Settling in the suburbs of Amsterdam

• Start date
  • Replies 58 Comments
  • Views 2,818 Views
I moved operation to Portugal, Netherlands is cool but things are more by the book and slow there, cities are organized by districts and districts are divided by neighborhoods, residence registration happens at the neightborhood level and district level and each takes their own time and process, in Portugal they are very welcoming and have streamlined the process, in a single day they can register for a temporary residence, a tax id number (for rentals, banks), a social security number (for work), a health number (for doctors, hospitals), in a matter of an hour all of that, with those numbers I can shop for a place like a local which is much cheaper than airbnb, and plus I speak Portuguese much easier for me

Salgueiro Maia

Salgueiro_Maia.jpg

PXL_20220412_181807771.jpg

Fernando José Salgueiro Maia, GOTE, GCIH, GCL (1 July 1944 – 4 April 1992 in Santarém), commonly known as Salgueiro Maia (Portuguese pronunciation: [saɫˈɡɐjɾu ˈmajɐ]), was a captain in the Portuguese army. He made a significant contribution to the Carnation Revolution of 1974, which resulted in the fall of the ruling dictatorship.

Whats the food there like, pal?

Lots of seafood, and not so crazy expensive. Today I had codfish and rice in a cafe for 5 euro with the drink included. I have been eating out and not cooking but the prices I've checked out in the grocery are way cheaper than the US. Seen lobsters in the 10-20 euro range. Cheap bakeries also, been eating too much bread cause it's so cheap. Bought a 1.5 liter carton of orange juice for 95 cents, real orange not that diluted Sunny Delight type stuff.

I've been told Setubal, a city an hour away by train, is the hub of the seafood industry in the country. When I have a chance I will go check it out.

Amigo I think you will lose weight while there because you gonna walk more and because the food is healthier.

Also, I'm sure there are plenty of hot chicas, no?

Today I had codfish and rice in a cafe for 5 euro with the drink included.
That cost is unreal! Make me not want to ever cook again.

If possible some food pics along with cost in the you know where thread. :yes:

Man I wish my fiancee wasn't so attached to her mom here in LA. I want to gtfo so bad.

How was Hawaii?
It was great man. Really only complaint is I didn't eat enough fish, fiancee is allergic so we stuck to other stuff. Would have loved to try some of the local poke and sushi spots. But weather was great, drinks were good, nice little break from the stupid real world.