• Replies 60 Comments
  • Views 5,608 Views

Bread

Current Corpse
Since
Jan 20, 2010
Score
Tokens
Fellas we are on quite a roll again! 3 big wins, 1 dramatic push and one loss.

Scholar!!! Let's keep it going.

And to those of you who are skipping the GLPPOTD because it seems "off" to you on any particular day..shame on you!

If you already bet the other side, understandable.

Other than that, you are defeating the entire purpose of the very definition of GLPPOTD.

Let's get it together ladies and gentlemens.

:tank:

Alright Bread, I'm awake and on the job. My goal is to offer four different winners in different sports/leagues. Give me about an hour and I should have found the other two.

Trying to write a recap of the DWTS first show and I agree with Bread. The monkey and I are big on loyalty.

Alright guys, I've got four plays, and I'm about to start writing them up. Should I post them in order of start time or most confident?

BUTLER TEAM TOTAL OVER 65.5 (50Pennies)

Okay, then the first play is:

BUTLER TEAM TOTAL OVER 65.5 (50Pennies)

This is my only decent-sized play on the NCAA Tournament games played today. Butler has averaged 70 points per game all season, and Kansas State has allowed on average 70 points per game. Butler shoots the free throw at 74% as a team and Kansas State is in the Top 10 nationally of fouls committed. Butler is aware of this and will drive into the lane just like they've bee doing all season long.

Butler is riding a 20+ game winning streak and I really don't see there being any quit in this team. I think they'll start fouling with two minutes to go if they're down late in the game, which means more offensive possessions and hopefully more than 65 points by the final buzzer.

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS -3.5

Play No. 2:

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS -3.5 (+100 @ Matchbook)

The Blazers find themselves fighting for playoff seeding once again at the stretch run, and tonight's appearance offers an opportunity to draw even with San Antonio for the 7th seed (and a likely meeting with division foe Denver). The Blazers have finally integrated Marcus Camby into their schemes and fine-tuned the rotation to get the most out of their new defensive star. When Portland travelled to New Orleans earlier this year they won by 8, covering a similar three point spread from the 9 minute mark in the 1st quarter all the way to the final horn.

Portland is one of the hottest teams in the West, winning 8 of their last 10. They're also one of the West's more consistent road teams at the spread, covering the number as a road favorite in 19 of 26 such scenarios this season. Couple this with the fact that the Hornets know that their season is over and I think we have an excellent bet here.

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA

The third play happens to be my favorite:

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA (+140 @ DSI) over Nadia Petrova

I absolutely love it when really talented players (especially on the women's tour) have a string of crappy results and only to visit a tournament which suits their style of play and tear through the competition without warning, generally winning as a dog for the first four rounds at least. Today we have such a circumstance where Daniela Hantuchova (known far and wide as having the hottest legs on tour) comes up against (horseface) Nadia Petrova, the ladies ranked 25th and 18th respectively.

Hantuchova had a spectacular start to the month, reaching the finals at Monterrey, but got steamrolled by champion Pavlyuchenkova and then losing inexplicably in the first round of Indian Wells to a true mug, Roberta Vinci. Now she appears in Miami well-rested and looking determined, with a draw which gives her an easy road to the quarterfinals (save Petrova), something she has yet to do here in her career.

Petrova on the other hand has been playing a reduced schedule, not even making an appearance at Monterrey and losing in the third round at Indian Wells in an epic choke job to Wozniacki. Most important to note is that both women have played Patty Schnyder of Switzerland this month; Daniela won comfortably in straight sets while Nadia only squeaked out a win in the third set after playing 31 total games. Petrova's first opponent in Miami was nearly 40 year old Kimiko Date Krumm of Japan and that match was decided in a tiebreak.

Petrova simply doesn't have the recent form to get a win here today, and the bettors know it too. Petrova has defeated Hantuchova in all four previous meetings stretching back to 2003. However, Daniela opened at +160 last night and has been slowly dropping ever since, as it's obvious that this moment offers a prime setting for the upset. This was a gut feeling since I first saw it on the draw, and the odds dropping seems to confirm my hunch. This is my biggest play of the day, I could write another three paragraphs on why it makes sense.

MONTREAL CANADIENS

My final play of the day is:

MONTREAL CANADIENS (+104 @ Matchbook) vs. New Jersey Devils

I haven't been following enough hockey this season to break-down this matchup adequately, but my super-secret hockey system generated this as a play today and it looks good to me. Montreal has been outperforming the odds for most of the season and strike me as a live home dog with Halak in the crease tonight. The Devils lead the season series 2-1, but Montreal's victory is the most recent. Also, the Devils have lost four in a row on the road, all while looking to clinch the second seed in the playoffs.

I just don't see as much fire in the Devils down the stretch after a very successful season so far. Montreal is a great home team and they are all too aware that New Jersey is a likely first-round playoff opponent. They'll want to send a message to New Jersey, and a weekend game on national television in the U.S. would be a great time to do it.

Speaking of TV games, it seems that more penalties are called on these NHL Network games to "keep the excitement up" and with Montreal owning better skills at the Power Play and Penalty Kill a lot of things are breaking in their favor for them to still be a home dog. Not to mention that a fascination with Quebec seems to be a hallmark of our forum, and the first poster I ever slept with was from Montreal (love you, Matty!), I simply couldn't fail to make them a play in my inaugural GLPPOTD slate.

Thanks for all the hard work, RS.
I will vote for Portland but would be happy with any of them except Hantuchova (just about the flakiest player I have ever seen).

I am off out to dinner soon, should be back around 6pm ET and am planning an early night so that I can get up and watch the F1.
As such I would be delighted if the vote is decided by then.

TV Schedule for GLPPOTD options (all times EDT):

Butler Bulldogs vs. Kansas State Wildcats - 4:30PM - CBS

New Jersey Devils at Montreal Canadiens - 7:00PM - NHL Network

Portland Trail Blazers at New Orleans Hornets - 8:00PM - NBA Network

Daniela Hantuchova vs. Nadia Petrova - 9:00PM - Fox Sports Net regional stations

Thanks RJ, I really wanted to do a good job for my first day as GLPPOTD picker. I really like all these plays, I hope for at least three winners in the bunch.

I know zero about tennis and hockey so I'll have to lean towards Portland (even though I'm not a fan of road faves).

Wow! Mighty impressive work there. For putting so much work into it, I'm going large on winning vote. VERY large.

I'm voting Butler team over.

Have about another hour til decision time.