• Replies 17 Comments
  • Views 1,300 Views

Oksana

zig a zig ah
Since
Jun 16, 2010
Score
Tokens
They're at the MGM in Vegas but I think they must be older ones as this doesn't seem like something they'd keep current with here.

So far I've seen:

A match between Frank Mir and a mentally-challenged looking guy. Maybe he was Hispanic? In the preview, they had to subtitle everything he said although he was speaking English and I didn't really find it difficult to understand him. Frank Mir won. I don't think I like him. Too smiley when he's fighting.

A match between Forrest Griffin and a guy who I think was named Rashad. It was a title match and Forrest lost when he was pummeled in the head repeatedly by Rashad's left hand while laying on the mat. I was sad. But Forrest seemed cool with his loss when he finally came to and even gave Rashad a hug. Rashad's keeper kept trying to get him to hold up a bottle of Maximum Overload?? during his post-match interview. That didn't work quite well. Rashad kind of looks like Cuba Gooding Jr to me but sounds like Mike Tyson.

My analysis so far:

There is quite a lot of blood involved in this sport. And it seems they don't wipe down the mat between fights. Not sure how hygienic that is.

Quite a few fighters seem to have cauliflower ears. Not very attractive.

A lot of neon involved in this production.

FullTilt seems to be a major sponsor.

I wish they didn't hit in the face so much. Maybe just once or twice but then they should be forced to stop. Forrest took too many punches when he was on the ground.

Shari, is there at least a small section that is maybe just a little bit turned on by the sheer brutality of it all?

Shari, the UFC is actually the best when it comes to protecting it's fighters IMO. As long as the fighter is intelligently defending himself the fight will continue. If the fighter goes limp or stops defending himself the ref steps in. The forrest/evans fight looked worse than it was. As you see more fights it will seem less and less brutal and more technical. Keep with it.

Shari, is there at least a small section that is maybe just a little bit turned on by the sheer brutality of it all?

Not in the least. Although I must be developing a stronger stomach because I remember someone trying to make me watch one of these shows last year and I lasted all of 30 seconds.

Just finished watching another one. A fight between a green-eyed guy whose last name starts with M - Mennonier? Messonier? - and some punk. The punk was saying before the fight that he was going to destroy M again and send him into a depression. Sadly he won.

Rashad does look like CGJ, I've always thought that, too.

As for the Rashad/Forrest fight...is that the one where he went sprinting through the crowd because he was humiliated by his loss?

I don't like the guys that connect with their opponent while standing up and knock him out and then rush in to deliver a couple extra blows. I saw a guy the other night in a highlight that realized his opponent was out and defenseless and refrained from the extra blows. I had much admiration for that fighter. He proved that even in the most animalistic of contest sportsmanship can still exist.

Shari, the UFC is actually the best when it comes to protecting it's fighters IMO. As long as the fighter is intelligently defending himself the fight will continue. If the fighter goes limp or stops defending himself the ref steps in. The forrest/evans fight looked worse than it was. As you see more fights it will seem less and less brutal and more technical. Keep with it.

Ok, I'll take your word for it. To me it seemed like Forrest was trying to call it quits when he was slapping his hand on the mat and I couldn't figure out why the ref didn't just stop the fight. It did look quite brutal though when Rashad just kept wailing on his head with that left punch of his.

Rashad does look like CGJ, I've always thought that, too.

As for the Rashad/Forrest fight...is that the one where he went sprinting through the crowd because he was humiliated by his loss?

If he did, they didn't show it here. They went to commercial after Forrest hugged Rashad again after his interview.

Wally, they have to keep going until the referee calls the fight. If the dominant fighter withheld on his own (without referee stoppage) and the other guy got up, that might very well be the end of the dominant fighter's MMA career. Wally, MMA is not for the faint of heart. It is not up to the fighter to determine whether or not someone is unconscious and defenseless. It is up to the referee. If the referee allows an unwarranted beat-down to occur on a defenseless fighter, that is on them, not the guy who won.

I remember the first UFC fights back when I was probally 12 or 13.
they were brutal, I loved it
there also wasnt a weight class then was there?

didnt the orginal Gracie fight guys 2 and 3 times his size?

In the last few PPV fights I watched most of the good fights are with the smaller no name fighters. These were good to watch. The last fight I watched with Anderson Silva first and Brock Lesnar later as well as some others with BJ Penn and a few others were very disappointing. It looks like UFC is trying hard to become the new WWE.

I remember the first UFC fights back when I was probally 12 or 13.
they were brutal, I loved it
there also wasnt a weight class then was there?

didnt the orginal Gracie fight guys 2 and 3 times his size?

Correct. The lack of weight classes made for interesting fights....but it was really no better than watching a bar fight. I like seeing more technical fighters going at it. This is why Chuck Liddell is done.

Awesome write-up and observations. Loved it.

Correct. The lack of weight classes made for interesting fights....but it was really no better than watching a bar fight. I like seeing more technical fighters going at it. This is why Chuck Liddell is done.

and they had to fight through a bracket to win, meaning fighting multiple times a night but...

yea, your right, just went back and watched some fights from UFC 1 on youtube...
not a great as I remembered it.

todays fights are much better

That was definitely not one of Griffin's proudest moments. Silva is one of the best (pound for pound) in the business but he has been acting like a complete clown in his fights lately. It's almost as if he is bored when fighting. The fight between he and Sonnen will be quite interesting this weekend. Sonnen has been running his mouth every opportunity he gets.

aussie books take in ufc but not much of the other mma.

I love that Forrest Griffin kid.

Griffin/Bonner 1 is still my all time favorite fight to watch.