Movies discussion - 2/1/10

• Start date
  • Replies 68 Comments
  • Views 12,566 Views
Christoph Waltz was just nominated for Best Supporting Actor for the Academy Awards. He has that one in the bag. I was mesmerized by him in that movie. Amazing actor.

This was my comment about The Hurt Locker from the thread a couple weeks ago at Peep's:

So I did not get out to any new releases in the last week but I rented The Hurt Locker. It is very good. I have seen that it is at or near the top of many critics Best of 2009 lists and I agree. 8 out of 10.

If anyone doesn't know, it is about American bomb squad types in Iraq during the war. Suspenseful and insightful.

Arch, you can't say that about a movie if you didn't watch it in the entirety! But if it has one of those "everything is always alright in the end" type endings, I would feel the same way.

fair enough, and It didn't have a that type of ending, so give it a shot

Here are the 10 Best Picture Oscar nominees, just announced:

The Hurt Locker
District 9
Up
Inglourious Basterds
The Blind Side
Up in The Air
A Serious Man
An Education
Precious

district 9? really?

From the discussion I have heard, District 9 is just the sort of movie they instituted this new 10-nominee format for.

Like last year they were wishing The Dark Knight could have been represented - thinking it would motivate the sizable comic book crowd to pay more attention and widen the viewing demographic. But it fell just short of the top 5.

So walla! - increase it to 10. Same thinking would apply to the sci-fi crowd.

Last edited:
Hmm. I loved Avatar, but it seriously doesn't strike me as the Best Picture type of film. I guess it really says something for the lack of creativity in storylines and plots of movies these days.

Up in the Air.....very good, Clooney is dialed in lately. He pics good roles.

The Hurt Locker. Really enjoyed this movie.

Inglorious Basterds. Loved it.

Up in the Air.....very good, Clooney is dialed in lately. He pics good roles.

Anyone else see Fantastic Mr. Fox? I loved it, but then, I'm a big Wes Anderson fan, so no surprises there.

The year is only a month old....

You smartass. "In the last year" can refer to the last 365 days, not just the current calender year. And as this year is only a month old, LAST year meant 2009. Take that smartass.

Yes ma'am. Definitely worth the few dollars. This was one of the best I saw all year.

You smartass. "In the last year" can refer to the last 365 days, not just the current calender year. And as this year is only a month old, LAST year meant 2009. Take that smartass.

Cheater....you are now just lying! :lmao:

I guess I need to see more movies. I have not watched a single movie that was talked about in this thread.

I with you - the only one I've seen is Momento, and I have a place in my heart for it because I can't remember shit.
It was great... I think.

The last movie I saw was Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakuel. I need to play with adults more often.

And I've found Drew to be completely hot for years. Maybe cuz I'm a girl. Ladies, am I alone?

Almost time for me to start capping the Oscars. Yes yes.

Here are the 10 Best Picture Oscar nominees, just announced:

The Hurt Locker
District 9
Up
Inglourious Basterds
The Blind Side
Up in The Air
A Serious Man
An Education
Precious

Unreal. I am 0 for 10 in seeing these. Inglorious Bastards I will most likely see soon.

From the discussion I have heard, District 9 is just the sort of movie they instituted this new 10-nominee format for.

Like last year they were wishing The Dark Knight could have been represented - thinking it would motivate the sizable comic book crowd to pay more attention and widen the viewing demographic. But it fell just short of the top 5.

So walla! - increase it to 10. Same thinking would apply to the sci-fi crowd.

That's exactly what happened. A conversation with some "expert" on The Today Show mentioned that movies such as District-9, were high grossing movies and therefore deserved a slot. WHAT? That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. A top grossing picture does not a good movie make.

No, that's like saying Britney deserves a grammy.

Did she ever win a grammy?

Best guess, is she completely shaved down below or the triangle?