• Views 7,197 Views

Blitty

guitartown
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
In Nashville right now.

I was at the scene of protest. Pre-Riot.

D50297A4-82A4-490B-9DBF-075A7E2F2DCF.jpeg

I don't know if there's a good way out of this. The whole police / incarceration /legal system is soo bad. The people are instinctively rebelling against it. But I'm not seeing any focused voice or demands or ideas. It's a shame, because there seems to be an opportunity. Instead, protests might lead to more repression and incarceration, if not chaos.

a good way out of this is that people will forget in 5 minutes

I dunno about this one. Footage of the murder is pretty clear, and revolting. This is going to stick for a while IMO.

For Eric Garner we had about 2 weeks of protest (and a third of dwindling protests) after the event. Then another 3 weeks of protests after the failed indictment.

Assuming a returned indictment reduces the second wave of protests id say we're at minute 2 (of 5).

I don't know if there's a good way out of this. The whole police / incarceration /legal system is soo bad. The people are instinctively rebelling against it. But I'm not seeing any focused voice or demands or ideas. It's a shame, because there seems to be an opportunity. Instead, protests might lead to more repression and incarceration, if not chaos.

I think these stressful days will really stick with the current top police brass, mayors and governors for awhile. I hope is that the fear of this happening again, more, and even worse will be the spark to real systemic change and rooting out of bad cops by the good cops. I think good cops will start to realize the potential for a few dirty shitty over aggro racists in their force have the potential to cause severe consequences and risky shifts in their future. Politicians should be very motivated to pressure their top cops to create more training and consistent policies to keep people safe.

unfortunately its not an easy cause and effect like that. Its much much more complex, emotional, and tinged with anger and prejudices on all sides.

all bets are off on how this goes down in the coming days, weeks, and for out near term future.

feels a little weird to be going through the covid and riot crisis in an area affected heavily by both

with a first time ever rookie politican as my Mayor, Gov and Potus

For Eric Garner we had about 2 weeks of protest (and a third of dwindling protests) after the event. Then another 3 weeks of protests after the failed indictment.

Assuming a returned indictment reduces the second wave of protests id say we're at minute 2 (of 5).

I don't even recall. but did Garner have violence and looting in this many other cities? this big? I can't even remember ferguson aftermath, either really.

I think we had protests here for that. but not burning police cars or shootings in the affluent downtown areas here.

even when we had the Chicago kid shot 16 times Laquan Mcdonald that was covered up for a year. we didn't approach anything this bad.

I don't really remember either. But maybe that proves the point?

Roughly 800,000 cops in the United States.

Anyone have any ideas on what changes to make to ensure that zero of them are dirty racists with no integrity?

I think you can be a high-functioning dirty racist cop with no integrity. If you can control your racist biases just enough that you don't murder people, you're cool with me. 🤷‍♂️

But yes, ideally, there would be zero murderous cops out there.

I don't feel it's just about the cops. Sure, there's the issue of cops developing a sense of immunity and a disrespect for the degregated public. But there's a general injustice of the incarceration and the throwing of people into the system. The poverty and disregard for human rights on one hand, the teaching and preaching of civility on the other. The contradiction cannot stand

We rode bikes near downtown today. People of all types were out and about.

Its already been forgotten.