Something that is deeply troubling to me - American late 20 somethings and gambling

• Start date
  • Replies 76 Comments
  • Views 6,232 Views
Caspppy. You see me in the winners circle?

I bet sometimes. Use whatevs has a promo so I'll try batavia.

Caspppy. You see me in the winners circle?

I bet sometimes. Use whatevs has a promo so I'll try batavia.

I didnt. I watched it live but didnt pay attention to winners circle. Will watch replay on,one and see if I can see you.

ES.jpg

I'm the guy with his eyes closed. Wife with the green hat two in from the far left.

Very fucking cool Boner. One of my life goals is to be in a picture like that.

Only race that really matters to me is The Bouwrie Stakes on 5/28. My girl shooting for her share of 125k.

English Soul going off today in the 6th @ Belmont. Morning line odds of 8-1.

Horse came in second so we win 20% of the purse. Great finish for this filly who was coming back of a layoff due to injury.

Bought another one. Colt named Rally Cap. Hope he's as good as ES.

Excellent work Boner! Time for a reservation at the Cafe of Love! :heart:

I guess enough is enough with this triple crown hype stuff. The rich wankers trivial pursuit, subsidized by the lowly masses at a 20% vig and a $1000 ticket to see the Derby live, all the while being made to feel fortunate for the honor. :thinking: say that is the American dream

I guess enough is enough with this triple crown hype stuff. The rich wankers trivial pursuit, subsidized by the lowly masses at a 20% vig and a $1000 ticket to see the Derby live, all the while being made to feel fortunate for the honor. :thinking: say that is the American dream

You think any of the rich horse owners make money owning horses? You're fooling yourself. They're the ones subsidizing the sport. Without the owners, who are definitively losing money hand over fist the whole operation folds. For the Belmont the takeout at NYRA is 16% on WPS and you could get in GA for $25. Lowest priced reserve seats started at and were available on the secondary market for $35. Decent seats available at the box and on the secondary market for $65 - this is to actually see the triple crown. To see the derby GA is $70.

Meanwhile English Soul is the 5-2 ML favorite at Finger Lakes for the NY Oaks on Saturday.. Wishing her a safe and winning trip.

yeah I realize that owning horses is overall a losing proposition, but there's a lot more to it than that. Certainly somebody is pocketing the 20% vig (you have to consider the exotics too) Even if all that money is spent on vip parties, upkeep and whatever expenses, the gambler who funds the whole shebang is the unappreciated loser.
I admit I've blown some money on the derby over the years, just because as a gambler you feel the need to participate, due to the hype. That's ok, but at this point I find it more of a spectacle of bourgeoisie ass licking than an actual sporting event or a gamblers super bowl.

A friend of mine wanted to go to the derby so she can walk around in a big hat. I looked up prices and saw around 1k. Told her we get you a big hat and you can walk around the block.
...I think it included some winners circle some thing though. If you can get in for $70 maybe that's not too bad :hattip: How much for somewhere you can sit comfortably Boner?

Lolololol. Someone pocketing the 20% vig. Racetrack owners are going broke too. I suppose the executives of these tracks have salaries way out of wack and that's one fat cat. Another is actually probably trainers. In NY my trainer gets 13% of the purse and charges $100/day to keep the horse in training. He's probably making between 125-200k a year in NY and he's a (hopefully talented) novice. I wish there was more open competition for my business from trainers. They should publish their rates. I agree that takeout needs to be lowered. But horseracing is so fucked that the conversation shouldn't be "who is doing the fucking" but what is each one of us willing to lose?

At the derby sitting comfortably starts at probably $250, maybe $175. But that's at the first or far turn far from the action.

ES entered into the $200,000 Fleet Indian Stakes, race 9 at Saratoga on Friday 8/24. Estimated post is 5:49pm. I should be in attendance. A win would be huge (game changing really) but this is a tough spot, I'm hoping she hits the board.