• Replies 31 Comments
  • Views 2,275 Views

Bread

Current Corpse
Since
Jan 20, 2010
Score
Tokens
Following The Great Gambling Beatdown of 3/27/10, I began a long break and took in some movies yesterday.

The Killing of John Lennon - Why did two movies come out at the same time about this topic? Was it some kind of anniversary or something? Either way, some social introvert decided that Lennon was a walking hypocrite in what he preached and his lifestyle. Everyone just CALM DOWN! Somewhat trippy in its style at times, but all in all, I wanted to take a nap.

UP - Truthfully this was only rented due to the Best Picture nomination. At first I was adverse to adding more nominations for the sole purpose of more movies gaining attention, that otherwise wouldn't have. I may have changed my mind. What a delightful little scoop of imagination. As expected, the Pixar graphics were just ridiculous. The story took my imagination to high levels. It was like reading Gulliver's Travels for the first time as a young boy. I would recommend to anyone.

Ferocious Female Freedom Fighters - I've owned this videotape for about 20 years, and it is hands down, the most retarded thing I've ever seen in my life. I love it. Tromaville, you know, the guys who gave us The Toxic Avenger and Surf Nazis Must Die, teamed up to take a really really really low budget Filipino martial arts film, and re-dub the entire film with pure nonsense. The general premise is that some honey is forced into an vicious underground wrestler's anonymous ring in order to raise enough money for her little brother's operation. He requires a Dickotomy, because the vein that should go to the tip of his dick, goes to the top of his head, and whenever he gets excited, he is in danger of his head exploding. Bravo. :clap:

250409.1020.A.jpg

I saw the original Walter Matheau version of the Taking of Pelham 123. Not a bad movie. It's about a group of hijackers who gain control of a NY subway train and demand ransom. It was interesting from a modern day perspective especially since the communication channels were so limited back then. It certainly wasn't the best movie ever but I was extremely hung over and bored. There was recently a remake of it with John Travolta apparently. Not sure how that one differs.

I also watched Letters to the President. I was about the letters that people write to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his populist approach in the country. It was a very interesting glimpse of life in Iran. It certainly doesn't look like an axis of evil. However, they don't delve much into the human rights aspect of the country. The poorer citizens write letters to the President in an effort to seek help for certain situations they're encountering in their life. They explain how Islam requires that those who are well off are supposed to help out those in need. It was definitely an interesting perspective and something that I think people in America should certainly watch in order to understand a bit more about their culture.

I watched "She's Out of My League" the other day. It's alright. There's a couple scenes that are just too over the top though and that takes away from the movie's charm. For instance, there's a scene where the main character is convinced by his friends to shave his balls before having an initial sexual encounter with this incredibly hot girl. I don't have a problem with this per se, as I keep a well manicured package myself. But the guy is having so much trouble with it that he allows his friend (who is married but you could swear is gay) to help him with the act. The next cut scene is his friend sitting on the toilet shaving away while you see the guy's bare ass from behind. The scene lasts a good minute or two and it's just ridiculous to the point that I couldn't laugh. It would never happen. Just like when the guy splooges on himself after about 10 second of this girl grinding on him....then her parents show up....then the dog attacks his crotch and proceeds to lick the dead babies off his pants. Just too over the top.

Don't waste money in the movie theater on this but if you are bored one night and there's nothing else on TV it's a decent time killer.

Well I watched quite a few movies this week....

G.I. Joe The Rise of the Cobra

So I knew going into this movie that it would be absolutely dreadful but I am a sucker for movies that remind me of my childhood. I mean, what little boy didn't have G.I. Joes and played with them for hours on end? So as far as quality of story is concerned it was real bad. It did hold my attention though and there were a TON of action sequences. They tried to jam a lot of different plot lines in a short time with too many flashbacks. I think their biggest problem is they tried to explain EVERYTHING. It also had a couple things that made you wonder, maybe that is around the corner. Sienna Miller looks odd with brown hair. Neither of the Wayens brothers can act and Channing Tatum may pick the worst roles in Hollywood. They also set this movie up for some future sequals, I am sure I will watch them. I know I am pathetic.

Paris, Texas

I saw this on recommendation by Matty Rain, as it was his "favorite" movie ever. Although very long and dragged on slightly at parts, I was pretty impressed with it. The movie takes place in a rural texas town in which a man comes back after being away for about 4 or 5 years. He comes to find out that his brother is now raising his kid and the movie is mostly about him trying to repair that relationship with his child and somewhat explaining why it was that he was gone in the first place. It is definitely a character study but one that was done very well. I would recommend this movie, but i have to say...be patient because I almost gave up on it after the first half hour.

Inglorious Bastards

I watched this because seemingly everyone told me that they loved it. I have to admit that it was pretty damn good. It is pretty typical Tarantino movie with a lot of swearing, gore, and some weird twists. It is a movie that you have to pay attention to due to the massive amount of sub-titles. In case not everyone knows it is set in World War II Europe....mostly France and follows the story of a group of people that are rising up against the Nazis. My biggest issue with this movie was Brad Pitt....man is he a bad actor. I cannot stand him. I think if they had replaced him with someone of better quality this movie could have jumped to one of my favorites.

Twilight: New Moon

This was watched as you can guess because Dancegirl wanted to check it out. It is a continuation of the first Twlight movie in which Bella Swan falls in love with a Vampire, Edward. In this movie Edward decides that he isn't right for Bella and leaves. In comes Jacob the Warewolf in which Bella instantly creates a strong bond. They become the best of friends and at every moment in the movie you wonder if they will turn it into more than friendship. I will say that this movie was a lot better done than the first Twilight movie but still a little dull. I realize that it was made for 15 year old girls and I am sure they ate it up. The movie definitely kept you hanging and set up the next few movies so this Twilight series isn't going away anytime soon.

Damn Amby, I couldn't disagree with you more on Pitt in general and especially his performance in that movie. I thought he was pretty hilarious.

I have to agree with Jello. I think Pitt is a very good actor. I have yet to see Inglorious Basterds. However, I can't think of a role I haven't liked him in.

I guess I am weird...I have always thought he sucked. Only movie two movies i liked him in, Meet Joe Black and Fight Club

Who doesn't like Brad Pitt???

Guys who are intimidated by his looks? :whistling: I'm just sayin....

This is Amby and Dance Girl in the movie theater:

Movies that I thought Pitt was great in:

A River Runs Through It
Cool World
Kalifornia
True Romance
Se7en
Twelve Monkeys (terrible movie though)
Sleepers
Fight Club
Snatch
Ocean's Eleven
Babel
Burn After Reading
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Ingloreous Basterds

Amby is crazy.

I forgot Burn After Reading....thought he was great in that.

I guess I am weird...I have always thought he sucked. Only movie two movies i liked him in, Meet Joe Black and Fight Club

I forgot Burn After Reading....thought he was great in that.

So you are telling us that you either haven't seen Snatch, or that you didn't think Pitt was totally awesome in that movie. I can't get my head around either of those two possibilities.

So you are telling us that you either haven't seen Snatch, or that you didn't think Pitt was totally awesome in that movie. I can't get my head around either of those two possibilities.

I saw Snatch but it was so long ago I honestly don't even remember it. I was younger and probably went with some chick in highschool...too worried about getting ass at the theatre than watching the movie...

You need to watch it again man. That's a fucking masterpiece.

Hitman

I finally can contribute. Saw Hitman based on the video game. Totally unrealistic, waste of time.

If you want a good hitman movie track down Assassination Tango with Robert Duvall. Plays a northeast wise guy that gets commissioned a job in Argentina to take out an old General from the 70s dictadura. The way he moves around the city, the way he blends in, hostels, visas. Good stuff.

Hitman was dopey.

Amby you lose your man card until you go watch Snatch again and get back to us. Seriously.

Do it before Ft Lauderdale or I'm making you wear a skirt.

Movies that I thought Pitt was great in:

A River Runs Through It
Cool World
Kalifornia
True Romance
Se7en
Twelve Monkeys (terrible movie though)
Sleepers
Fight Club
Snatch
Ocean's Eleven
Babel
Burn After Reading
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Ingloreous Basterds

Amby is crazy.

name me another actor with a better resume over the past 10 years. great list bread. the only actor i can think of other than brad pitt is bill murray.

I find Brad Pitt to be adequate. Oddly, the one movie I thought he was noticably sub-par in was Benjamin Button, for which he received an Oscar nomination. Perhaps it was not bad acting but rather a calculated choice to play the character without personality? I don't know.