Teaching

• Start date
  • Replies 176 Comments
  • Views 14,979 Views
Who needs teachers...

All one needs is access to google and an old drunk guy...

Is there any hope you have for some of these kids Tomato, what would propose to change this mess, school uniforms, armed teachers, corporal punishment, more discipline ? An asian revolution in our schools? I like Asian schools, discipline.

Asian schools/Korea/Japan

Students arrive at school in identical uniforms. Skirts must be below the knee but no longer than skimming the floor when kneeling. Girls' hair must be cut between the ears and shoulders, no perms, curls, or colored hair.

Boys' hair must also be natural and cut above the ears. Girls may not wear jewelry or make-up. The reason for all these rules: "We want the students to be focused on school, not their looks."

Upon arriving at school, students remove their shoes and don identical slide-on slippers. Passing through the hallway is done quietly, expediently and in an orderly manner. When students pass a teacher or administrator they bow in respect to the person's authority. Sometimes, one may have to step around students who are kneeling in the hall facing the wall. This is one of the main means of punishment. "Interventions," "consequences" and "classroom management" are not part of the Korean school terminology. These schools are run with discipline. Students who do not behave are punished.

Teachers are highly respected members of society who are paid handsomely. They are given ample time during the day for class preparation, grading papers and individual meetings with students. Teachers discuss school infractions privately with a student so that the student will not lose face.

- In Japanese public schools, elementary school kids wear street clothes to school (like in American schools), but starting in junior high, they must wear a school uniform.

- In Japanese schools, everyone must remove their shoes at the entrance and change into 上履き (indoor shoes).

- In Japanese elementary and junior high schools students and teachers all eat the same school lunch. There are no choices.
In most high schools, students and teachers are required to bring a 弁当 (packed lunch) from home.

And very few Japanese schools have a cafeteria. Students eat lunch in their classroom at their desk.

In American schools, there are “lunch ladies” who prepare the school lunches and then serve the students, but in Japan, the “lunch ladies” cook the lunch but students take turns serving lunch to their classmates.

"The pressures and workloads that the students and the teachers in the U.S. are facing nowadays are, perhaps, greater than they were a decade ago," Korsunsky said in a recent paper. "But still, compared to a typical Chinese or Korean school, a high-pressure U.S. school is a summer camp."

Let's start with discipline. Korsunsky's student sources are not describing a Chinese version of a blackboard jungle with metal detectors at the main entrance. These are some of the best and most selective schools in Asia. Being "tardy usually results in physical punishment, such as running in the gym a few times or doing jumping jacks. Forgetting to do homework and talking during class will often result in hitting with ruler or some sort," one student said.

U.S. students and parents frightened by the SAT should recognize it is a paper tiger to students who grew up in Asian nations where the national college-entrance tests are much more important. Selective universities in China and Korea are not so impressed if you set the school shot-put record or volunteered weekly at a hospital. Asian schools spend little time on art, sports or extracurricular activities. The test is everything. Teachers don't let you forget it.

Instruction is by lecture — and more lecture. Students are usually sitting the whole day, which can run eight hours or more, scribbling notes. One student wrote that weaker students never ask questions in class because the teachers "would be mad at you if you ask what they consider stupid questions."

"In China, teachers stay at the board instructing after the bell and students do not leave unless told to do so," another student said.

How did the students react to U.S. education when they moved here?

"The biggest difference is that teachers in the U.S. spend much more time talking with their students about topics not related to the class," one survey participant said. They described U.S. teachers as "friendly," "flexible," "humorous," "lively" and "like friends." The joking with teachers between classes shocked them.

"In China," one student said, "we don't really see our teachers outside of class. If we do, that usually means we're in trouble."

America. Blackboard jungle. Juvenile delinquents

Last edited:
Picture+1.png

Luv this my friend!!!!!! I guess teachers should get paid big time considering the bullshit they have to deal with!

Luv this my friend!!!!!! I guess teachers should get paid big time considering the bullshit they have to deal with!
Teachers get paid based on their value in society. Public K-12 education is not valued in society, and teacher salaries reflect this.

It's not a coincidence that Oakland pays their teachers 20k less per year than Pleasanton.

Pleasanton is a nice city. You teach in the Bay Area Tomato?

Today's moron:

"Scientific Notation is a way which you write numbers that are either really big, or really small. When Tomato thinks of a very large number, Tomato thinks of the population of the United States. Any guesses on how many people live in the United States?"

"12 thousand!"

:facepalm:

When asked how many people were in the entire world, a student said "13 million" when the population of the United States (311 million) was already written on the board.

Methinks that a couple brats are trying to piss Tomato off.

I refuse to believe that an 8-grader would sincerely answer that.

Maybe they are just clueless to some things but actually brilliant.

Like in 8th grade my brother would have responded about the same to the population question (maybe not the one with the usa already on the board). but he could also do calculus.

Yeah the kids are busting Tomato's chops because he asks stupid questions.

Tomato they are trolling you maybe out of boredum?

No, the class corrected the student who said "13 million" and the next 3 USA population guesses were also low. They sincerely did not know.

On the other hand, 85% of them understand scientific notation now, and that's good enough for the state.

LOL serena

Tomato goes to 7-11 to get coffee and donuts.

As he is in line, his 8th grade student walks in. The student grabs a box of Trojan XL condoms.

Student doesn't pay for them and walks out.

Not a fan of Trojan XL condoms then, Tomato?

Student is off campus today with what looks like a pen in his mouth.

"This ain't no pen Mr. Tomato"

Student shows Tomato a long joint on the sidewalk outside of school.

Tomato, I commend you my friend, there is no way in hell I could deal all those kids and their parents too. Just no. Respect.