The Astronomy Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 242 Comments
  • Views 17,485 Views
I'll settle for insect-sized. Anything smaller would still be cool but not quite as exciting.

These days, when I barbecue, Orion is right in front of me. Every time I go out there, there he is, framed in the sky over the Q.

Orion is very cool. I feel like I'm getting away with something just casually gandering all I want. Orion seems like something you should have to pay to see.

It's like I'm stealing cable or something.

Agreed. Orion is as good as it gets in a constellation.

Pretty resilient, too. Look how stupid the Big Dipper will look in 100,000 years. Cassiopeia and the Southern Cross will be useless, but Orion is hanging in there.

Constellations+throughout+the+ages.jpg

As legend has it, Orion was killed by Scorpius. That's why those two constellations are so far apart. So they won't go at it.

I'll think about it.

Not a tale but Venus is very bright in the morning sky these days. Some people say that when it's this bright, it can be seen all through the day.

I have never seen it after sunrise - but I have never tried very hard - but it seems plausible. It stays visible when dawn is breaking, long after all the stars have disappeared. It is the third brightest celestial object after the sun and moon so why not?

Someday, as god is my witness, I will see Venus in the sky in the middle of the day.

iu

It has to do with where you're viewing it from. Doubt its viewable from Toronto or surrounding area. Climb a smog free 15k mountain on a clear day.

It's a li'l chilly for eclipse viewing in these parts but I'll be there in spirit.

It's fucking deadly outside. Quite possibly the coldest weather I've ever experienced.

I watched the movie Apollo 11 (2019) which is a documentary about that epic historic event which is approaching its 50th anniversary.

I guess the first thing that has to be said is: it looks amazing. Footage restoration techniques have clearly advanced to incredible levels. You get used to stuff from that era looking a certain way ---> this doesn't look like that.

And of course what happened was pretty mind-blowing so I thought it was a real nice watch.

8 out of 10

iu

Michael Collins, the astronaut who took this photo, is the only human, alive or dead that isn't in the frame.

Though im sure that's debatable, I'm watching an interview with this guy now, he's a complete badass.

Happy Apollo 50 gents.

Attachments

• Michael Collins, the astronaut who took this photo, is the only human, alive or dead that isn'...jpg
    Michael Collins, the astronaut who took this photo, is the only human, alive or dead that isn'...jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 173
What's debatable, the idea that he's a badass or the fact that he's the only person not in the frame?

BTW, moon-landing skeptics should be fined by their local police.

Skepticism itself isn't bad, but lazy, uneducated, hunch-based skepticism is so irritating, it might as well be made illegal. Do it for Buzz.