So, I finally converted...

• Start date
  • Replies 48 Comments
  • Views 3,731 Views
Is being agnostic like betting the draw on a 3-way market?

good first step, now work on not being an asshole.

I'll work on that after I sell this place and find a new source of cash. Hard to not be an asshole when you feel trapped by your own past decisions.

you're here. you're gone. Try to find a happy place and be a good person while your here.

I'll work on that after I sell this place and find a new source of cash. Hard to not be an asshole when you feel trapped by your own past decisions.

What's this all about?

Agnostic is to some degree just half-assed atheism... but not exactly.

Atheists believe that there is 100% no higher power/afterlife/etc. They are 100% sure of this. There is no room for doubt at all, and any doubt shows weakness/lack of intelligence on the part of the believer. The burden of proof is on the religious, and they fail miserably at that proof. Therefore, THERE IS NOTHING.

Agnostics are a bit less definitive about it. They are confident that there is no higher power/afterlife/etc, as logic would dictate that that is the case. But declaring it FACT is a bit extreme for some; some simply want to hold on to a tiny belief that everything will be okay in the end, others simply think it's a bit ambiguous to claim you KNOW the answer.

Is being agnostic like betting the draw on a 3-way market?

I think it's more like the Draw No Bet. You're leaning towards "No God" but the possibly that nobody wins makes you want to hedge out.

Wally, what happens if you chose the wrong religion? What if the Muslims are right? Aren't you in the same boat as us - outside of wasting a lot of time, energy, and money in honor of a phony deity?

What's this all about?

I'm just getting depressed by doing the same thing year after year. This is my sixth crop and every year it's the same thing: critter control, training the plants to grow horizontally, walking through the creek so as not to leave footprints leading to the plants, pumping the water, buying the fertilizers, coming home covered in mosquito bites, etc. etc. I thought I'd use this as a springboard to something else, except it's becoming an end unto itself. I have always had issues with repetition, and I'm reaching my breaking point this year.

I'm just getting depressed by doing the same thing year after year. This is my sixth crop and every year it's the same thing: critter control, training the plants to grow horizontally, walking through the creek so as not to leave footprints leading to the plants, pumping the water, buying the fertilizers, coming home covered in mosquito bites, etc. etc. I thought I'd use this as a springboard to something else, except it's becoming an end unto itself. I have always had issues with repetition, and I'm reaching my breaking point this year.

:redcard:

Damn you just got red carded by Patty Bateman!

Wally, what happens if you chose the wrong religion? What if the Muslims are right? Aren't you in the same boat as us - outside of wasting a lot of time, energy, and money in honor of a phony deity?

Monkey, I honestly can't say. I'm not an overly relegious person. I would like to believe that if there were a God he would be the type of God that would be flexible on that. I would HOPE that he would judge the life led more than the assembly associated with.

Personally I don't belong to a church or a particular relegion. As a kid I spent time going to Baptist church and Mormon church. I relate much more along Baptist ideology than the Mormon but who really knows. I think faith is something we all need to help deal with life. Now I'm not saying said faith has to be an all mighty all forgiving figure such as a God. Faith in my opinion is whatever helps one make it through life.

Atheists believe that there is 100% no higher power/afterlife/etc. They are 100% sure of this. There is no room for doubt at all, and any doubt shows weakness/lack of intelligence on the part of the believer. The burden of proof is on the religious, and they fail miserably at that proof. Therefore, THERE IS NOTHING.

How exactly did you come up with this crap? Do you also have to be 100% sure to say that you believe in quantum mechanics? Who the fuck is 100% sure about anything?

It sounds to me like there is a certain kind of atheist that you dislike, and you've decided for some reason that they are the definition of atheism.

Also, atheism is the belief that there are no deities, not the belief that "there is nothing."

RS now that you are into this new phase you should look up the music of Raul Seixas, brazilian
not only a great musician but an idol to the agnostics/atheists, censored and tortured in the ditadura brasileira
if you love getting drunk on fado you'll love this
the first one "singing to my death"

I was raised Catholic but after the brain washing wore off and I started to think for myself I dont know.
nobody knows, everyones an agnostic.
religion is designed to control the masses.

Scholar, I hear Scientology is gonna be the next big thing.
might wanna check it out.
I'm sure Bread and Robyn are devote followers of the late great L Ron being in the bible belt of scientology:propeller:

One thing you can say for Scientology, they have some very attractive members...

Scientologists run around the streets of downtown Clearwater like rodents, in their little Mickey Mouse uniforms.