random MUSIC thoughts

• Start date
  • Replies 517 Comments
  • Views 29,542 Views
Eh, I was just riffing.. sure they're talented. But also album sales does not equal talent. Commercial success does not equal talent. Theyre talented like a highschool talent show has talent. The backstreet boys have sold over 100 million albums and I wouldn't say they're 2x times more talented than U2.

Commercial success MIGHT provide a gut check for some base level of talent but the level that exists in every towns church choir, student accapella group and 1/20 garage bands everywhere. You couldn't plug and play ME in with members of U2 (or BSB) but there are 10s or even 100s of thousands of folks you could.

Thing that sets these groups apart is they (or someone producing them) has some commercial vision and business savvy - a remarkable skill in its own right.
Percentage of hit songs by the Backstreet Boys that were written by any member of the Backstreet Boys: Zero

Percentage of hit songs by U2 that were written by any member of U2: 95%+

Do Taylor next.
Hmmm, I’m not sure what this has to do with U2, though. And I’m not being snarky.

Do you think Taylor Swift is a no-talent?

I don’t listen to Taylor Swift (I’m not her target audience) but I’d never call her a no-talent. She’s absolutely talented.

No you missed the point or didnt read my post (and we're far afield from where we started). I agree U2 are talented. Separately, I don't think that album sales or commercial success proves talent as you insinuated.
It’s ignorant to say that a band that sold 25 million copies of The Joshua Tree and 18 million copies of Achtung Baby has no talent.
[A]lbum sales does not equal talent. Commercial success does not equal talent. The backstreet boys have sold over 100 million albums and I wouldn't say they're 2x times more talented than U2.
No bother. I think we mostly agree though we'd surely disagree about the LEVEL of talent of various artists. I suspect most, including U2, are more flash (marketing, brand, way of life, right place at the right time, etc.) than substance (raw musical ability). I think the flash has more to do with album sales than the substance does and I thought you were using album sales to prove substance.

For the record I was not suggesting BSB is as musically talented as U2.

Did @Boner_18 become another casualty of trons EBATTLE demise?
Other than a very brief EBATTLE with Shortstop, was there some other recent EBATTLE I am unaware of that I was involved in?

Other than a very brief EBATTLE with Shortstop, was there some other recent EBATTLE I am unaware of that I was involved in?
Roflcopter

I was just stirring up your micro U2 battle.

Roflcopter

I was just stirring up your micro U2 battle.
Oh yes yes! Sorry I forgot. I believe Taylor Swift and Backstreet Boys were involved, too.

Can't believe Boner has left us? @Blitty please give us the lowdown! :bringiton:

Probably a temporary thing like Casper probably is and then you have Shortstop. I miss the dude! Maybe he ran out of ammunition like was rumored about the Russian military. :dunno:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't believe Boner has left us? @Blitty please give us the lowdown! :bringiton:

Probably a temporary thing like Casper probably is and then you have Shortstop. I miss the dude! Maybe he ran out of ammunition like was rumored about the Russian military. :dunno:
I like to think the 3 of them are with renocool, playing bingo, at a moose lodge in Binghampton.