Sending out Google+ invites

• Start date
  • Replies 284 Comments
  • Views 16,284 Views
Nothing is free. Time is money. So if lets say I have to spend 2 hrs a day on social networks instead of 1 hr I do now that means I'm losing money.

Do I get to control by individual person who sees whatever of mine? Or is it once they're in the circle they see everything?

I've got to investigate this more. I'm willing to put my real stuff up there but I'm worried that a couple of people when they've hit the bottle (or are on their rag) tend to overshare on SBR Chat or SBR period. Or even on here. Too many posters over there make GL references and seem to be up to date on all the goings on yet don't have an account here.

I don't want my shit being blasted around everywhere by those guys.

Oksana, you can share with individual people and prevent them from resharing (or even commenting) within Google+. Everything you post, you need to specify who you're sharing with (it defaults to Public.)

The Circles thing is just a way of categorizing your contacts so you can quickly share with one or all your groups. But you don't need to share with a whole circle if you don't want to.

Nothing is free. Time is money. So if lets say I have to spend 2 hrs a day on social networks instead of 1 hr I do now that means I'm losing money.

Why would your time on them double? Are you going to have a completely different set of contacts on one social network versus another?

Why would your time on them double? Are you going to have a completely different set of contacts on one social network versus another?

I have many contacts overseas (more than 50%) and I doubt they will be willing to switch them all to Google+ from facebook so I will end up having half of my contacts on Google+ and half on facebook. Unless I understood what Matty said wrong. You can't force someone to switch from facebook to Google+, right? They have to accept the invite.

You're not buying a second car. You're replacing a bunch of shitty single-purpose vehicles (FB, LinkedIn, Twitter) with a fully-loaded minivan.

Shit integrates with your Gmail account, Google Talk and all the rest of the G-bullshit.

The brilliance of the Google search engine means that it's at the very center of most people's Internet experience. They just added to that the most flexible and versatile social media platform of all. It took them several tries (Google Buzz anyone?), and for a while it looked like Google had peaked as an innovative company, but I think they got a big big winner this time.

I thing Google+ is biting off more than it can chew if it thinks it can topple facebook.

It's an excellent program, and the integration is huge (especially when they integrate youtube...), but I don't see it catching on on such a massive scale. Facebook is much simpler, and + will undoubtedly roll out ads and games and other lame shit down the road that will make it shittier.

Useful tool for businesses/internet types (that all important 18-35 demographic), but older people and kids? FB is far easier/more appealing.

Facebook is much simpler

:dunno: It's just more familiar. Facebook is a convoluted mess of options. It'll stay around for a while, the same way shitty Myspace managed to survive a long time despite being a totally craptastic, outdated product.

What's complicated about Google+? You add someone like you follow people on Twitter, the only extra step needed is to choose a circle to put them in. Then they either choose to add you back or they don't. The rest is very much like Facebook.

I thing Google+ is biting off more than it can chew if it thinks it can topple facebook.

It's an excellent program, and the integration is huge (especially when they integrate youtube...), but I don't see it catching on on such a massive scale. Facebook is much simpler, and + will undoubtedly roll out ads and games and other lame shit down the road that will make it shittier.

Useful tool for businesses/internet types (that all important 18-35 demographic), but older people and kids? FB is far easier/more appealing.

People said that about Myspace. Look at it now.

Google has a large advantage with owning Android. They can make it pervasive and interoperable with their OS. Facebook has nothing of the sort.

Pavy, you have like 48k posts at sbr. Seems like you have plenty of free time.

I have many contacts overseas (more than 50%) and I doubt they will be willing to switch them all to Google+ from facebook so I will end up having half of my contacts on Google+ and half on facebook. Unless I understood what Matty said wrong. You can't force someone to switch from facebook to Google+, right? They have to accept the invite.

No need to switch now, the userbase is still tiny. But Google+ will take over organically. It'll take a long while but it'll get there.

Isnt Mark Zuckerberg the owner of facebook. Why is he in your circle matty? this shit is weird

Opening another application doesn't equate to consuming twice the amount of time.

Isnt Mark Zuckerberg the owner of facebook. Why is he in your circle matty? this shit is weird

He created an account as soon as Google+ opened. :excl: It created a frenzy when people learned it was really him.

You can add/follow anyone, in Twitter-like fashion.

No need to switch now, the userbase is still tiny. But Google+ will take over organically. It'll take a long while but it'll get there.

Thanks I will give it try. Nothing to lose at this point.

:dunno: It's just more familiar. Facebook is a convoluted mess of options. It'll stay around for a while, the same way shitty Myspace managed to survive a long time despite being a totally craptastic, outdated product.

Myspace never had the sheer volume or global appeal of FB. I know it was big, but it was never completely integrated into everyone's life.

Compartmentalizing your life/people you know is an awesome idea, but just because it is intuitive to you or I doesn't mean it will be to the masses.

Also, I don't think Pavy is in the minority here. I mean even if Google+ is a superior product, what good is it if everyone you know isn't on it like they already are your FB/twitter/email accounts? Even if 85% of my contacts eventually get Google+, when I can have all 100% on the other, why bother?

I think many will hop on because its new and shiny, but even if it IS superior, the daunting task of building up an entire social network again strikes me as more burdensome than "fun and exciting". I'll do it, since I'm into this shit, but I'm willing to bet that many won't.