fun but because we all have them and can relate to the absurdity of it all.

Absurd is definitely the word for it. The idiocy of the actual bets combined with this stupid secret life I was living.

Absurd.

do you remember going to see the orgininal star wars in the theatre?

No I don't remember that. I remember the buzz about it and I was very interested. I was still too young and undamaged to be the toxic movie snob I am today, (who hasn't even bothered seeing the most recent 3 installments.)

I could guess where I saw it but I don't remember for a fact.

Here's what I do remember: the first acid I ever did was soon after that and was called The Force - an obvious reference to the movie. It had little lightning bolts on blotter paper. Man did I love that stuff.

do you remember going to see the orgininal star wars in the theatre?

I do, I remember being very excited to go see it as I had viewed the trailers on tv before the official release.

I also remember lining up for a couple of hours to see "The Empire Strikes Back" at the Bay theatre in Toronto with some highschool buddies.

This is was a good page of this thread

page 15 rocks

Muddy's bad beat story, is one of the best all-time bad beat reads

How does one go about choosing a bicycle helmet?

What are the most important characteristics in a helmet?

I don't know how one goes about choosing a bicycle helmet. I had mine given to me by a friend who works for a company that distributes them.

It gathered dust in a corner for a number of years. Then last summer I had an incident that made me decide to put it on. I wore it for maybe a few months but then the straps went all FUBAR and I kept procrastinating on doing anything about it - and now I am back in the habit of just riding without it.

So I guess the most important characteristic is straps that don't go FUBAR

Muddy have you sampled any new chips lately? Anything you can recommend?

I won't wear a helmet.... they can't make me.... I do the bixi?? every day from Union to bay and college. Bike riding is awesome, and it's a 10 minute TTC ride a 14 minute bike ride and a 25 minute walk.... what am I gonna chose.

Boys we need to get a video of Acid Joe on a bixi

We will cross post on reddit and youtube. Shit will go viral

How does one go about choosing a bicycle helmet?

What are the most important characteristics in a helmet?

First and foremost characteristic in a helmet is (shocker), will this helmet hold up if my head gets slammed into the pavement? Secondary would be how light weight is the helmet. Third would be how well does it breathe and what does it look like.

Go to a bike shop (not a Wal Mart or Target) to purchase a helmet. Ask them to fit you for a helmet. Make it clear to them that you don't know how to fit yourself for a helmet. The biggest errors I see with helmets is people tilt it back and it doesn't cover your forehead. A helmet that is loose AND tilted back will not do shit for you when grandpa doesn't see you and he runs you off the road into the guard rail.

Boys we need to get a video of Acid Joe on a bixi

We will cross post on reddit and youtube. Shit will go viral

It won't teamer... No one cares.....

I do it every day from union to work and back....

Nothing to see here.

Just saying.

A helmet that is loose AND tilted back will not do shit for you when grandpa doesn't see you and he runs you off the road into the guard rail.

The guardrail should soften the blow sufficiently enough to allow for an open casket viewing of the cyclist that wore the properly fitted helmet.

AMIRITE?