Gamelive poker talk

• Start date
  • Replies 141 Comments
  • Views 9,592 Views
Yes but only if you're original raise is big, and the stacks are huge. I would not fold kings pre flop unless I had to all in 1-1 or more. That is if there's 20 in I raise to 50 and the other guy reraises, if I have another 140 or less Id all in, otherwise fold

I don't think I'd make a small raise and re raise. Perhaps just call at that point

The reason for the $15 raise was to try to disguise it as a steal attempt but at the same time make it a reasonable enough price for someone to dive in if they should be so inclined. With all those players limping I can't limp....but I had been at that table a few hours and had played very few hands so I knew they all knew I was tight....so that's why not a higher price because I did want action. Also there a couple smaller stacks of $90 or so that I was trying to induce a shove from with their sub par limping hands.

His rereaise actually was $27 which I agree is strange (not being double my bet) because I know the amount of my 4 bet was definitely $55.

Its the nitty side of me (and some run bad lately) that wonders if I made a bad 4 bet there.

The answer in my opinion is no because if he was making that move with AK or similar that bet handled that - this guy was too good to insta shove on the 4 bet with an inferior hand for all that money. Like you said Tron - chop at best; very likely losing to aces there.

I feel I lost the minimum here which is good - a month and a half ago I wasn't losing the minimum in these spots.

Excellent poker/golf metaphor, tronner.

I Appreciate it fellas.

:cheers:

I brought up the $15 pre-flop raise because at my local $1/$2 game if you make it $15 after 6 people limp, you’re going to get at least 3 callers.

Right, I think that may have happened except that the 6 seat reraised me to the $27 which scared everyone else off but yes with the $15 I am hoping for a couple of callers.

One thing I am dealing with is as much as I love this room, the regs have an identity on me that if I raise it's only aces or kings, etc. etc. They've pretty much told me that to my face. I had a high level player in town for a big tourney they ran that told me should open raise with suited connectors etc. to up my roi. He was just passing through and we clicked so I know he wasn't trying to steer me towards bad play or anything like that.

I know some run bad (not enough to jeopardize my roll or anything, but yeah five straight sessions is a little frustrating) can get you over analyzing things and it's mostly being card dead and some bad coincidences etc. so we'll see where things go.

I've been told this is one of the best PLO rooms on the east coast and I believe it from the way those guys bet when PLO is not running and they play 1/3 while waiting for it. I've wanted to splash into it but not while I'm on a variance stretch and my roll has been been taking hits.

So yeah probably just grind it out, minimize mistakes and wait for variance to pass here, but some things to think about.

Anyway it's good you're thinking about these things.
One reason to reraise is if you're thinking the guy is reraising, thinking you're trying to steal the limped call money with a marginal hand.
Unless it's a pretty tough game that's probably not happening. Calling the small reraise with big stacks and looking to flop a set or possible draw would be my preference. If nothing else you get to see what he does on the flop. With small stack reraise enough to commit. Personally not crazy about the idea of raising and folding Kings pre-flop.

I would definitely start raising pre-flop in late position with suited connectors at least 75% of the time and suited gappers at least 50% of the time. Your callers are going to miss the flop 75% of the time.

Yeah you're right Reno, with my assessment of him as a solid player and given his stack size I should have put him on aces and flatted his 3 bet looking for a set of Kings. I mean it was only $12 more dollars to do that with implied odds of much more if it hit.

Noted on connectors/gappers Tron, I will keep that in mind man.

Real bad ten day stretch run there with seven straight losing sessions. It started with some run bad, then some tilty play, then a monster tilt session featuring drifting to PLO which is NOT my game. Rallied back with a very nice and very disciplined session Saturday.

I've chosen to give the recruiting thing another go in combination with poker. Last time it didn't go well because I didn't have enough reserves for a full commish job and I stopped playing poker. It's kind of a strange reversal from what would be the case for most people, but for me poker is the grinding it out full time job and recruiting is the chasing the dream part time thing. If I can get people hired the commission rates are extremely high but I do need to keep playing at least 50 hours of poker a week. Plus I want some balance in my life besides poker, and let's be honest - in the dating world being a recruiter is much more sellable than a wannabe pro poker player.

On a deeper level the element of hurting people's feelings by way of finding ways to extract money from them really bothers me. Not that I'll give up on the game, it's just a sad truth to that existance. Recruiting offers a chance to genuinely help people and change their lives which can mellow out some of the poker self hatred.

So, we already knew this fellas but if you're running bad in poker you MIGHT not want to take your tilt to PLO.

:facepalm

Being a beginner PLO player on tilt is about one of the worst imaginable poker situations.

Yeah man total amateur stuff. At one point I told myself at roughly 4 am with my only opponents being two excellent PLO players, "You know what, screw this buy in. The amount that this will piss me off will further encourage me to play NL the right way".

Which is actually is true to an extent but hey - we're not here to throw away $900 to learn a powerful lesson.

We're here to make money.

Unreal.

I took some time off of poker to get this recruiting stuff going, and drank a lot.

The ads r up and the phone for them awaits.

So ok I guess my life is good enough to be able to do that, and that's cool.

So it's back to poker.

Note to self - try not to suck, dickhead.

Alright I promised I wouldn't talk about bad beats but dammit I need to vent.

Thurs/Fri we do a 20 hour session that was going well but does not end well in large part due to this.

About 9:30 am I am at a table with mostly morning grinders. I did some light loose aggro stuff to try to show that I was on tilt or whatever, to set them up.

KhKs in the hole. Decent local grinder (with about $300) raises to $25, the one loose donk (with about $120) at the table calls. I hesitate and look as frustrated as possible (like I'm trying to make a lame steal attempt) and raise it up to $55. Both call.

Flop is K 10 4 with 2 diamonds. I try to look as discouraged as possible and check and it works, the initial raiser raises to $135. The donk folds, I snap shove and raiser snap calls.

Turn and River both diamonds that don't pair the board and he flip AdKd for the nuts. What makes it more annoying is this guy annoys me a little and he's 2/2 in big pots against me with the other one being me flopping a set of Aces, him 5's and him turning quads.

Despite the result of the play I think the whole setup leading to it was very good on my part, as well as the acting job - he's played me many times and I still got him to blast as a severe underdog.

But what r ya gonna do, this is the nature of the beast. It is gambling to an extent, after all.

I do not like heading in discouraged which I still am but big tourney in town so I gotta try to catch those guys as they bust out and steam.

Run good, crew.

:cheers:

I fucking crushed this weekend for real. Strrrrrrrrrrr8 PROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

and

it's time to make the fam feel alright

Where he been?

Yesh. It's realz. IT IS REALZ.

ALL ABOUT THE FAM THO

Still want the side biz to work though.

YOLO.

One time.

#blitz