Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 946,086 Views
Watching Swingers right now. I thought I always heard this was a classic movie?

Fucking painful. Laboring to make it all the way through. Thoroughly annoying experience.

It is a classic, IMO.

I don't think we have the same tastes in movies, though.

I mean, I think "Strangeways, Here We Come" by The Smiths is a classic. Many, many people would totally disagree. Movies and music are so subjective.

Welcome back, Bread.

Vince Vaughn is annoying in everything. Jon Favreau is terrible in everything I can think of.

I should've known better. I should've known.

Vince Vaughn is MONEY you just don't know it.

Vince Vaughn is annoying in everything. Jon Favreau is terrible in everything I can think of.

I should've known better. I should've known.

interesting point. I liked Swingers when I saw it many years ago. Didn't know much about the main actors at the time and they appeared to be interesting fresh faces. The themes and conversations seemed original too.

Guessing I would dislike Swingers if I saw it for the first time today knowing the kind of crap Vaughn in particular does. And the themes have become passe.
Come to think of it I probably wouldn't have cared for Clerks if I saw it after watching the horrendous ClerksII.

Vince Vaughn is incredibly annoying. He's right behind Ed Helms on the list of actors who you want to slap across the face with a fish.

Vince Vaughn's good until you realize that he's not acting. I can't even recall the name of a single character of his. It's just Vince Vaughn.

Not sure why Jon Favreau insists on acting either. Bad bad bad.

It is a pretty routine part of my existence to see things that have some kind of following - whether it be movies, TV, music - and to not see the attraction. As it turns out I am arrogant enough that I never wonder what I am missing. I always just conclude, People are idiots with no taste and discrimination.

Reno brought up Kevin Smith. That is a great example for me. Quite a few people get all carried away about his movies but there is just nothing going on there at all. So weak. I can see he wants a lot of credit for talking dirty. :dunno:

I have seen Swingers. I don't think I found it as bad as Kevin Smith movies; I think I just found it unremarkable. I remember next to nothing that happens in it at this point.

Last edited:
+1 re: Kevin Smith

fok that unremarkable hack

Agree to disagree on Vaughn. This is one of the better performances you will ever see.

+1 re: Kevin Smith

fok that unremarkable hack

Chasing Amy and Clerks were pretty impressive for the early 90's.

I enjoy the majority of his movies. :nuffsaid:

Agree to disagree on Vaughn. This is one of the better performances you will ever see.

bacon, we get Vaughn and Fav. :smooch:

The Ides of March (2011) - Another very good movie from George Clooney who directed, co-wrote and co-starred. Clooney really has became a great friend to lovers of intelligent film. He gets involved in so much stuff that ends up being well above the Hollywood norm.

The Ides of March is an astute and well presented and well-paced tale surrounding an election campaign. The performances are also very good (with the exception perhaps of Evan Rachel Wood whose acting is just okay but she looks very good anyway).

I give this film a 7.3. It could be higher except for a couple of logic holes. At least I perceived them to be logic holes. It wasn't really glaring stuff but there were a couple of key points that pushed the plot along that I really thought would not have had the real world importance they were given here. If anyone has seen this film and can discuss it, speak up so I can ask for your take on a couple things.

was up early this morning and watched season 2 premier of Boss... awesome show

drugstore cowboy
random laurel & hardy
time bandits

Other films seen recently

J. Edgar (2011) - There is no doubt that Clint Eastwood knows his way around a film but this is not one of his best. I really loved the bits about Hoover's professional development and philosophies within the FBI, both the good and bad. I was much less interested in the personal life stuff like his supposedly ambiguous sexuality or his relationship with his mother. The Naomi Watts character seemed like little more than a prop. Overall I give it a 6.6 out of 10.

Clash of the Titans (2010) - It is a passable action-packed yarn. Tried and true material. I don't really understand why they found it necessary to change so many little details from the accepted Greek mythology. There is stuff they changed that made no difference at all. They changed it for the sake of changing it. How's that for a concept?: the accuracy of mythology. Are you keeping your myths accurate? :dunno: Anyhoo, it is certainly not an all-time great movie but it passed the time. 5.6 out of 10.

Barney's Version (2010) - Not bad, not bad. It started off as a movie about an annoying guy I didn't like but evolved into something more. I liked the astuteness of the observations about relationships. It was kind of unfocused and they gave the female lead to someone named Rosamund Pike who can't act at all, but there was some good stuff along the way. 6.4 out of 10.

5.6. Ouchie.

Can you look at your imdb acct and see what you listed at exactly 5.7? I'd be curious.

rayray where can i stream the wire season 1 episode 1 and on?

5.6. Ouchie.

Can you look at your imdb acct and see what you listed at exactly 5.7? I'd be curious.

Not sure if you are riding me but no, imdb ratings must be rounded off to even numbers so I have Clash of the Titans at 6.

5.6 is not bad from me. That is a slight thumbs up.