More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 296,201 Views
There's a small but growing Indian community. A couple of the guys are perennial Top Dogs. Then there's another guy who is on the plaque a couple times - and probably would continue to get on there - but he moved to a job that is not eligible. I see the name Kalpesh as a multi-winner from the past - but he has left the company.

But in the last year we have hired a handful of new browns-browns - and they are getting themselves settled into the rotation - and it's like every one of them is crazy accurate. Like, when a guy graduates to a picker there is always a spate of errors right at the start - I was freaking awful for quite awhile - but not these guys. They just don't make errors. Some (most?) of them are not especially fast. But they are ACCURATE.

(I know we have discussed whether it is racist to "accuse" a group of something really positive - and some people think it is - but I have asked a few of these guys if they are offended by what I am saying here and they are not in the slightest.)

We had something like 25 call-outs (unscheduled absences) in the warehouse yesterday.

Gotta say, it is looking EXTREMELY unlikely that I will be repeating as Top Dog . . . not impossible but I would set the odds at +5000.

If someone was actually offering that line though, I would bet it. I would expect to lose - like I expect to lose any +5000 bet - but I see myself as a live dog.

So to speak.

Like, when a guy graduates to a picker there is always a spate of errors right at the start - I was freaking awful for quite awhile - but not these guys. They just don't make errors. Some (most?) of them are not especially fast. But they are ACCURATE.

You all better be 100% accurate else robots will take care of business.

I guess you have to think about that with all jobs but what we do is so funky and full of nearly infinite variations ---> I don't see it happening before I retire anyway.

How long till you retire? Will you then make a 'thoughts on retirement' thread?

~9.4 years barring some unforeseen development.

The thread could happen.

Happiest. Thread. Ever.

Had my review today - first ever as an employee. I was temping at this law firm and they hired me after my paternity leave around this time last year. Got a bonus and a raise. I could get used to this soulless defender of massive corporations gig.

I mentioned not long ago in this thread how I often bash my head on the racking. It was a jokey throw-away comment which was true then and remains true.

Well one of the guys at work has been hospitalized for over a week now with a concussion from doing that.

:ohmy:

Yeah, really. He'll be rich and we'll all have to wear hardhats for the rest of our worklives.

Today's poll question is: do you wish your workplace had a nap room?

I voted no. It's currently close but I am in the minority.