Something that is deeply troubling to me - American late 20 somethings and gambling

• Start date
  • Replies 76 Comments
  • Views 6,192 Views
any pirate site is showing races online? tvg wants a ss# to sign up

Thanks Blittay. Trying to get a horse that'll race out on the left coast or otherwise head out there for some Santa Anita action...

RJ, I think you can get them on nyra.com (with a free account - not a nyrabets account).

ES entered in the 250k Empire Distaff on Sat. 10/20. First time she's facing older fillies and mares. Lesdoit.

race 9 4:48pm :dance:

how does that work when she gets pick for a race? is that something you know far ahead of time or a few days before?

I think the trainer/owner decides where to enter em :dunno:

Reno's right, the trainer and owner decide where to enter.

Every 2-4 weeks depending on the track theres something called a condition book that is published. It's like a menu for the next 2-4 weeks for race conditions (age, sex, number of wins, distance, surface). There are like 13 races listed for each day. The book is written by track management in an effort to write races that will attract a full card for the local horse population (a lot of turf horses stabled here - lots of turf races).

For a stakes race there's nomination about 3 weeks prior (costs $), then you enter again about 5-6 days out (more $). If theres more entries than the track can handle (12-20 depending on the track) the conditions of the stakes or the track management decide who doesn't go (rarely happens)

For a regular non stakes race the process is the same without the nomination part (and sometimes entry is free). More often than not races are cut because there are not enough entrants (that's why they offer 13 and only run 8).

YEah I thought she looked down in the paddock. I also don't think 8.5f is her distance, think shes a 7f filly. C'est la vie, can't win them all. She'll get back to it at a slightly lower class or a better distance.

Horse is now very ill... theres a respiratory bug going around at belmont but in addition she got some serious diarrhea - can be very dangerous for these animals. Shes probably gonna ship to a medical facility and go into isolation (for her own and others safety)... sounds expensive... uyuyuy

sounds like stuff you hear all the time. Strange how it works. Boner, did you ever give an opinion on why they ran that horse in the Belmont after he broke out the gate few years back? I wanna say Barbaro was his name, probably best potential horse I saw since Cigar. It always seemed odd to me that they would allow that. Not only because I figure the bettors get screwed, but also it appears to be risking the health of such a valuable commodity.

Thanks for asking Rougey. Shes cleared of all illness and no laminitis - which is the worry with almost all horse illness. She was gonna take 2 mo off during the harshest winter months and they're just gonna turn that into a 4mo long layoff instead. She dropped a lot of wieght and hasn't been in training so she'll gear up in lat Jan. The bills will probably be a wash... vet work is expensive but training is no joke either.

I may or may not have a financial stake in a colt running in the fourth at Aqueduct tomorrow 12/9... same ownership group...