More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 296,319 Views
tenor.gif

Here's the latest for us:

All Warehouse, CS and other Branch functions (hourly and salaried) will receive an additional $5 per hour on base pay for work conducted “on site” in the Office or Warehouse.

The other option being:

For all employees not willing or unable to work on site:
  • First 5 days will deduct from PTO
  • After PTO deducted, and the employee is still unable or unwilling to work on site, the employee will be paid at 2/3 of their base pay.

Business is really crazy though. I expected it to slow right down last week - but nope, not really.

I expected to spend a good part of today sitting with my thumb up my ass - but nope - it may have been a Sunday record.

Typically we would do ~650 lines on random Sundays in the Parcel Dept. Today we did 1082.

:dunno:

When I got home, there was an automated message from Uline (to all employees at all branches). It was saying how we are really busy and thanks to all the wonderful, marvelous people who have been going in to work - you're welcome - but we are having a hard time fulfilling all our orders.

So all the people who have opted to "take the deal" and stay home at 2/3 pay - that's being reduced to half.

I don't know what to make of that.

Obviously I would have preferred they increase the premium for people working rather than reduce benefits to those not. But I imagine what they did is more likely to produce the desired results.

It sure felt heavy-handed. If someone goes in and actually gets sick, that feels like lawsuit material.

At our branch, we're actually getting all the work done anyway. I mean, a little more help wouldn't hurt but that's been true since the start of January.

I just don't know what to make of it.

A buddy of mine was laid off but he's being asked to work from home for free while he collects EI. Management is still working and collecting a full paycheck.

I told him to go straight to the media with that shit but he's being a fag (and a sucker.)

But, is he actually working for free now or they just asked him?

A few years back, my friend was fired for failure to deliver and asked not to come to work while collecting pay for six months. They even paid for his relocation. Sometime after that, they recommended him to another company that was a better fit and he was hired. Such is the world of investment banking.

He's been working for free for several weeks now (while collecting unemployment). His employer is defrauding the government, among other things.

The company even has access to a 75% wage subsidy right now. But no.

Corporate bums.

Somebody should call the relevant government office. Even if he is hoping to get hired back in a few months, he is still a spineless fag.

Starting tomorrow, we are having our temperatures checked as we go in for our shifts.