Settling in the suburbs of Amsterdam

• Start date
  • Replies 58 Comments
  • Views 2,835 Views
love poke - tough break on being allergic.

Some of the Ukrainian people I assisted have started going back to UA. There are more still arriving though.

While I was jaded before about all these governments and agencies helping, now I can firmly say that it's all mostly bs. I am sure that the billions in aid are flowing somewhere but it's not reaching the people. From speaking with them, the help that they have received is very little to none. Most of the ones that were able to get out are the ones that could afford to, even if it was just small savings.

This anecdote is first hand experience. There are a few NGOs registered as officially helping Ukrainians in the Government website. Personally I have contacted some of them but they are not answering calls, not answering emails, not really helping in anything, they are always giving me the run around when I do reach them and I am a Portuguese speaker, some of them you can't even get a clear answer to what they provide. One of these days in the local news I saw one of the NGO I had contacted, they were receiving a bus load of Ukrainians. They contacted the local press, CNN Portugal was there, huge PR. What the NGO did was put the Ukrainians in a gym, where the Ukrainians were told, off camera after the press was gone, that they could stay for a grand total of 5 days.

Same with a consortium of hotels that include Holiday Inn. Big PR event, we're helping blah blah. Ukrainians are told to signup in a page for them. They do and get the credits for staying nights, but no room is available, ever. Site is broken. Thousands of people are reporting this online. I have literally seen Ukrainians sleeping outside of hotels in the side walk.

I am sure there are good NGOs and good people doing right stuff but for the most part it doesn't exist. They say don't look a gifted horse in the mouth but these agencies are getting money for their suppose aid. This whole charity and helping business is just business, designed to keep the wealth in the organization. War is profitable and good for the economy, even the aid portion. A big boost to the EU.

Very sad indeed RJ! I don't get it the mindset off these ultra rich business people? If I was rich like some say 100+ mil worth I would like too think I would donate a decent portion of it. :dunno: Of course in your case it's a business that I guess the top people in it can hide from their greediness?

I mean people who have a 10 mil yacht, do they need a 50 mil yacht? Do I need to eat $200 per pound Kobe beef over the $40 best prime available? A 250K+ Ferrari over a top line 100K Mercedes? Okay knowing me maybe the Ferrari yes. And has to be red lol. How much is enough?

Seriously I'm the person remembers my dad telling me years ago, "trust nothing that moves" and "no good deed goes unpunished." Sadly ain't it the truth and how stupid me trying to assist someone ends up coming back in my face. Unfortunately those comments for me are too real.

And ALL our politicians who once have the money, then the need the power. I believe In God and think everyone will get what's coming to them once we die but honestly little by little over the years my faith level is declining.