P-Roids Question and Answer: Durito 500

wal66

Since
Feb 1, 2010
Score
Tokens
Hey Wakky, this is Polaroid and here are some questions - you're now officially on the record. I'll also do a little write up around the statistical side of it all this week as well. It was a very entertaining challenge so well done for taking it on, for seeing it through and most importantly for winning.

To refresh our memories what made you partake in this challenge in the first place?

Durito pissed me off one night and I wanted to prove something to one of the Pro’s. It turned out that Durito was drinking and was just trying to get a rise out of me which he did. It’s hard to bow up on the internet so I made this challenge as a way to head butt Durito.

I think I have a better understanding of Durito both sober and not now though.

At what point in the challenge, if any, did you regret taking it on?

There were a couple of bad runs along the way but Baseball almost tanked me. I was close to calling it quits until football season when I went from over $2400 and +40 games over .500 to $500 to the good.

Outside of the Baseball though there were a couple of times when I thought it was a lot of work. I don’t have a program that automatically collects and sorts my data so every single play has to be done by hand. It takes up more time than one might think. It definitely isn’t a good return when you break it down into man hours.

Name three (or more) things, which will be beneficial for you going forward, that you learned in this challenge?

I can’t say that I learned this during this challenge but it was confirmed that if you trust in your system and stick with it even in the bad runs it stands a chance of paying off.

I gained an enormous amount of respect for these guys that do this for a living. Even if you have a program and much of it is automated it is still plenty of work. Add to that the ups and downs and having the perseverance to stay at it.

I learned that some of you think that ERA’s are luck influenced.

I learned that P-Roid has a devilish stubborn streak and doesn’t like to conceded a point.

Is there anything you wanted to learn but didn't?

I wished I had paid attention to the prices closer so I could instantly recognize a price and convert it in my head. The easy ones I know at a glance but -138 or along those lines still makes me stop and think or look it up.

I finally learned but learned too late that I should ONLY play first games in a series or wait and play AGAINST a team getting swept in a series in Baseball.

What mistakes did you make during the challenge?

To be successful I think I would need to completely trust my system and play all the plays that qualify. That would mean I would have to play them for less money per game but several times I cost myself breaking even or making money by excluding a bunch of plays.

The flip side to what I just explained is Baseball. In Baseball I needed to be more selective and I really need to find something else to add to my system to help increase my edge. I had a losing record in Baseball so maybe I need to find an edge before increasing it.

You were working from a modeling system of some kind - without revealing all the finer details, what variables was it based around?

College Basketball just like in College Football I am heavily reliant on Sargin Rankings. I have a few tweaks of my own to add in but I start with a Sargin’s base.

Hockey is so simple it would make you laugh. It’s straight stats. I look at head to head, last 10 regular season games, scoring average and scoring differential. I would really like to spend some time learning more about the goalies and home and away history of teams.

Baseball I basically used the same stuff as I did in hockey but also added ERA’s and series records throughout the season.

Basketball and Football I have a home brew for home advantage but I never got around to playing with that in Baseball or Hockey.

Did you tweak the system at any point of the challenge or just go with what you trusted?

There was some tweaking during Baseball but to be honest the entire challenge was in essence a tweakfest because I really have never bet with any length of time any of the sport’s used for this challenge. College Football and NFL is basically all I have ever wagered on.

Your thread got a views to replies ratio that was higher than the Random Thoughts thread - how does that feel?

Mixed emotions here. I’m not sure if it was people checking in to see if I was failing or checking in to see if there was a decent play posted.

There was some chatter in the thread but the main support was from Archie and MrMonkey with a good dose of MudCat along the way.

Would you do it all again?

It’s hard to say. I wanted to prove something here and I think I did but I set this up more at a disadvantage to myself. You guys see the -110 as a disadvantage but that really wasn’t something I considered all that hard.

I forced myself to keep posting plays. Sure I took a few days off here and there but for the most part I made myself feel as if I had to keep at it.

Also I set this up as basically a challenge against myself. Sure, all I had to do was show a winning record and a profit but I think it is kind of easier going head to head against someone.

Have you got a message to durito?

I’ve said it already but it truly needs repeating. Durito deserves a lot of credit here for accepting this challenge under the terms I laid out. He could have easily chose to challenge me head to head and he most likely would have won.

I appreciate you for having the courage to accept such a challenge. I have seen poster challenges in the past but I have never seen one where someone manned up and paid off.

Last edited by a moderator:
good work wal

good work polaroid

good work durito

chalk one up for gamelive here

P-Roid, you cleaned that up nicely. Way better than I originally posted it and much easier on the eyes.

job well done Wally :thumbsup:

now lets get to NCAAF already :dance:

Wally, I didn't read much of the thread but congratulations man. That is really impressive.

I do want to say, with baseball ERA should not be given too much credence. Baseball is a very streaky sport. When you are analyzing pitchers, pay closer attention to GB/FO ratios and whip...especially over the last 3-5 games. I usually focused on totals in baseball, and these were way more crucial to me than ERA.

Good luck going forward Wakky!

what do you mean it's hard to bow up on the internet? blow?

You know...bow up. Puff your chest out, look all intimidating and shit. Bow the fuck up.

what do you mean it's hard to bow up on the internet? blow?

Not bow as in bow down.
Not bow and in bow and arrow.
Bow up as in puff out your chest, flex and do the gorilla arm pose.

"Durito - he is disqualified for posting at sbr"

Well this sucks.

+1450 would be a 2.9% edge, in case you wanted to know. Keep in mind that the vig on a -110 is 5%

congrats again to wally and gamelive for hosting a clean challenge

I love the first sentence.

Just a guess here wal but i think visitors were going to the thread to get picks. :yes:

Oh man I would love to see wallybubbles pounding his chest king kong style.

Congrats Wally :wally:

Durito deserves a lot of credit here for accepting this challenge under the terms I laid out. He could have easily chose to challenge me head to head and he most likely would have won.

Durito, can you confirm or deny this?

P-Roid, I went back and broke each sport down. My eyes are crossed and somehow I came up with a total of 257 plays not including the 8 PUSHES. I also came up with a total of $1344 profit instead of the $1250 so I obviously misread some stuff even though I tried to make every play very clear.

The point really isn't what I ended up at and what I back-checked though. What I learned is I won this challenge on Hockey.

College Hoops 128-114 +$385 (In my head I thought I did better than this)

NHL 30-16 +$1333 ( I thought I did way more hockey than this)

NBA 2-5 -$312

PGA 1-0 +$68

MLB 109-102 -$130