Steve K New poker thread

• Start date
  • Replies 267 Comments
  • Views 6,624 Views
Right, right.

Dave first off you really know your stuff and I really appreciate your insight! I couldn't agree more.

My thinking was that since all the 2/5 guys have me labeled as a nit that I have fold equity to exploit. In very obvious spots that is true, i.e. when everyone checks on a dry board, etc....but it is ONLY TRUE against the guys who have me labeled as a nit, not the fish/calling stations - for them, like you said, it's the exact opposite. And you're right, exploitive poker (had to google that because I hadn't heard of the term) is absolutely what I'm all about. I'm never going to be good enough to beat the online regs and I know that. Thought I was at first and I was WAY off on that.

Chasing the fish and looking like one myself has been exactly what's happening.

I will literally be keeping that post open when I play and using it as a mini guide, lol. You da man.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Will be in Vegas Nov 25-29. Lets hit a cash game at the Aria.

Up $112 on 2/5 right now, to the left of a labeled fish. Tough table.

Let's see what we can do here.

#expoitive

Up $277.56 in a short session 6 handed with a fish to my right.

Let's not get full of ourselves because we did get lucky with kk over qq.

Good rush for such a short sesh.

I played well in all facets and made bank. That works for me.

Dave I'm very glad you brought up exploitive poker, what it is....etc.

The fish in this case sat right out after a bit. Maybe just coincidence, but maybe he has me labeled as a guy who exploits people like him, and he's right if so.

Won $129 more with KK. Played well and got a little lucky.

And that's alright.

One shark sarcastically asked me "are you the real Neagranu?"

Funny shit.

Right, right.

Dave first off you really know your stuff and I really appreciate your insight! I couldn't agree more.

My thinking was that since all the 2/5 guys have me labeled as a nit that I have fold equity to exploit. In very obvious spots that is true, i.e. when everyone checks on a dry board, etc....but it is ONLY TRUE against the guys who have me labeled as a nit, not the fish/calling stations - for them, like you said, it's the exact opposite. And you're right, exploitive poker (had to google that because I hadn't heard of the term) is absolutely what I'm all about. I'm never going to be good enough to beat the online regs and I know that. Thought I was at first and I was WAY off on that.

Chasing the fish and looking like one myself has been exactly what's happening.

I will literally be keeping that post open when I play and using it as a mini guide, lol. You da man.

Glad to help!

It's funny, just had to talk to a buddy about a bad play he made. He had aces pre, flopped top set on a two club board (had ace of clubs in his hand). Got check called on flop. Check called on turn. Then on river club guy bombed out big. My buddy decides to turn top set into a bluff since he has the A-club and can rep the nut flush, figuring he'd fold out worse flushes. This guy calls........ and doesn't have the flush so loses anyway lmao.

But it's a great reminder that at low stakes people are NOT playing smart poker. They fall in love with their hands. They get bored. The concepts that you are talking about are sharp and you are obviously picking things up from your studies... but again, low stakes poker isn't the place to go nuts, even against the regs. You may think that you can "use your image to your advantage" against the strong players, but they are either 1. Playing game theory optimal (playing every hand optimally regardless of your stats) OR 2. Looking to exploit your nittyness by getting out of the way early or bullying you late.

You may or may not get good enough to beat regs. But even IF you do get to their level, ya'll will still just be breaking even against each other. The money for all of you is in the fish. And the fish love to pay shit off.

When you are in a hand against a reg, just play super solid and try to keep the pot small (unless you are building it up for value). Why run a huge bluff on a thinking player who is good enough to sniff it out? This isn't to say you can NEVER take a stab or NEVER call light, but generally speaking lean towards more conservative play against the good players. Use those hands to work on your fundamentals, ie considering what range of hands they might have, what range they could put you on, etc. Keeping pots small (helps to be in position!) against the regs while building huge pots against the fish is definitely +EV!

Right on man.

That's definitely a funny story on hand, lmao.

Oh man, got drunk last night, sat pursuing a fish, and got schooled by a reg. He raised preflop, I called with 7s ,missed, no Ace on board so my stupid, drunk ass shoves $400 on him. This was in response to his baby raise which is standard issue among sharks, obviously wanting me to shove on him. He flopped q10 two pair (he raised with that q10 off suit and I lost an $850 pot there (soooo stupid. Alcohol and life tilt clearly to blame there, along with playing a game I shouldn't be playing).

I'm at least taking a break from online poker and maybe done with it altogether. When proven winners like Tron, Matty and Bone are busting your balls for doing something you should probably change it up. But I'm very stubborn, so yeah I had to lose more before that hit home. To be honest as well I've fallen into degenerate mode with it as well. Keep playing even though you keep losing ? Wtf is that? Why not head back to Wow Market and 2 machine losing gambling video games like the degens out there do, if that's gonna be the case. Who's up for $500 buy in slots? Woohoo! FAIL.

With poker I am pretty good at one thing (not great by any means) - playing tight/exploitive live - and that is it.

Deleting the software from all devices now and getting way from that SHIT. Is my life a little annoying now? Have I been trying to use online poker as a distraction from it? Yep. Sure, that's ok IF YOU CAN WIN. If you can't, it's stupid, degenerate shit. Totally got hooked on the action. I'll still be banging around with little games with buddies and that is it.

Very upset with myself for being so stupid and losing a shitload of money pursuing something unrealistic, but shit happens. Just glad I didn't flush it all down the toilet and appreciate the encouragement from winners here to get away from it. If anything you should've been meaner about it, lol.

Definitely appreciate your insights man and will still be chiming in with poker thoughts, you're clearly much further along in the game then I am and it's always good to learn.

Last edited:
Will be pursuing work from home positions (NOT straight commish like the recruiter thing was) so I can prove income/get a cheaper place, then if I want to play poker stakes I can afford long term - sure that's ok.

Sorry to hear about the blast off and life tilt. Hope things turn around for the better on and off the felt my friend!

Will be pursuing work from home positions (NOT straight commish like the recruiter thing was) so I can prove income/get a cheaper place, then if I want to play poker stakes I can afford long term - sure that's ok.
Remote.co is a solid place to job search, Ive grabbed a few gigs off of there

Remote.co is a solid place to job search, Ive grabbed a few gigs off of there

Really appreciate that man. I was actually scammed by one place where I did all this real estate work for them then come payday they completely disappeared. So fucked up. Standard issue Craigslist shit.

Avoiding that happening again is helpful.

You really have to research these places. Glassdoor.com is a good place for that.

I had another one that hired me to sell digital devices remotely. They have me buy all this shit to work for them. Ok, worthwhile investment for not good money but enough to survive.

So I look at their Glassdoor and guess what they like to do? Pay you a small portion of what you were supposed to have made and string you along with excuses and why you'll get the money (so keep working), etc.

Really classy stuff.