Movie Discussion 3/29/10

• Start date
  • Replies 31 Comments
  • Views 2,274 Views
I find Brad Pitt to be adequate. Oddly, the one movie I thought he was noticably sub-par in was Benjamin Button, for which he received an Oscar nomination. Perhaps it was not bad acting but rather a calculated choice to play the character without personality? I don't know.

That movie was so bad.....I tried to watch it 2 times and fell asleep both times...just completely uninteresting

I haven't been out to the theatre in awhile. Rented a few odds and ends this week.

Everybody's Fine - This was okay. Aggressively sentimental in parts. Like they were really pushing to make you cry. My gf cried. I didn't. It contained some truth about family life that I could relate to. Kinda draggy though. 5.2 out of 10.

Brothers - Pretty good. It was an exploration of the same major theme as the Hurt Locker. I didn't realize going in that it was a Jim Sheridan film and I have always liked him, going all the way back to My Left Foot. It ended up being pretty good. Not wow but pretty good. 7 out of 10.

The United States of Tara - This is not a movie but rather a Showtime TV series. We watched the entire first season which was 12 half hour episodes. We enjoyed it. It was an exploration of something you know is out there but you never really stop to think about. Like in the same way that Big Love explores the implications of polygamy, this show explores living with multiple personalities. It is not an all-time classic but I liked it enough that I will watch season 2 when it comes out.

I didn't list Benjamin Button because it bored me to tears.

Muddy...please tell me what pushed Everybody's Fine from a 5.0 up to a 5.2. What determined that they were going to receive that extra 20 cents from you? :popcorn:

Well, you know, when you start hovering around 5, it is borderline territory. It is decision time. Like am I actually saying thumbs up or thumbs down here? A call must be made. I don't like a lot of wishy-washy, namby-pamby shit in the Movies Discussion thread. I know a lot of people are depending on my rating.

I give this a slight thumbs up because it did contain some truth. It was a truth basically saying that families don't always communicate well which is not exactly earth-shaking news, however the chosen structure for presenting it with the Deniro character going around and observing things but suppressing his thoughts was kind of interesting. DeNiro was quite good and I could see my dad in him at times.

And I didn't want to just give it the absolute minimum possible thumbs up of 5.1 which would still be a bit of a slap in the face. It was better than that. It had something. So 5.2.

See how that works?

Brad Pitt is great, but I sort of agree with Amby in that he shouldn't have been cast in that role in Inglourious Basterds. That character screamed Woody Harrelson - the man wouldn't have had to fake the accent if anything.

Brad Pitt is great, but I sort of agree with Amby in that he shouldn't have been cast in that role in Inglourious Basterds. That character screamed Woody Harrelson - the man wouldn't have had to fake the accent if anything.

What the fuck does a Canadian know about a Southern American accent? Woody Harrelson is from Texas which is a good bit different sounding than a person from Tennessee (where Pitt's character was from). Being from Virginia myself and having to deal quite frequently with people who have that kind of drawl, I thought Pitt pulled it off well. I still chuckle at the "We in the Nat-see killin bidness. Anda bidness is a boomin let me tell me ya" line whenever I think of it. Very much southern redneck. Spot on, imo.

Besides, Woody Harrelson isn't going to sell tickets like Brad Pitt. They needed a star for that role and Harrelson isn't it anymore, if he ever quite was. That's not to say I don't like Woody, because I do very much so.

Watched a little of "Haloween" the other night. It was the remake that Rob Zombie did.
I made it about and hour into the movie before falling asleep. about average for me.
theres just something about his movies that I like, dont really know what it is, but there is...

cant remember that last movie I attempted to watch before this one.

got "Marley And Me" sitting on the kitchen table that me wife borrowed from a friend but havent watched it yet....
probally never will

What the fuck does a Canadian know about a Southern American accent? Woody Harrelson is from Texas which is a good bit different sounding than a person from Tennessee (where Pitt's character was from).

I totally knew that. :wah:

Cockboy.

burn after reading and ferocious female freedom fighters are two of the best movies......EVER!!!

You wanted to fall asleep during I Killed John Lennon but enjoyed A River Runs Through It?

Do you also like Howard's End?

got "Marley And Me" sitting on the kitchen table that me wife borrowed from a friend but havent watched it yet....
probally never will

Oh my. I had absolutely no clue what Marley & Me would be like.....make sure you watch it. Do it.