Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,722 Comments
  • Views 927,323 Views
So the Deadwood movie is out tomorrow.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deadwood is on my Mount Rushmore of shows so it is a pretty big thing over here.

I am so used to everything taking forever that I wasn't expecting it so soon.

But it's exactly that soon.

George, George, George of the Jungle strong as he can be
Watch out for that tree

:handshake:

Yeah I thought the second season of Fleabag was very good. A lot of LOL moments.

Like the first season, there were occasional bits that were incredibly broad and belly-floppish. It's really surprising when it happens because it's so sophisticated most of the time. But I guess that's the deal. A little uneven - with the good stuff outweighing the eye-rolly by quite a bit.

I hate the title BTW. I have always hated the title. But whatever.

As for a possible season 3, creator/star Phoebe Waller-Bridge addressed the topic pretty clearly: “I have thought about it and there isn't going to be one.”

:handshake:

It was pretty flawless for me. Nothing belly-flopped or eye-rolled here. Hilarious and touching. I really liked the sister's husband's final speech. Really gave him some depth and squeezed a little empathy for him out of me without making him any less of an asshole. Things like that aren't commonly pulled off.

I can't wait to see what she does next.

I know she was in one of those Star Wars movies. I don't know how big a role it was but you get into those, that can trump a lot of stuff career-wise.

I thought Deadwood: The Movie (2019) was really good. I am so pleased with it.

As it's based on a TV show that I consider one of the best things of all time, it was a set-up for disappointment - how can they possibly live up to it? - but I thought they didn't try to do too much - but they didn't do too little - they stayed true to the characters - they managed to create some of those moments like they did before. Moments where they reach into my gut and make me feel.

A TV series is obviously a different canvas to tell stories and develop things - but I thought they came up with a nice little plot and filled 2 hours in an absorbing, satisfying way.

Flashbacks were a necessary evil but I thought they delivered them with taste and brevity. Just remind you what needs reminding and move on.

I have one main complaint. The show always had slightly stilted dialogue which has been described as pseudo-Shakespearean. It never bothered me in the series but I thought they went a bit overboard with it at times in this movie.

But overall, a solid 8 out of 10

iu

Someone leaked tonight's Jeopardy! episode. I repeat, someone leaked Jeopardy!

And I watched it.

Agreed on Chernobyl.

Hiroshima is well done also

Yeah whatchoo talkin' aboat Tron?

Everything about Chernobyl was outstanding. The acting, the directing, the horrific visuals (that dying firefighter, holy sheeit.) Just wow.

9.3 Matty Rains out of a possible 10

Hiroshima is a film on Netflix about............you guessed it........the before, during and after of the atomic bomb that essentially ended World War II

Hiroshima is a film on Netflix about............you guessed it........the before, during and after of the atomic bomb that essentially ended World War II

Which one? I see three of them on Netflix.

I watched the new 6-part mini-series adaptation of Catch-22. It's okay but it doesn't live up to the classic source material. There are problems with uneven tone. Also there were some specific scenes/details I consider important which I guess they just chose to leave out.

It's okay though. You could do a lot worse than watching this.

The Pirates of Somalia

Repeating theme that most of the world considers Americans/Canadians one in the same.

Yeah, no, The Chi has lost me. Season 2 just didn't come together. Still a few episodes left but I'm out.

This Chernobyl mini-series is the highest rated TV property ever according to the imdb ratings. Higher than the Planet Earth docs - Cosmos - Game of Thrones - The Wire . . .

Well, everything. Ever.

I thought it was very good. I don't think I would call it the #1 thing of all time - but very good.