Question about tipping

• Start date
  • Replies 131 Comments
  • Views 6,860 Views
man, I was really thinking Casper was gonna go against tipping this time :banghead:

Lol, exactly.

I would never work in a place where I was paid more hourly and tipping wasn't allowed. VERY few restaurants are paying their bartenders $25-$30 an hour (pretty much what I make an hour with tips).

Lol, exactly.

I would never work in a place where I was paid more hourly and tipping wasn't allowed. VERY few restaurants are paying their bartenders $25-$30 an hour (pretty much what I make an hour with tips).
LOL
30 bucks an hour is what a typical bartender makes here Casper before tips

Then again we don't really do tips in this part of the world.

LOL
30 bucks an hour is what a typical bartender makes here Casper before tips

Then again we don't really do tips in this part of the world.

Xpansive, in the USA, bar owners aren't going to pay a bartender or server $30 an hour because of payroll taxes alone. Very few people realize that a $30 an hour server on the books costs a restaurant owner roughly $90 an hour after all is said and done. This article doesn't take that into account. The article says that tipping doesn't provide better service to minorities. If you abolish tipping altogether, you'll end up getting McDonalds style employees working at your place. They aren't going to treat anyone well.

BBQS in lower Manhattan is frequented by African Americans mostly. For a long period of time, the servers would complain that the clientele just did not tip. They would run their servers around and bark at them, then leave a small (if any) tip.

BBQS now adds the tip to ALL orders after 8 PM.

Server morale went up and the business has not suffered.

Xpansive, in the USA, bar owners aren't going to pay a bartender or server $30 an hour because of payroll taxes alone. Very few people realize that a $30 an hour server on the books costs a restaurant owner roughly $90 an hour after all is said and done. This article doesn't take that into account. The article says that tipping doesn't provide better service to minorities. If you abolish tipping altogether, you'll end up getting McDonalds style employees working at your place. They aren't going to treat anyone well.

BBQS in lower Manhattan is frequented by African Americans mostly. For a long period of time, the servers would complain that the clientele just did not tip. They would run their servers around and bark at them, then leave a small (if any) tip.

BBQS now adds the tip to ALL orders after 8 PM.

Server morale went up and the business has not suffered.

Umm. Payroll taxes come out of the employee's paycheck - not from the employer after paying wages. That's probably why the article didn't "take that into account."

Tipped 30 on a 155 dollar dinner bill today.

Not quite 20% but I don't understand why I have to tip an exhuberant amount based on how expensive the meat is on the plate she is carrying.

I have no problem overtipping pizza guys or bartenders by a couple bucks but huge tips at restaurants doesn't sit well with me.

Umm. Payroll taxes come out of the employee's paycheck - not from the employer after paying wages. That's probably why the article didn't "take that into account."

Employers pay taxes. I know this. I've had to do the paper work as a GM. What you pay an employee is only a fraction of what it costs to hire them.

Geez your worse than the darkies. They ALWAYS tip at least 20%.

I think you mean they bitch and complain until they get 20% off their bill and then stiff the waitress.

Employers pay taxes. I know this. I've had to do the paper work as a GM. What you pay an employee is only a fraction of what it costs to hire them.

The only taxes an employer pays for their employee is an employer portion of Social Security, Medicare, and Unemployment. It amounts to roughly 10% of the employee's compensation - not 200% and is considered an expense (tax deductible). The only additional costs to an employer are benefits (health, dental, 401k, etc.) given to that employee voluntarily. They are not taxes.

The only taxes an employer pays for their employee is an employer portion of Social Security, Medicare, and Unemployment. It amounts to roughly 10% of the employee's compensation - not 200% and is considered an expense (tax deductible). The only additional costs to an employer are benefits (health, dental, 401k, etc.) given to that employee voluntarily. They are not taxes.

I am not going to argue with you. The costs are more than 10%. I have done paperwork for restaurants.

I am an owner and/or partner of several companies if you want to flaunt resumes.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. You win.

Social Security employer tax: 6.2% with a wage base limit of $118,500
Medicare employer tax: 1.45%
Nevada Unemployment tax: 2.95% with a wage base limit of $28,200

Add.

Most annoying thing about being my own corporation/employer/employee was having to pay the same taxes twice. Felt like getting raped by two angry govt accountants at once, every month.

10% for the employer part of it is about right, even up here.

Social Security employer tax: 6.2% with a wage base limit of $118,500
Medicare employer tax: 1.45%
Nevada Unemployment tax: 2.95% with a wage base limit of $28,200

Add.
What about 15% self employment ss tax? I thought employer would have to pay similar amount for each employee.

What about 15% self employment ss tax? I thought employer would have to pay similar amount for each employee.

You're just paying both shares of the Social Security and Medicare tax if you're self-employed. Typically, it's split. 6.2% each from the employer and the employee for SS (12.4% total) and 1.45% each (2.9% total) for Medicare.

I am an owner and/or partner of several companies if you want to flaunt resumes.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. You win.

Not flaunting resumes. Pointing out a fact. I know what I had to do and what it entailed. Congrats on being a part owner in a few companies. Good to see your life is awesome.

Not flaunting resumes. Pointing out a fact. I know what I had to do and what it entailed. Congrats on being a part owner in a few companies. Good to see your life is awesome.

You're not pointing out facts. I'm pointing out facts. Actual numbers. From legitimate certified accountants.