Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 942,537 Views
You know what I think I"m going to rewatch that this weekend, ty for the reminder Muddy. Great movie but it's become too vague in my mind, looking forward to this :cheers:

It is certainly very plot-intensive for a Scorsese flic. Not a lot of looking around and taking in the sights. I would say it is my favorite Marty movie, a notch above The Aviator/Goodfellas. The only wildcard there might be Taxi Driver. It has been so long since I've seen it, I don't know how I feel about it.

If you re-watch Taxi Driver anytime soon, notice the brothel address that Jodi Foster walks out of.

It is 202 13th street at the corner of 13th and 3rd avenue.

That is where Blitty resides.

Well I'll be jiggered.

I would like to watch it again ASAP but it is just a matter of having it turn up in my listings. I'm sure it will eventually.

Based on memory, I will find it highly overrated - like not as much as Raging Bull but significantly.

But still, I could be wrong about that and I'd like to have a look.

The Departed is the one with Jack Nicholson right? I thought it was very bad movie.
I find no believable motive for his characters actions. And then there's a bunch of typical twists and turns at the end.
The one somewhat redeeming part was Mark Wahlberg character. What do people like about this?

I kind of agree with Reno. I was jazzed about seeing The Departed but after seeing it I felt somewhat jilted. I wanted more, more action, better acting, a stronger impact. I mean it was ok but not worth the anticipation for what could have been so much better.

Not surprisingly I enjoyed both Goodfellas and the Aviator better as well as Raging Bull. Granted the acting in bot Raging Bull and Goodfellas could have been better but that can be said for so many movies. The Aviator was so vast and was about such an eccentric character that maybe I was more overwhelmed than entertained but I didn't feel jilted afterwards like with The Departed.

Watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles the other day, for the first time in years.

Man I miss John Candy.

What's the worst name for a movie? Something that by the name alone you would be sure you never wanna see?

4 weddings and a funeral?

I recently saw Moonrise Kingdom and that was a title that stood out to me for its badness.

Just on its own, I am ready for a nap by the third syllable. And then when you see the movie, the title has no relation to it. At least not that I noticed.

If you're going to choose just anything for your movie title and not be restricted by relating it to the narrative, find something with more pizzazz I say.

What's the worst name for a movie? Something that by the name alone you would be sure you never wanna see?

4 weddings and a funeral?

Big fat greek wedding?

Anything with wedding..

Not that you aren't entitled but I'm pretty sure you already posted this. You must truly be scorned by this movie title. If I were Taco or Archie I could find the thread.

I'm just afraid that Jennifer Lawrence and I are going to have a thing.

From what I have seen, she is not a good actress. I do not enjoy her work. But critics have gone completely gaga.

Regarding her new movie, Silver Linings Playbook, I have seen raves and Oscar predictions and descriptions like, "The most promising young actress of her generation."

Now that's fine. I haven't seen that movie. It's a good bet I will someday and I will watch it and her with an open mind. Maybe she's really good. The problem is that the same critics make their case also pointing to her performance in Winter's Bone (wooden) and The Hunger Games (worse than wooden).

I am fearing this is going to be Keira Knightly all over again. I find she (Keira) is not just weak but basically ruins any movie she is in. (Some) critics love her. Those critics are what I like to call "insane." I'm pretty sure she has an Oscar nomination. I know Jennifer Lawrence does for her extended woodenness in Winter's Bone. Now I know quite a few people agree with me about Keira Knightly. I'm not yet clear if there is a similar contingent about Jennifer Lawrence. Probably too soon to say.

Hopefully she just improves and it all becomes a moot point.

But I'm just afraid that Jennifer Lawrence and I are going to have a thing.