Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,224 Views
It's hard to summarize. The creator/director is Paolo Sorrentino who is a pretty bold, artsy, self-indulgent dude. He's not a guy who disappears behind the camera. He's a presence. He has ideas and he goes for it. I don't love every single move he makes, but I do like him on balance. I felt the same way about his movie Youth.

There are a lot of issues that are discussed with depth and intelligence. The nature of love as it applies to the church. They certainly address homosexuality and pedophilia. The business and politics of the church. Islamic terrorism. The general dippiness that can be part of any religious belief.

But there is a lot of genuinely soulful looking at the human condition.

The Young Pope of season 1 was a brash American played by Jude Law. At the start of season 2 he is in a coma and they decide to elect a new pope. That ends up being a tortured Brit played by John Malkovich.

It's pretty easy to guess whether or not the first pope will miraculously come out of his coma.

I would add: Sorrentino enjoys going sexy with things and that's why the opening titles are so interesting.

Three words: cloistered nun pussay.

Each episode starts with a new little dance video and it's completely absurd but really sexy and dammit, I'm kinda loving it.

ah thanks. might have to watch opening.

I looked it up, and I guess it's
cloistered nun, pussay
and not
cloistered, nun pussay,
so it's the nun that's cloistered, and not the pussay :thinking: which is a little disappointing, for someone who never heard the word cloistered

Yeah the openings are intentionally out there. Here's the first one and they keep changing episode to episode. It helps a bit to see what leads in to the first one - but whatever.

I really dug it: The New Pope. I don't remember liking The Young Pope that much (as evidenced by my lack of hurry to watch the new season which actually came out months ago.)

I don't love every single thing. Sorrentino takes some big cuts and sometimes it's swing-and-a-miss. He definitely has his haters.

But for me, sometimes - often - there is really interesting stuff that sticks with you and I'm thinking about it all week.

Apparently there will be a third season so I'll look forward to that, whatever it's called.

As for the present, I think I'll look at this new HBO series with Mark Ruffalo, I Know This Much is True.

One thing I've done while engaging in some computer drudgery is watch/listen-to the Cats movie. I got that on in the background.

Not that Cats movie. There was a movie done in 1998. It's basically just a filming of a stage production (with a handful of minor little effects thrown in).

One thing the 2019 movie did was make me think, you know, maybe I was wrong all along. Maybe it was never any good. What could I possibly have ever liked about it?

No, I love it. Not every single number, but the good stuff is so good.

I've been digging BILLIONS

Just started season 3.

Reminds me of a BADASS boner. Waspy upstater horse betting finance hedgefund gueys.

Are Eugene Levy and Dan Levy considered Canadian royalty?

No. You have to stay in Canada to be considered royalty.

Pro athletes get a pass (unless they retire elsewhere.)

Gretzky gets a pass no matter where he lives. We own his ass.

As for the present, I think I'll look at this new HBO series with Mark Ruffalo, I Know This Much is True.

Oppressive. Dark. Joyless. Authentic and believable for sure but wow.

It punishes you for watching it.

It kinda reminds me of the movie Eighth Grade from a couple years ago. The cinematic values are high - It's really authentic - very well done - but it's sticking a bunch of stuff in my face I have carefully arranged my life so I don't have to deal with.

UNRELENTING ANGST. I don't dig a lot of unrelenting angst in my life.

But it's good. I dunno. I'll keep going with it.

Sounds like I'm going to love it.

Episode 7 of The New Pope they totally departed from the "Good Time Girl" intro theme.