• Replies 48 Comments
  • Views 3,705 Views

RogueScholar

I love you, Chord!
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
...to agnosticism. I turned in my resignation at church, just got done packing away all my crucifixes, pictures of Jesus, religious jewelry and bibles in a box and tossed it in the garage. I'm not going to find another church either, I've come to realize that this immortal soul nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Atheism Central welcomes you and your sudden change of heart. Have a seat and tell us your story. :guitar:

(Seriously, what happened? I remember you doing the sign of the cross when we drove past a church last summer.)

Welcome aboard!

I have been an agnostic forever and I believe in it very, very strongly.

So much trouble in this world just because people can't take an agnostic approach and say, "I don't know" about things that are unknowable.

Atheism Central welcomes you

Sorry if it seems like I am nit-picking but as a devout agnostic I must point out that atheism is not the same thing. Atheism suggests certainty that there is not a god.

Agnosticism is the philosophy of answering all questions such as, is there a God? or is there life after death? with, "I don't know."

I know it's not the same thing and we at Atheism Central hope to finalize your conversion within a six-month period.

Homemade chocolate chip cookies will be served at the end of every session.

Sorry if it seems like I am nit-picking but as a devout agnostic I must point out that atheism is not the same thing. Atheism suggests certainty that there is not a god.

Agnosticism is the philosophy of answering all questions such as, is there a God? or is there life after death? with, "I don't know."

Thanks Muddy for clearing this up for me! I want to believe but feeling like "I don't know" doesn't make me an atheist! :hattip:

Atheism Central welcomes you and your sudden change of heart. Have a seat and tell us your story. :guitar:

(Seriously, what happened? I remember you doing the sign of the cross when we drove past a church last summer.)

I don't know that any one thing happened, I'm just in the process of simplifying my life. I took stock of myself and realized that I'd been a really shitty Catholic lately, so I determined that I'd either have to stop being an asshole or stop being Catholic to avoid being a hypocrite. Needless to say, Catholicism got the boot, but then when I started looking at churches that served openly gay members, not only were they all 100+ miles away, but they all looked even lamer than what I was used to. In the end, I decided that if God couldn't be bothered to help one of these religions get it right, I couldn't be bothered contemplating his existence any further.

Mudcat:

"We Agnostics"

How do you handle/deal with all the god references as an agnostic and member of a 12 step recovery program?

Good luck RS and no matter what path you follow, it's the person inside you that counts the most. And that guy IMO from your posts is a well respected and good individual! :yes:

Good luck RS and no matter what path you follow, it's the person inside you that counts the most. And that guy IMO from your posts is a well respected and good individual! :yes:

Thanks MrMonkey, coming from you that means a great deal to me.

I went to church for the 1st time in years this week. I actually went 4 times, I didn't except communion because that felt weird to me. But I felt the whole experience relaxing.

Welcome aboard!

So much trouble in this world just because people can't take an agnostic approach and say, "I don't know" about things that are unknowable.[/QUOTE]

Muddy there are two schools of thought here, yours of course and then one could also say that if each relegion would JUST stick to their relegious beliefs and let others alone things would go smothly as well.

I don't know if I truly believe or not but I do know that I am a terrible gambler and this one looks like you can't afford to be wrong on. I mean if you believe and it turns out it was all a myth the worse that can happen is you lived your life with the hopes a better afterlife, downer but no harm done. On the flip though if we choose to not believe and it turns out to be true then it's eternal damnation.

Wal, that line of reasoning is known as Pascal's Wager. For many years I subscribed to it, but now I think that leading a Christian lifestyle (which for me is what faith boils down to, how it changes the actions you would take in your life from what you would naturally conclude empirically) actually gets in the way of me having a good time. I think the +EV wager in this instance is not to believe, and if God does exist and gives a shit about how many bets we win, he will reward your committment to +EV with more winners.

Welcome aboard!

So much trouble in this world just because people can't take an agnostic approach and say, "I don't know" about things that are unknowable.[/QUOTE]

Muddy there are two schools of thought here, yours of course and then one could also say that if each relegion would JUST stick to their relegious beliefs and let others alone things would go smothly as well.

I don't know if I truly believe or not but I do know that I am a terrible gambler and this one looks like you can't afford to be wrong on. I mean if you believe and it turns out it was all a myth the worse that can happen is you lived your life with the hopes a better afterlife, downer but no harm done. On the flip though if we choose to not believe and it turns out to be true then it's eternal damnation.

Any god that is so insecure that he/she requires blind faith amongst an aggregation of theologies and requires the correct practice between those theologies above leading a just and moral life, is no god for me.

good first step, now work on not being an asshole.

Muddy, the distinction between atheism and "agnostic" is not the claim of certainty. No one claims to know for sure. An atheist is someone who opposes the harm and danger religion poses to societies and individuals. An agnostic.... I don't know what the hell that is. I guess it's an atheist who doesn't want to appear disagreeable.