Got a question. Kinda techyish

• Start date
  • Replies 542 Comments
  • Views 33,144 Views
It works. Kind of.

It plays but it skips and crackles quite a bit. What do you think? Should I just reload the drivers or something?

You installed that driver package or it started sort-of-working on its own? Either way, yes. Unplug the thing, reinstall the drivers, restart the computer and plug it in again.

I installed the driver package. I actually have Windows 7 - with Service Pack 1 - so it should be the same link as Windows 10.

But that's what was crackling and skipping.

I reinstalled and rebooted and everything - same result.

I also tried the links further down the page for just Windows 7 (as well as XP, Vista yada yada). They didn't work right either.

:mad:

Can I steal them from the old computer somehow? Everything works fine there. Like copy onto a stick and paste over here?

Or is that crazy?

Not completely crazy. I did that and it is working better than anything else. Maybe 5 minutes between skips. A few miscellaneous crackles if you listen close but not egregious.

I got a new TV. 50" HD smart TV.

I was just looking at gamelive on it. I thought of trying to post but it is so awkward typing that way when I can just take 2 and a half steps over here and type on a normal keyboard. My TV also has a feature where you can just talk - but it is predictably hit-and-miss. Like when I told it my handle is Mudcat, what came up was My cat.

No techyish questions at this point, just wanted to say it's quite a thing, my new TV.

Yap, so I got the new computer and TV and everything is settled in and operational.

Life is better.

I no longer watch anything on my computer. I can just put it on a stick and watch it on the big screen.

I am not an animal. I am a human being.

You could get a Chromecast for $45 and not even have to bother with the stick.

Well, maybe I'm a bit of an animal

iu

For someone I speak to so seldom, that is a remarkably on-the-money assessment. I intend to copy the whole thread to a Word file (or whatever) and refer to it in writing a book which I will probably start a few months down the line.

I want to make sure I have it in case the forum explodes to smithereens. Disaster insurance. And I figure it is tidier in that format than trying to copy/paste 550 (or whatever) normal pages.

I wouldn't say it is so much for "a new book project idea" as "a bunch of hopefully funny little filler ideas."

But yeah.

how's the book thing going?

The book is going just fine. I'm very happy with what I've got. It will still take some time though. Big project.

It's weird seeing my above comment. None of that happened as far as using RT's in the book, but I guess it made sense at the time.

Any thoughts on the best free protection from viruses and whatnot? My latest computer came with 1 year of Kaspersky which is about to run out (and has been a bit of a pain in the ass anyway.)

Haven't used a third-party antivirus in years. I just use Windows Defender. There's so much built-in protection these days, from your browser to your ISP's router/firewall.

Eset Muddy, it's light enough on system resources to not bloat your pc

try the free download, if you like it I'll give you a legit license before the trial expires