Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 949,234 Views
Yeah. The arsonist killer is strange. Just weird they would introduce a new bad guy this late in the season.

So really all that's left is Laguerta further realizing her suspicions toward Dexter and then the Quinn v George storyline. I don't care about either. Started out as a promising season, but the last two episodes have been brutal to watch.

The two step-kids, after being out of the show for a couple seasons, reappear for one episode and now they're gone again? What was the point of that?

Deb is still ugly.

Yeah, unless they have something unforeseen planned, the appearance of the kids was pointless and arbitrary. Are they done with the Deb-in-love-with-Dexter thing now? Is that it for that?

Seems like they're just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

Maybe Hanna is going to turn on Dexter. She did not look totally on board when he was confessing his feelings. I think I saw some ambiguity there. Maybe the appearance of the kids was just to trigger some evil stuff in Hanna.

Maybe Hanna versus Dexter will be the big splashy ending to the season.

(All my other predictions have been wrong so might as well lob out another :dunno:)

MrsM worked overnight last couple!

Fracture What can I say! Been awhile since I watched the movie AGAIN all the way through! Hopkins and Gosling are on my like list and are right on in this one!

20frac600.jpg

9 out of 10

The Lincoln Lawyer Might take some static for this one, but very enjoyable movie for me to watch! I don't listen to talk that Matthew M is beginning to be the next Nick Cage! Movie keeps my interest and always a pleasant sight to see Marisa Tomei with or without her clothes on!

lincolnlawyer3.jpg

7.5 out of 10

My memory of Fracture was being very disappointed about a crucial plot point. Sure, I like Hopkins and Gosling but the whole thing hinged (as I recall) - (spoiler alert??) - on this genius guy not realizing - (and never having it pointed out to him either) - that double jeopardy wouldn't apply to a murder trial when the first trial was attempted murder

I knew that and my legal training is basically limited to watching Law and Order. This guy was supposed to be some mastermind?

It wasn't some minor detail from the first act. It was the crux of the whole movie.

My recollection is that everything was pretty good up to that point but that was a major facepalm for me.

Fracture was really good (i agree with muddy on the facepalm though)...part of the stellar group of movies from 2007... all genres combined, best year for movies i can recall :yes:

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - I have been hearing about this former Best Picture epic my entire life and I finally got around to watching it.

For me, this is one of those flics that is clearly well-done and I can appreciate the craftmanship - it is a movie that screams Oscar - the Directing nod for David Lean would have to be one the great no-brainers of all time - but I would really have to be desperate for something to do to ever watch it again from start to finish. 3.5 hours is a long time and there isn't that much that happens. I wouldn't say there is a lot of pointless stuff in there - it is just very emphatic about certain minute details in a way that is not my favorite thing.

Oddly, despite the 3.5 hour length, one complaint I have is they didn't explain what was going on very thoroughly. In terms of the actual conflicts and how the groups and nations are interrelated, it's almost like they assumed you had read up on it all before sitting down to the movie. But I hadn't, and many times people would be fighting and I was just guessing at the reasons and significance.

There is some good stuff in there - it looks really good on paper - but the fact I would be so resistant to watching it again must be factored into the rating.

6 out of 10 for me.

Yes, I see what you and RR are saying and I'm always asking MrsM too many questions being not quick on the uptake ....... but with Fracture, yes it seemed obvious but Hopkins thought he was so smart ........ and if random cell phone switch didn't happened ........ bad guy seemed to be going away ........ getting away probably to a foreign country and never returning! He just wanted her dead! Plus I've heard there are no perfect crimes! :dunno:

My Final Analysis: Gosling >>> Hopkins

The Science of Sleep (2006) - Aggressively wistful, whimsical, fanciful artsy stuff from writer-director Michel Gondry, best known for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

It covers some similar territory to Eternal Sunshine however not nearly as effectively for a bunch of reasons I won't attempt to lay out right now.

It's okay. It has some fun, humorous moments of surrealism. Other than to show that people sometimes wish they could change reality, it is pretty pointless. It's just a bunch of stuff. I could see pragmatists turning it off long before it's done. I could see artsy folk rating it 10.

(It has Charlotte Gainsbourg who is going to be in the upcoming Lars Von Trier film where she will apparently have real unsimulated sex. I am a bit more interested in seeing her have real sex than I was before. She is not a classical beauty but she has an off-beat appeal.)

Anyway, 6 out of 10.

So much chit went down last episode of Boardwalk Empire it's not even funny. The finale looks like it will be insane. I think half face man takes him out....I think half face man takes him out and ends the whole thing.

Watched Lawless on demand after work yesterday. I liked it but the acting wasn't great. I just liked it mostly for the time period and the fact it was loosely based on true events and people.

Still watching the show House of Lies. It's kinda hanging by a thread. Sometimes it feels like more of a chore than an anticipated pleasure to start up an episode but I have kept going (~4 episodes so far?).

Kristin Bell has an evil face but she had a little dance in her underwear in the most recent episode.

Girl has a nice bod.

The show has some nudity but I guess she must have it in her contract that she won't be nude. They had every opportunity to go there last episode but avoided it in a conspicuous way.

Love that show.

Damn straight Muddy.

sons of anarchy has more dumb shit going on than young/restless , as the world turns and days of our lives could ever dream of putting out there...

shoot drugs in an ex junkies bicep instead of a vein and expect that to be believable:boo: ... have some guy , who was banging the clubs mom, loan you half a million to get said junkie from kidnappers:boo: ... the brother of the nurse otto kills turns out to be an ex us.marshal:boo: ... come the fuck on ... its still somewhat entertaining, but i hate to say it, im beginning to hate watching it the same as i hated to watch breaking bad...

sons of anarchy has more dumb shit going on than young/restless , as the world turns and days of our lives could ever dream of putting out there...

shoot drugs in an ex junkies bicep instead of a vein and expect that to be believable:boo: ... have some guy , who was banging the clubs mom, loan you half a million to get said junkie from kidnappers:boo: ... the brother of the nurse otto kills turns out to be an ex us.marshal:boo: ... come the fuck on ... its still somewhat entertaining, but i hate to say it, im beginning to hate watching it the same as i hated to watch breaking bad...

Yeah it's gotten especially hokie man at first I thought the addition of Smits was great but this As the World Turns shit is for the birds; still watchable but dropping off. I know a big part of the following is groupie chicks who are into the bikers/Jax and the writing seems to in large part seems to be drifting towards them.

I rewatched The Departed (2006) last night. First time I have seen it since it was in the theaters I think. Very good movie. I had it in my top 15 all-time and it was not fresh in my mind so I wasn't sure if it really belonged, but I think it's fine there.

Only two complaints: not crazy about Vera Farmiga in her role.

And two: the very last shot shows a big rat walking along the balcony railing of the fancy schmancy apartment. In a movie that never strayed from stark realism, it seemed like an affected and hokey gesture.

But standing by my 9 out of 10 rating.

That's quite the rating! I also rewatched it recently, I think it was on AMC. Very good movie, but 9 Muds?!?

That'll take a while to sink in man.

The first time I saw it was on a date and I remember the girl repeatedly covering her face with her hands and gasping as brains got blown out one after another.

Good times.