The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,815 Comments
  • Views 218,466 Views
It's true though. Delino Deshields really does look like Delino Deshields.

It's true though. Delino Deshields really does look like Delino Deshields.

google image searched him

6e90f7387e712b6d1aad930f05922edb_crop_exact.png

The Cubs are ridiculous this year. 25-6. But ridiculous as that is, I remember the year the Tigers started 35-5.

How nuts was that?

What kind of a name is Hunter Pence anyhow?

Jackie Bradley jr is turning into an all star.

So is this a baseball-wide fad for announcers, or just the local tools?

Approach. They love to babble ad nauseum about a batter having a good approach.

It means he goes to opposite field. Pull a ball, no sign of it being a good approach - opposite field: he's got a good approach.

:dunno:

Kinda reminds me of hockey a couple years back when suddenly everyone was babbling about levels of compete.

Compete levels. :facepalm:

Dipshit sports announcers wanting to reinvent the wheel. :facepalm:

Cleveland Indians have 4 triples so far in tonight's game.

4 triples WTF?

Gotta say though, if you actually start studying MLB records regarding triples ---> lost art. Big time. No matter how you want to parse it, you end up with a listing of old time greats with no one current.

Wiki has a list of players with 175+ career triples ---> it's 20 guise and only one played more recently than 1945, that being Stan Musial who retired in '63.

Active leader is Carl Crawford with 123. He's 94th on the list.

I was getting hot and bothered about Cleveland having 4 triples last night. The MLB record for triples in a game by one team? ---> 9.

In summary let me just say: triples. Yap.

Edinson Vlquez: Kansas City Royals Pitcher Records Worst MLB Start in More Than a Century

Vlquez became the first starting pitcher in more than 103 seasons to allow 12 runs in just one inning of work, according to baseball-reference.com. The Houston Astros won the game, 13-4.

I guess either their bullpen was hellishly overworked or his manager just doesn't like him.

Madison Bumgarner: San Francisco Giants Let Pitcher Bat Instead of Using Designated Hitter Against Athletics

It was the first time in 40 years an MLB team opted to use the starting pitcher in the lineup instead of a DH. He hit a double and pitched six innings in the 12-6 victory over the Oakland Athletics.

Respect. :handshake:

After reading some comments, the Madison Bumgarner situation should clearly teach some lefty, tree-hugging, mom-pants-wearing, sodomizing liberal elitists a lesson.

:handshake:

It must be hard to be a baseball announcer. Some of the idiotic shit they talk about with a straight face is mind-blowing.

In tonight's game I heard reference to a - wait for it - 4 game hit streak.

Someone has a 4 game hit streak.

Someone else has hit safely in 6 of their last 9 games. The announcer said that out loud.

I'm being nice. I could just say that announcer is a fucking idiot. But no, I'll just say it must be hard to be a baseball announcer.

Also, talking about players setting records "before the all-star break" ---> pretty ghey.

Like the Jays idiots have been tracking one for the last couple weeks as Josh Donaldson approached then set a franchise record for runs scored before the all-star break. Like it's not just something someone trotted out once. They have been seriously tracking that shit game-by-game for weeks.

Given that the all star game comes at no specific time and it means different number of games from year to year ---> super ghey really.

I know the all-star game was last night. I have an instinct to check the score - because that is so much part of my Blue Jays fandom - I check the score.

But then I thought, what score could possibly be interesting in any way? I don't care. But then I remembered, the winning league gets home field advantage in the World Series. I clearly want the AL. The ramifications are very distant and theoretical, but still. I have a reason to check the score.

So I checked the score.

And it was good.

Junior Lake of the Blue Jays takes a swing at a pitch - he gets jammed and kinda chips the ball - and then hits the ball a second time on the same swing - with the barrel of the bat this time ---> up the middle for a single.

Never seen that before.