The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,812 Comments
  • Views 218,193 Views
FrFC83C.gif

I feel like the A's could have called for a review and it should have been an out. You can't touch a ball in play - which it was after the first touch. It's like running into a bunted ball or something.

I could be wrong about that but anyway, it was actually damn important to the outcome of the game. It allowed an inning to continue and MVP Donaldson to drive in the winning runs with 2 outs.

Never seen that before that didn't involve a backswing. As Muddy posted, the batter should have been out and runners go back to their base.

fuckin hell :surrender:

[WEBM]https://cdn2.streamable.com/video/mp4/4dky.mp4[/WEBM]

If that's hell then this is heaven! :angel:

Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza are the two Hall of Fame inductees this year. Griffey is the first #1 overall draft pick to be inducted. And Piazza - who was drafted 1390th in his draft year - is the lowest drafted player to make the HOF.

Highest and lowest ever in the same year. Isn't that a fine how-do-you-do?

Looks like The Freak is truly done. What an unusual career.

There is something weird about the Astros home ballpark. I have never seen so many batters taking horrible swing-and-misses.

The Blue Jays former record for strikeouts in a 4 game series was 50. They tied that after the first 3 games of this series - and have broken it this evening, the only question being, by how much will it be?

Not just the Blue Jays though. I believe they said the Orioles earlier this season broke the all-time record for strikeouts in a 3 game series - in Houston - and that surpassed the previous record - which was also in Houston - by someone else this year or last.

The fuck is with the sightlines and/or hitters' background and/or whatever-the-fuck?

also maybe the AL SO leading houston pitching staff has something to do with it too

Sortable Pitching
RK TEAM GP W L ERA SV CG SHO IP QS ER R BB SO BAA
1 Houston 108 56 52 3.81 28 1 4 986.0 57 417 440 295 942 .255
2 NY Yankees 108 54 54 4.23 32 0 5 950.1 47 447 473 276 939 .248
3 Cleveland 106 61 45 3.79 21 5 8 961.0 59 405 445 314 898 .242
4 Seattle 107 54 53 4.02 30 1 6 960.2 51 429 465 309 898 .252
5 Tampa Bay 107 44 63 4.18 28 1 6 944.2 50 439 467 308 893 .256

Yeah well chicken/egg.

I feel like this version of the Jays is striking out a lot more than last season too - everywhere - but all I'm saying is there were a lot of freakishly, conspicuously, unnaturally bad swing-n-misses like I don't usually see.

The Jays/Astros actually topped the all-time record for combined strikeouts in a 4 game series. I don't know the exact number off the top of my head; I think they set it when they hit a hundred and there were definitely more K's after that.

Meanwhile the Jays head off to Kansas City where the defending WS champs are 6 games below .500.

A repeat ----> unlikely.

To me, a "base hit" in baseball is a single.

Our regular radio guy uses it to describe all hits. I guess not home runs much but doubles and triples are very often described as base hits. He's almost aggressive in how often he uses the term for extra base hits.

Seems wrong to me.

He's a decent guy too. Jerry Howarth. Cheerful, professional, some humility. Seems like he could be a buddy in real life. He's not like our douchy TV guys.

But he does that.

To me, a "base hit" in baseball is a single.

100% correct Muddy! Looking up Jerry ..... was an American who became a Canadian citizen later in life! Sounds like he should have been a hockey announcer cause using that phrase as you stated ain't right!

As if I didn't feel bad enough that the Blue Jays gave up Noah Syndergaard in obtaining R.A. Dickey, now he makes this tweet.

Very happy we won....but I want the name and address of the person who started the "Wave" tonight. #banthewave #resisttheurge

I like the cut of that young man's jib.

Guess who just made the wave super popular in opposing cities when Young Thor is on the mound

If he pitched in a wild card game it would most likely be in San Fran with 200 consecutive wave revolutions

Speaking of baseball announcers who aren't douchy at all, Pat Tabler of the Jays' telecasts made this legendary comment last night. I forget who it was about but he said, "Such-and-such is a really good infielder; he was just making too many errors."

:facepalm: