• Views 2,872 Views

Bread

Current Corpse
Since
Jan 20, 2010
Score
Tokens
Wow...where do I start?

Step Up 3D - I freakin' love these dopey movies. Stupid dance fighting and drumline battles and cheerleader wars. So revoltingly awesome!!!! And I'm not gonna lie, dem kids could dance! But that's not what this was about. It was about Robyn and I rockin' out in our 3D glasses guessing about 75% of the lines and plot "twists" before they happened. Glorious fun.

I actually think I want them to play this movie at my funeral.

Dinner With The Schmucks - Snoozer. A few laugh snuck in here and there of course. But for the most part, pass!

Saw VI - These movies crack me up. I mean, we always like to question what we would do in certain hypothetical situations. The Saw series takes that inner-reflection and shoves it in a meat grinder. PS - Scream Queens is the greatest VH1 reality show ever. Yes, even better than Brett Michael's Rock of Love Bus. That's right, I said it.

Two marvelous re-watches:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - This is everything that is good about film making. Super duper from beginning to end, and Kate looking as sexy as she ever has.

Pan's Labyrinth - Hey! Mexicans can make great movies as well! Who knew? This is the most depressing fairy tale one could ever see. At no point do you feel a sense of hope, and the the Spanish army captain has to go down as one of the best bad guys I've ever witnessed. Love this movie.

Scary!
images

Movies discussion - 8/16/10

Rented a couple of recent releases in the last week.

Death at a Funeral (2010) - Pretty much a "whatever" experience for me. 4.7 out of 10. The big question for me is, what has happened to director Neil Labute? His career started out in such an interesting way, alternately nasty, edgy, weird with stuff like The Company of Men and Nurse Betty and The Shape of Things - and this is where he has landed. Safe, broad mainstream comedy. Seems like a shame to me.

Trivia: this same source material was also made into a British movie just 3 years ago. Both versions star Peter Dinklage as the midget. So there's some trivia for you.

The Runaways - It's hard for me to understand why this movie was made. It's supposed to be the story of a 1970's all-girl rock band. The premise wold seem to have some promise and I think it could have worked if something actually happened but it really didn't. It's astonishingly uneventful and lackluster. There is a bit of drug abuse, they have a small spat or two. I know what you're thinking: "What? In a rock band? You're kidding!" Ultimately the band just fizzles out, barely worth a footnote.

Dakota Fanning has some jaibait lesbian kissing. Maybe that sounds interesting but meh. Nothing really goes anywhere. I might say it is a must-see for hardcore Runaways fans (if there is such a thing) but it is not even historically accurate. I saw where Joan Jett listed off about 10 things in the movie that didn't really happen. And she has a producer credit on the the movie. WTF is going on? I don't know. 4 out of 10.

Even If they make it to Saw CXXXVI I will have watched them all. Love me some silly gore.

And that is Twitch wearing the 78 jersey in Step Up 3D!!! Twitch is a bad ass and a SYTYCD all-star. :yes:

LOL! Juror merge these threads! :highfive:

Shit. I started a duplicate thread. I should have checked. Let it die.

Rented a couple of recent releases in the last week.

Death at a Funeral (2010) - Pretty much a "whatever" experience for me. 4.7 out of 10. The big question for me is, what has happened to director Neil Labute? His career started out in such an interesting way, alternately nasty, edgy, weird with stuff like The Company of Men and Nurse Betty and The Shape of Things - and this is where he has landed. Safe, broad mainstream comedy. Seems like a shame to me.

Trivia: this same source material was also made into a British movie just 3 years ago. Both versions star Peter Dinklage as the midget. So there's some trivia for you.

The Runaways - It's hard for me to understand why this movie was made. It's supposed to be the story of a 1970's all-girl rock band. The premise would seem to have some potential and I think it could have worked if something actually happened but it really didn't. It's astonishingly uneventful and lackluster. There is a bit of drug abuse, they have a small spat or two. I know what you're thinking: "What? In a rock band? You're kidding!" Ultimately the band just fizzles out, barely worth a footnote.

Dakota Fanning has some jaibait lesbian kissing. Maybe that sounds interesting but meh. Nothing really goes anywhere. I might say it is a must-see for hardcore Runaways fans (if there is such a thing) but it is not even historically accurate. I saw where Joan Jett listed off about 10 things in the movie that didn't really happen. And she has a producer credit on the the movie. WTF is going on? I don't know. 4 out of 10.

Matty it sounds like we coulda had a great movie weekend together.

What is SYTYCD?

So You Think You Can Dance, the dance show real men watch.

:wah:

Sorry. I start the thread and get a phone call. Some time passes. I tell myself to check before I post. I fail.

Merge or just let this one die.

LOL that you know him by name. That's awesome. Man them kids is loco!

Why did I see a preview at the theater for an animated movie about some desert lizard that isn't being released til MARCH 2011???? WE'LL ALL BE DEAD!!!

I feel like about a year ago I read about some movie that was due out sometime in the distant future that had some hot love scenes between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman. Did this somehow pass me by? Does this exist? Did I dream it? Muddy?!??!??!

I got A Cook's Tour Season 2 DVD from from the library.

I'll report back.

I saw Away We Go starring John Krasinski (or what the fuck ever) and Maya Rudolph. It had a lot of the awkward comedy that seems to be so prevalent these days, but not that much bust out laughing. It has a more serious tone than you'd expect as the newly pregnant couple search for a place to call home. Not bad. Not amazing. I think it'd be about a 5.2 on the Mudcat scale.

I disliked Away We Go quite a bit. I expected more from the director of American Beauty. This movie is so off-target, it makes me want to re-evaluate if American Beauty was actually as good as I originally thought.

Why did everyone they visit on their tour have to be a silly caricature? I almost always hate caricatures in movies. The Maggie Gyllenhall character stands out in my mind as the most epic fail. Awful.

I gave it a 4 out of 10.

hm, i wonder which is more accurate, the mudcat scale or the matty raines rating system

I feel like about a year ago I read about some movie that was due out sometime in the distant future that had some hot love scenes between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman. Did this somehow pass me by? Does this exist? Did I dream it? Muddy?!??!??!

I hadn't heard about it but some quick checking reveals that it's called Black Swan, due out December of this year. Apparently the hotties are rival ballerinas who end up in the sack together.

Of further note: it is a Darren Aronofsky film, director of Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler.

All kinds of potential there.

kunis_portman_20091021.jpg

Holy shit it's an Afonofsky film? Hell, that guy had his wife, Rachel Wiesz, get all kinds of sexy in a bathtub with Hugh Jackman in 'The Fountain' while he filmed!

The possibilities are endless here!!!!

hot love scenes between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman.

I hadn't heard about it but some quick checking reveals that it's called Black Swan, due out December of this year. Apparently the hotties are rival ballerinas who end up in the sack together.

kunis_portman_20091021.jpg

:ohmy: Oh shit oh fuck oh shit.