Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,732 Comments
  • Views 949,234 Views
So it goes.

I have The Beach at 5.

what would make a movie "flawless"? It's like you're judging a figure skating routine. What are the required elements?

I've tried to have this conversation before. It's pointless. Figure skaters actually get 10's once in a while.

I'm with Muddy, I don't think there is such a thing as a :10: movie.

If we're grading on a curve, sure, but then every time you'd watch a better overall movie you'd have to shift every other rating down.

I'm lazy.

Is there such thing as a 10 novel? A 10 song? A 10 painting?

No? Why not write the perfect movie, novel, song, painting, etc. yourself if you have the capacity to judge all of them to be flawed?

You don't have to shift anything down if there are 10's with a bell curve. There would be a relatively constant percentage of movies that fall into each specific category.

No 10's.

Then lower your scale, because it's defunct. There's no point in having a 10 on your scale.

Looking at the world of entertainment as a whole, you have the piano intro to The Firth of Fifth which is a perfect 10.

That may be it.

Looking at the world of entertainment as a whole, you have the piano intro to The Firth of Fifth which is a perfect 10.

That may be it.

Not quite. Apocalypse in 9/8 from Suppers Ready is pretty impressive.

Life of Pi - Not sure what to think. I guess you're supposed to be moved by nature and by the power of storytelling. It's a pretty movie with a lot of cute funny moments. Pleasant experience, would not watch again, will never read the book.

7.1 Matty Rains

(The CGI tiger was incredibly well done.)

Why would you never read book?

Cause it's not a very interesting story. Guy had to survive 227 days in a lifeboat so he told himself stories. The end.

It's a very pretty movie.

:dunno:

Lots of good movies coming out now. Very good reviews from multiple sources for The Life of Pi this weekend - also Silver Linings Playbook.

Lincoln last weekend.

Hopefully Les Miserables which is coming very soon won't disappoint. I'll actually be getting up off my butt to go see that one in the theater.

Lots of good movies coming out now. Very good reviews from multiple sources for The Life of Pi this weekend - also Silver Linings Playbook.

Lincoln last weekend.

Hopefully Les Miserables which is coming very soon won't disappoint. I'll actually be getting up off my butt to go see that one in the theater.

Have to see it! Want to see if De Niro does a good job portraying a crazed Eagle fan!

silver10.jpg

Not to be a downer but in the one review I saw - which gave it an A- rating - the biggest negative point was that they do a poor job of portraying the gambling (which I guess is mainly Deniro) and it doesn't ring true. They said Deniro himself was okay and only lapsed into caricature a couple times but that specific bit didn't work.

One guy's opinion. :dunno:

Confused by yesterday's Dexter.

I had to go to imdb to check if it was the season finale.

It was not.

I'm not sure what's left of that particular arc. I don't see how chasing down the Jason Gedrick character would be particularly compelling. Maybe they have a surprise in store. I can't see that they would just move on clean to this fire murderer at this juncture. I guess it's possible but it would seem weird. Maybe someone will do something.

I bet someone does something.

I hope it's not the cat-and-mouse thing with Laguerta. I hope the plan is not to amp that stuff up. I got no interest in that.

It was nice of Jason Gedrick to shoot Isaac but not kill him and then just run away so Isaac would have a couple hours to spout philosophy anyway. It was a neighbourly gesture.

:handshake:

I thought Isaac was cool, sucked to see him go. Laguerta is annoying I bet her farts especially stink.