For those that love Pho ...

• Start date
  • Replies 60 Comments
  • Views 2,603 Views
This makes me want to whip some up...if I had an extra few hours.

noodles... we got 3 bags for the amount of pho broth we are making

20141217_120255_zpssot4ebnr.jpg

yellow onion

20141217_121003_zpskvx9fuzj.jpg

onion and bean sprouts and a few limes not pictured

20141217_121123_zps8p7mojql.jpg

basil and cilantro... (they were out of asian cilantro, which is preferred...get it if they have it)

1dc3ac67-6a1f-4f66-b6c9-bdc9f5e1b176_zps19a232a3.jpg

flat iron steak for tenderness... (cut this shit up as super thin as you can)

7ff64483-340e-46da-9e6d-6cbc104be5ec_zpsaeea7c00.jpg

Put the meat in the freezer til it is just about frozen, it's easier to cut it thinly that way.

This makes me want to whip some up...if I had an extra few hours.

:lol: You dont have to watch the soup simmer for 2 hours :lol:

Thank you for the recipe Ray. I have always wanted to learn it because I have access to huge amounts of beef bones for free on occasion. I have a woodstove at my cabin and could simmer a big pot of it for hours. I never knew about the flavor packets; that should be easy to find in GTA.
@Matty; there is a huge Asian grocery down by The Docks... and there is also one around Bloor/Christie. I will let you know asap when I find where to get it.

For any of you that have never been to a Vietnamese restaurant, this is how the Pho goes down.

The most basic one is served with rare beef(Pho Tai) and then they may have another 10 or 12 variations of it. You can add well done beef(the stuff cooked in the broth), tendon, tripe, beef balls or a parlay of any of these. They usually give you a plate on the side of sprouts, lime, cilantro and basil and a hot pepper. I usually crack the pepper in half and plop it in there and spoon out the broth from beside the pepper. I take the pepper out after about 3 minutes as the broth gets too spicy for me after that.

I know for a fact that true restaurant pho broth has an insane amount of stuff in it. I used to frequent this one spot for about a decade and I got to know the chef very well. She told me they throw multiple whole chickens, roasts, brisket etc in there. Authentic Pho recipes are closely guarded family secrets and unless you have an insane pallet, you could never possibly unlock the recipe.

Last edited:
yeah, the pho soup base stuff and the bag of herbal mix are what gives it the distinct flavor and smell ... its not pho without both ... the authentic way, using beef broth and beef bone, takes forever... some simmer it for a full day ... add a bit more of the pho soup base and a bit more of the herbal mix ... there are different times to add ingredients... i havent learned all that stuff yet

the gf eats it mainly with chicken... she boils the full chicken breasts until done and lets them soak in the broth for a while before eating....

teela, the hardest part about this recipe is chopping up the onions/cilantro/cutting the meat thin... it really takes no time at all... the stove does all the work

what do vietnamese eat on xmas? Pho, of course...

20141225_163224_zpslkiicdgr.jpg

actually we had fried turkey and ham etc. with the gf's family and Pho is what we ate over our friends party last night... that pot holds 3-4 15 pound dogs... so im told :wah:

some tendon for Mr.Quincy ...

20141225_191041_zps3ntqrkva.jpg

I am hitting the Asian Grocery store this afternoon. I am going to search for some of the key ingredients there...with any luck I can find the crazy bag of spices.

Pho is phucking good when cooked properly. Always too much coconut milk and not enough Thai peppers for my likeness.

I am hitting the Asian Grocery store this afternoon. I am going to search for some of the key ingredients there...with any luck I can find the crazy bag of spices.

every asian grocery will have it... probably a few different brands, but same stuff... its the main ingredient... without it, you dont get pho broth ... its best to just ask someone to help you find it... tell them that you are making pho and get them to grab their preferred brand...

I got some of the packages... 1.99 each... I will try to make some later on in the week.

I've made the broth and today we dine on Pho a la Ray Ray.

I've been in a steady routine past 6 months of playing tennis biweekly and getting pho after.

It seemed weird at first but now it would be odd if we didn't get post tennis pho.

Steady routine boys.

Say, that sounds pretty healthy.

I'm on 3 hours sleep if that and no workout for 3 days and I have a pretty girl from the internet I slightly mouthed off to expecting a picture of me to add to her phone today but I look 5 years older than I am because of no sleep or exercise.

But whatever Blitty, you always win and I always lose (except at poker).

So eat shit.

If a bear eats salmon and poops it out is that like sushi or sashimi?