• Replies 969 Comments
  • Views 60,908 Views

mcbaseball10

Outnumbered
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
My feathered friend (random thoughts thread) visited me again today and I got some better pictures that I was way too excited about, so I decided I needed to share it with you guys. I know gregm appreciates good wildlife pictures. We are now pretty sure that we are looking at a Red Shouldered Hawk. Anybody ever seen one of these before?

2012.09.14_1.jpg

2012.09.14_2.jpg

2012.09.14_3.jpg

2012.09.14_4.jpg

Has some super sharp toes.

2012.09.14_5.jpg

2012.09.14_6.jpg

Last edited:
Remind me to post the picture of that raccoon who climbed onto our patio to play with, and hump, the GF's yoga mat.

I fucking hate birds.

Good thread though.

Thanks for the support pal. When the weather gets a little cooler, manatee pictures will be easier to capture as well.

We need more Avian and Aviary type threads here.

Nominated.

This one is from same spot on my balcony, January 2011. Appears to be a mother manatee and her pup.

2012-01-24_13-08-23_693.jpg

My feathered friend (random thoughts thread) visited me again today and I got some better pictures that I was way too excited about, so I decided I needed to share it with you guys. I know gregm appreciates good wildlife pictures. We are now pretty sure that we are looking at a Red Shouldered Hawk. Anybody ever seen one of these before?

Has some super sharp toes.

Where are you located? He looks kinda small so my guess is a Sharp - Shinned Hawk.

Mr. Quincy, I am in Miami and it does appear to be pretty small for a hawk. When I first saw it, I thought it was an owl. Upon further review, you probably are right in your identification > Sharp shinned hawk.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oddly enough, we have them here in Eastern Ontario too... Funny that we are so far apart and that they are in both places...must be nice to be able to travel back and forth for free!

I have noticed within the last 10 - 15 years that there seem to be more and more raptor type birds coming back in nature. I think that the DDT spraying did a lot of damage to their numbers. I never remember seeing them when I was younger and now they are on every 2nd power line. Also here in Ontario they released wild turkeys back into the environment. They had started the re-stocking with something like 16 pairs and now there are thousands and thousands of them running around.

Oddly enough, we have them here in Eastern Ontario too... Funny that we are so far apart and that they are in both places...must be nice to be able to travel back and forth for free!
There are some turkey buzzards from somewhere in Ohio that migrate to the Miami Dade Courthouse at approximately the same time every year. Snow birds.

Remind me to post the picture of that raccoon who climbed onto our patio to play with, and hump, the GF's yoga mat.

I fucking hate birds.

Good thread though.

Plommer LOVES birds of prey, especially owls.

Plommers favourite domesticated bird is the chicken.

PS: Quincy: Plommer has seen many wild turkeys in rural locations north of Toronto.
Alliston area in particular has huge numbers of the beasts.

PPS: Matty: Plommer used the word "location" as in location, and not how the French use it (rental).
ie "Location d'autos et camions ".

Does your buddy eat woodpeckers? They are destroying my siding. I shot down a few but they keep coming.

Does your buddy eat woodpeckers? They are destroying my siding. I shot down a few but they keep coming.

Woodpeckers are delicious but too small for a meal.

Bald eagles are much tastier and will fill you up.

What kind of siding? Woodpeckers are usually trying to get at bugs that are in there. I have a cedar log home and i have trouble with the little fuckers as well. Sometimes they do tap on the metal to try to attract mates I think.

I hate animals

The beasts that kill humans

And geese. I used to love to paintball geese back in the day

Nasty creatures

I've been trying to remember the name of a tv show about wildlife they used to show in the 80s for about 2 months now. It was produced in Spain and with Spanish presenters not dubbed.